Ever had any good buys if eBay?

adamuk

Has anyone had any really good buys off eBay, where the item was listed wrong etc?

I look and have always done for hours looking for listing errors etc, I have brought Gold listed under scrap quite a few times and today I brought something very interesting that I have been keeping a close eye on for a week, it had (for me) everything going for it, silly end time 0956 on a Monday, terrible listing heading which read "Most interesting please read the text" who lists and item like that, as people will simply not find it ever (good for me) and it was listed under "Antiques" 

I paid £28.00 I have a hunch it's Gold and Medieval most probably an insert to a ring, it's a small item but weighs loads at 12.22g which is maybe a little giveaway to what it is made from.

Time will tell and I will keep you posted, if the stars line up and my hunch pays off it is worth ££££££ if not it got me excited for £28.00 and I will relist correctly and still make a profit I'm sure.

Screenshot_20190916_095644_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190916_095701_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20190916_095715_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

• Chaching! 1
  • Keeemon 4

Bought a leather jacket that was allegdly worn by Las Vegas mob capo Anthony Spilotro for 60 quid, purchased it from a seller in Vegas with a letter of authenticity. Sent images of the jacket to Spilotros underboss Frank Cullota who got back to inform me that he never seen the guy wearing anything like that and highly doubted Spilotro ever owned it. Relisted the item and unbelievably someone else in Vegas paid £160 for it.

Edited by Blacko
  • Love 1
  • Keeemon 2

GTFIT @adamuk   be interesting  if it has dirt on it when it arrives as it looks like it has been dug up from someones garden or a metal detector find.   I would have thought a detectorist would have at least had it looked at but you never know.   It definitely has the look of an older nearly pure gold item about it.    Face has the  look of a roman god  or the green man about it.

I hope it turns out to be the real deal for you and as you say well worth the risk at that price

• Keeemon 1

It's the size to weight ratio that intrigues me to be honest, I found a Gold Starter that I put pics up last week they weigh 5.3g (ish) and they are smaller diameter, I guess it could be Bronze at a push.

Only one way to find out when I get it I will hit it with some Acid, and hope it doesn't turn Green ?

25 minutes ago, stone said:

Hi Adam,

dont you think that looks recast? With that weight youre sure to have got your moneys worth but imo I wouldnt say its remotely old. Have you tested the metal purity? Ive noticed an awful lot of jewellery appearing with hallmarks but the quality of the pieces do not ring true (poorly casted claddagh rings and such), they are such poor quality castings. I wonder if many of these are being knocked up firstly to get rid of stolen gold and secondly to fool unaware buyers. I know you deal in gold, I used to but have now gone for trading antiques.

I agree somewhat but I thought for the sake of £28.00 it was worth a punt and as I say listed property as "Unknown Metal Detecting Find" I think it will do more anyway, and I might be lucky.

It looks debased to me a bit like this that I dug up last week, and have since resold for £800. 

I only purchased this morning so I will update this good or bad once arrived.

What sort of Antiques do you deal in I'm always up for buying, or swapping I can lay my hands on most items through my network of dealers.

Yes loads of dodgy Gold going round at the moment my favourite are the Gold Sovereigns that are 18ct, they don't weigh right either (7.2g) and you wouldn't think it's worth the hassle but if you do the maths it is. 

I got caught out as most of my mates did years ago when mossinites first appeared, as all we had was Diamond testers and they fool them, I lost about £1000 but I know one dealer who lost his business over it sadly, of course today we are have proper testers.

Triple plated hallmarked necklaces were another one, you had to file and file and file to get down to base metal, and we were all reluctant to do that as it spoiled a perfectly sellable item.

Mindfield really. 

