CHELTENHAM 2019, Lets arm ourselves

spursman

Right with about 6 weeks away, and trainers starting to send their big guns out, with reports of their well being, I think we should start a thread to keep an eye on things to hep us get a better understanding of what is likely to run, to win and how strongly they are fancied. Some of us watch racing a lot, listen to trainer comments, watch re runs of races and look out for horses to follow.

If you hear a trainer or read a view of a horse by a trainer, jockey pundit that is worth noting please copy and paste or type here. Cheltenham is tough as we all know, I tend to do really well on the first day and blow out the rest, because my preparation is limited and due to time constraints and bad time management I have not done the sufficient research to arm me for the other days. Together with 6 weeks maybe if we all put our hats on we might be able to do better. I will start off with last years RSA winner, who went in last week first time out and is favourite now for the Gold Cup. 

The potential 2019 Cheltenham Gold Cup runners include Presenting Percy, who has won races at the last two Cheltenham Festivals, including the 2018 RSA Chase. He has been given a sparing campaign this season, but his trainer Pat Kelly is a master at getting his horses to peak at the Cheltenham Festival. The 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Native River was second behind Bristol de Mai in the 2018 Betfair Chase at Haydock and then chased home Clan des Obeaux and Thistlecrack in the 2018 King George VI Chase at Kempton, two top-class races which often point towards the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner the following spring. The 2017 King George winner Might Bite, who was second to Native River in the 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup, has disappointed so far this season and needs to be rejuvenated by a wind operation when heading to Cheltenham in March. The leading contender from the Willie Mullins yard – which is remarkable still searching for its first Cheltenham Gold Cup winner – appears to be Kemboy who made all the running in the Savills Chase at Leopardstown over Christmas.

Edited by spursman
  • Puke! 2
  • Keeemon 3

PRESENTING PERCY -      GOLD CUP

Presenting Percy became an even warmer favourite for the Magners Gold Cup at Cheltenham when, having his first start of the season, he won a second Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park on Thursday. Afterwards he was cut from 4-1 to 3-1 favourite across the board.

The Pat Kelly-trained eight-year-old, last seen in March when winning the RSA Chase at Cheltenham where he also won the previous season’s Pertemps Hurdle, beat Bapaume and another Gold Cup entry, Killultagh Vic, by a 1¼ lengths and a head. However, it was the manner in which he did it that impressed.

In a race that contained as many chasers as hurdlers, Davy Russell took up a position in the middle of the field for the first 2½ miles, before, sitting motionless, he moved Presenting Percy into contention.

They just about landed upsides the leader at the second-last and once in front halfway between the last two flights Presenting Percy pricked his ears and, from then on, did not appear to be doing any more than he had to.

Russell was delighted. “Pat’s record speaks for itself, he put all the thinking in [about where to run], I just had to wait for the call,” he told Racing TV. “He’s a bit of an old pro. He’s trained by a very professional man and the owner – Philip Reynolds – has to get a lot of credit. Obviously you’d like to run him but they trusted Pat.

Reynolds, son of the late Taoiseach Albert, said: “It’s been a long winter. We’ve been very, very patient. You can see from the reception he got, people love the horse. We have waited and waited for the ground and we’d have looked some fools it hadn’t been soft.

“Having missed Christmas we said we’d like to get two runs in before the Gold Cup and he will come back for the Red Mills in three weeks. I’ve had a lot of horses, a lot of bad ones, and we wanted to give him every chance to get to the big day. He was ready for the run, but he’ll come on again. Pat has only one thing on his mind.”

• Keeemon 2

PAISLEY PARK -

Trained near Marlborough by Emma Lavelle, Paisley Park is now clear favourite for the Sun Racing Stayers' Hurdle at 7-2 with Betfair and Sky Bet following his impressive victory in the Galliard Homes-backed Cleeve Hurdle.

In a race that in recent years has set Big Buck's and Thistlecrack on their way to Cheltenham Festival glory, the son of Oscar shone under Aidan Coleman, who reckoned he had hit the front two furlongs too soon.

Not that Gemmell was complaining – about that or plumping for the Cotswolds over Melbourne.

He said: "It’s the best decision I've made in a while!

