Gambling solicitor spared immediate jail sentence over 'eye watering' fraud

MrUKHackz

A solicitor who lost his career as a "tragic" result of gambling addiction has been spared jail for fraud.

Nathan Horsley spent an "eye watering amount" of money each month placing stakes with various gambling firms and started using high credit loans and pawn shops to raise cash to spend.

The 37-year-old has been on trial accused of stealing £17,685 from clients at his firm Hedley's and Co in Fawcett Street, Sunderland, between 2011 and 2013, to help fund his habit.

Horsley, of Ashfield Close, Hartlepool, appeared to wipe away tears as he stood in the dock today and was found not guilty of a total of 16 theft charges by the jury.

image.png

At the conclusion of the trial, Horsley was given a suspended jail term for seven fraud offences he was found guilty of, by a different jury, last summer.

The offences, committed between 2016 and 2018, involved Horsley placing orders for goods, including fireworks, high value hampers, Thorntons chocolates and M&S giftcards, when he had no money in his bank to cover the costs.

Horsley was not successful in some of the orders he placed but caused an estimated total loss of £2,000 to companies with the ones that did succeed.

Judge Amanda Rippon sentenced him to two years imprisonment, suspended for two years.

The judge told him: "I acknowledge you have spent the last five years in extremely difficult circumstances. You have been punished on multiple occasions in multiple different ways.

"You are not the man of those years ago.

"Your personal life has been effected. You have lost a great deal over the last five years.

"By your convictions last summer, you will never practice as a solicitor, something you worked hard for."

Judge Rippon added: "I am of the view, and I am sorry you don't think you are, that you are in a terrible addiction.

"Gambling is an appalling addiction when someone is in the thrall of it.

"The way you were able to gamble, the amount of money you were able to recycle, reload, the way you had to pawn items to get money, use high credit loans to get the money speaks of the appalling thrall gambling holds you in.

"I can only hope when you saw the figures, that were eye watering, that you start to have some understanding of the damage it is doing.

"It is not a way to make money.

"There is no doubt, gambling is the reason why you are no longer able to practice as solicitor, which is tragic."

Cited from Hartlepool Mail

• Agree 1
  • Keeemon 1

On 03/09/2019 at 22:18, Denman said:

Now, Nathan dear chum. I do quite like you as I think you're one of the more intelligent people on here but come now Squire. Get off your high horse. You're quite possibly the (allegedly) dodgiest person on the forum and you're currently collecting personal details from a whole bunch of the shit for brains regulars. I wonder if they had the capacity to think and discovered some of these things about you if they would be so willing to part with their personal details. Also the forum management are allowing  this to happen? ?

☺️

Just now, Miller26 said:

Yes you were right champ 

Of course. I posted warnings, but I can't find them, maybe been deleted. But no one listened to me. Probably first called him out as being a dodgy feck, sometime back in 2018 when he was trying to sell all sorts of hotel packages etc to me and a few others.

1 minute ago, Denman said:

Of course. I posted warnings, but I can't find them, maybe been deleted. But no one listened to me. Probably first called him out as being a dodgy feck, sometime back in 2018 when he was trying to sell all sorts of hotel packages etc to me and a few others.

I know you did as you warned me to be fair. 

2 minutes ago, Denman said:

Agreed and you defended me when he was asking for my personal and professional details to be posted online 

4 minutes ago, MrUKHackz said:

No I didn't, I had a few messages from a few regulars and I told them all the same, he is apparently a fraudster and linked them to his newspaper article

You had the same messages from him offering hotels etc. I swear we even had a chat about it where I linked you the articles etc or it might have been Paul and that was a long time ago.

I think he was lucky to find a sympathetic judge and only get a suspended sentence   who felt sorry for him.   I bet this will not be his last day in court as he seems to wwant to take the "easy money"  from scamming and robbing client funds,   the fact that he did try and scam more money from people after losing his job says it all for me.   

I knew plenty of people like him in the past that no matter how much they were earning would not try and live within their means and would constantly be stealing or scamming to fund something or other.

2 minutes ago, MrUKHackz said:

No I didn't, I had a few messages from a few regulars and I told them all the same, he is apparently a fraudster and linked them to his newspaper article

3 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

In hackz defence he was threatening liabil. Think its a lesson for us all mate. 

I'm certainly less trusting of people on here if I'm honest 

Not having a go lol just wondered if it was just public knowledge 

• Keeemon 2

1 minute ago, Denman said:

You had the same messages from him offering hotels etc. I swear we even had a chat about it where I linked you the articles etc or it might have been Paul and that was a long time ago.

Yes he would offer me his wares but not once did he ask if he could message the locals and I certainly did not recommend my mate @4houghts for 6 x 5 star rooms at £60 a pop ffs!