IMG_20190909_130048.jpg

IMG_20190909_135501.jpg

7 minutes ago, stone said:

At the moment Adam,

Im buying up George III potboard dressers cheap as chips, £100. I then doing any work on them myself. Picked up a beautiful grandfather clock yesterday from 1830 for £150 and later today Ive got a huge 5ft long French 18th C coffer being dropped over for nothing just the petrol money. Im taking a punt on a lot of it and sitting on it until/if the market recovers. I live in "gods waiting room" with lots of old retirees constantly popping their clogs and their kids selling their stuff with no idea of its age/worth.

I also collect oddities. I picked up a small sherd of an Egyptian statuette showing the head of Isis dating from the Ptolemaic period, cost £1 from a tat shop. Another good find was an 18th C spice box from Rajasthan for £4, should be good for a few hundred.

Are you just buying at scrap value or would you consider slightly above spot for usable jewellery? I dug mine out yesterday and have some reasonable bits; 29g mens claddagh 9ct, small claddagh 9ct need to weigh, 14ct gold del boy bracelet. Iall over 130g of gold plus 10g gold bar and 2.5kg of silver bars with vat receipts.

Sent you a message.

2 hours ago, adamuk said:

Sent you a message.

KK @adamuk looks like you and @stone are kindred spirits. Adam, he is not allowed to play the 'whats on my shelf' game...... too knowledgeable. LOL

Im impressed with anyone that restores furniture, my grandad used to do it, and is a labour of love for the time being, especially with prices being so slow atm. It's a true art. You never know when things will come back into fashion.

13 minutes ago, Crunchienut said:

KK @adamuk looks like you and @stone are kindred spirits. Adam, he is not allowed to play the 'whats on my shelf' game...... too knowledgeable. LOL

Im impressed with anyone that restores furniture, my grandad used to do it, and is a labour of love for the time being, especially with prices being so slow atm. It's a true art. You never know when things will come back into fashion.

I have a few things I'm sure that will confuse him ??

8 hours ago, stone said:

A couple of possibly my most lucrative finds but who knows. Neolithic tools, if carlsberg did stone tools.... This is a chinese bi disk as placed in high statues burials and a stone sediment core chisel. Sotherby past sales results for these below.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?query=neolithic bi

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

PLEASE tell me you didn't polish that!!

UPDATE.

Received today looked right felt right weighed right..................

Decided to Acid test it........

It went Green so not right ?

Brass sadly.

I might melt some Gold down and take a cast off it, So all is not lost (yet)

Onwards.

Edited by adamuk
  • Agree 1
  • Keeemon 1

25 minutes ago, adamuk said:

UPDATE.

Brass sadly.

Onwards.

Thats a shame but I guess you expected it .   I say it was worth the risk because if he it been gold it would have been  a nice profit

13 hours ago, adamuk said:

UPDATE.

Brass sadly.

Onwards.

Unlucky but like you said at that prize was silly not to give it a try

• Keeemon 1

On this topic of Antiques and Collectables I have a few friends in the game that always say they never have had a bad deal, I can assure you they have, we all have I could list countless times I have done my money on the next "sure thing" people in my game generally are not honest sadly, i have said before I don't Gamble anymore, technically that is true however many times I have laid out ££££££ to only wipe my face and at times take a small lost, and at times I'm glad to get my money back, or say to myself when I'm in say £1000 that I have got £850 back I will take that, sound familiar to playing the Slots or Tables hey ?

You only learn through time and losing, my friend wanted to get into the game and I said they could come with me to auctions etc, I went with at the time all the "spare cash" I had about £800 and spent it all on a hunch and brought one item, I was lucky in my hunch paid off and I sold the same day for £1800, so off we went the next day to Newark Antique Fair armed with £1800, I spent my money on a few things and put in an auction the following week, my friend came along once more to observe, my items after commission made £1200 lol he was horrified at that, and said how do I keep so calm? Easy I said as in my mind I was £400 up still.

He never got in the game as he didn't have the correct mindset to see I was playing with profit, again sound familiar to Slots and Tables? 

So I do Gamble everyday, BUT the big difference is I never loose the lot and wake up the next day with that guy wrenching feeling. 

???

• Keeemon 1