"That was unbelievable and this horse continues to surpass our expectations. He's just growing into himself and getting better and better."

That was also the view of Lavelle, whose post-race debrief included deflecting credit to her husband Barry Fenton for the forensic attention he has paid to the seven-year-old, who last month gave the yard – and Coleman – a breakthrough Grade 1 triumph in the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot.

"That was quite impressive wasn't it? He looked pretty special out there. I hope we have the same preparation for the festival," said a relieved and overjoyed trainer. 

"I think the horse is a trainer's dream – but ask me that in a few weeks! All we have to do – that little 'all' – is bring him here in the same form in March."

More streetwise now – the key to his improvement connections believe – Paisley Park, who strode 12 lengths clear of West Approach with Black Op two lengths further back, will head to jump racing's most important week as one of the feelgood stories of the season and Lavelle is thrilled to be part of it.

She added: "He has achieved what no other horse in nearly 21 years has, which is a Grade 1 winner for us, so he's very important regardless of that.

Paisley Park, favourite for the Sun Racing Stayers' Hurdle, has the Irish to beat in the Cheltenham Festival feature.

That is the view of his trainer Emma Lavelle after Saturday's impressive Cleeve Hurdle success, which the seven-year-old gelding took in his stride and saw him promoted to favourite, no better than 100-30 with Betfair on Sunday, for the Grade 1 on March 14.

"How could he not be made favourite?" asked Lavelle on Sunday, still amazed by the way Paisley Park idled and pricked his ears on the run-in yet still drew further clear of his field before winning by 12 lengths.

"I don't think there is anyone this side of the water who wasn't in the Cleeve on Saturday, and with last year's winner Penhill not having run this season he would have to come over in tip-top shape. Then Paisley Park would have a fight on his hands."

Lavelle, who has won twice at the Cheltenham Festival, most recently with Pause And Clause in the 2010 Martin Pipe, added: "We bought him as a three-year-old store. He has always been a nice horse but he has just kept improving.

"We thought he was well handicapped off a mark of 140 at the start of the season, but it was hard to ever imagine he could do what he did yesterday. He has got better and better and he takes very little out of himself in his races."

His fourth win of the season in Saturday's Grade 2 will see him leap into the 160s stratosphere for what Lavelle called "an extraordinary performance" considering he idled up the run-in. 

Fourteen lengths back in third was Black Op on his return to hurdles after a spell over fences, but trainer Tom George warned not to rule him out of calculations for the Stayers' Hurdle, for which he was a top-priced 20-1 on Sunday.

Edited by spursman
  • Keeemon 1

2 hours ago, spursman said:

That's what I am here for Mr miller ?

I am a cheltenham veteran of many years so I will be scouring the news to see, or hear of any significant movement....  

Currently the long range weather for Cheltenham shows rain  predominates , though how heavy  don't know...  Get your wellies out !!!   Going likely to be soft / heavy in places ....

• Keeemon 2

6 minutes ago, Marky147 said:

Dublin Racing Festival next weekend, so that should clear a few things up, and bring a fair few more contenders to the head of the markets.

Then we just have some Willie Mullins bingo, and weather dances to be dealing with ?

It will but the going is key here, for example ,in the Arkle if the going is soft I like Le Richeburg, but if Good I like  Lalor more ....  and I think it will be on the soft side of good . So I will be anti posting Le Rcheburg. 

• Keeemon 2

I was going to post my book after DRF, as I'll no doubt be sniping some more runners as races run there.

Still, might as well do it now, and can do it again before the festival.

The cashout option has been a godsend this year, and have managed to back/cashout a lot of horses with it actually making me a couple quid overall.

Day 1

13:30 - Supreme Novices Hurdle

2pts @ 30/1 Angels Breath

2.5pts @ 25/1 Klassical Dream

2.5pts @ 16/1 Al Dancer (Wasn't that bothered, but it was a Hills boost, and can get rid of it nearer the time for a freeroll)

14:10 - Arkle Trophy

4pts @ 12/1 Le Richebourg

3pts @ 25/1 Lalor (Laid back at 6.0 BF)

5pts @ 20/1 Mengli Khan (Laid back at 6.6 BF)

14:50 - Ultima Handicap Chase

2.5pts @ 14/1 Talkischeap (NRNB)

2pts @ 25/1 Dingo Dollar

1pt @ 45/1 Coo Star Sivola 

15:30 - Champion Hurdle

3pts @ 14/1 Laurina

3pts @ 15/1 Sharjah

1pt @ 50/1 Sharjah

2pts @ 25/1 Espoir D'Allen (NRNB)

16:10 - Mares Hurdle

1pt @ 40/1 Laurina (Double with Harry I'm a Celeb) ?

16:50 - National Hunt Chase

1pt @ 33/1 Ok Corral (2.5pts Laid @ 5.0 BF)

6pts @ 11/1 Ballyward 

1pt @ 33/1 Bacardys 

1pt @ 33/1 White Moon

17:30 - Novices Handicap Chase

Nada

• Chaching! 2
  • Keeemon 1

Gold Cup Presenting percy has good chance.....but Native river might spring a surprise..

2 minutes ago, Marky147 said:

Day 1

13:30 - Supreme Novices Hurdle

2pts @ 30/1 Angels Breath

2.5pts @ 25/1 Klassical Dream

2.5pts @ 16/1 Al Dancer (Wasn't that bothered, but it was a Hills boost, and can get rid of it nearer the time for a freeroll)

14:10 - Arkle Trophy

4pts @ 12/1 Le Richebourg

3pts @ 25/1 Lalor (Laid back at 6.0 BF)

5pts @ 20/1 Mengli Khan (Laid back at 6.6 BF)

14:50 - Ultima Handicap Chase

2.5pts @ 14/1 Talkischeap (NRNB)

2pts @ 25/1 Dingo Dollar

1pt @ 45/1 Coo Star Sivola 

15:30 - Champion Hurdle

3pts @ 14/1 Laurina

3pts @ 15/1 Sharjah

1pt @ 50/1 Sharjah

2pts @ 25/1 Espoir D'Allen (NRNB)

16:10 - Mares Hurdle

1pt @ 40/1 Laurina (Double with Harry I'm a Celeb) ?

16:50 - National Hunt Chase

1pt @ 33/1 Ok Corral (2.5pts Laid @ 5.0 BF)

6pts @ 11/1 Ballyward 

1pt @ 33/1 Bacardys 

1pt @ 33/1 White Moon

17:30 - Novices Handicap Chase

Nada

Very nice selections ..... Ive been looking at Laurina Too ?

8 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

Champion Hurdle I like Supasundae, and Sharjah.... preference for Sharjah.  Both act well at the trip and on good to soft. Sharjah never knows when he's beaten ,so a real trier.  

Buveur D'air is very good, but no superstar imo, but still the best around at the moment, obviously, but cries out to be taken on at the prices on offer. 10/1 sounds about right for Sharjah. You think Henderson would let Verdana Blue run against BD again??  

Altior,  there is just nothing to beat him in the Champion Chase., Best National Hunt horse out there, no point taken him on.

1 minute ago, Crunchienut said:

Buveur D'air is very good, but no superstar imo, but still the best around at the moment, obviously, but cries out to be taken on at the prices on offer. 10/1 sounds about right for Sharjah. You think Henderson would let Verdana Blue run against BD again??  

Altior,  there is just nothing to beat him in the Champion Chase., Best National Hunt horse out there, no point taken him on.

Yes Altior is in a class of his own ....I can't remember the last time he lost a race .... Nicky Henderson may well take his chances , it will depend on the mood he's in closer to the day.... 

1 minute ago, Solario333 said:

Gold Cup Presenting percy has good chance.....but Native river might spring a surprise.

I done him last year, but would have to be heavy going again for me to have another bash, surprised he is only 5/1 at the mo tbh. But you know regardless he will be there or there abouts and I struggle to see him out of the frame. Again, no superstar around at the moment, wide open contest. Percy being 3/1 is a joke tho after a hurdles race. How can he be that short 7 weeks before the event? You would be mad to take that price. I'd rather take a punt on Nicholls's horse who won the King George at 10's if i was forced to.at least you know the form is rock solid.