Do you tip your bookie?

Quicksave1

12 minutes ago, Quicksave1 said:

I don't know what the general etiquette is, i've always let them keep the odd change but i'm not sure if you're supposed to give them a few quid on a decent win

I would have never thought to do that. Different with croupiers, but never tipped a bookie 

Any time I’ve won £500 on a FOBt I’ve tipped the girl behind the counter a tenner. I’m one of those old fashioned punters who believe in passing on a bit of good luck when you get it. I remember a while back my friend at Ladbrokes passed on a good thing that was running at Wolverhampton that night, the horse duly obliged at 8/1 and everyone and their Aunty was lining up at the counter to collect, not one person put a torn fiver into the guys hand for the information which lined their pockets, shit like that sickens me.. I won over a grand and stuck a ton in the guys paw without having to think about it.

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

48 minutes ago, 1pstaker said:

Thing is, you are not tipping a bookie and I dont know anyone that would even consider it!! 

Tipping counter staff, I have done a few times. Nothing major, but enough for a pint. Only to staff I know though. I wouldnt tip some random.  

Enough for a pint!!! Fucking great Gatsby over here.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Blacko said:

Fucking Ronnie Biggs couldn’t get any money out of your sporran Rockefeller.

I can’t actually remember the last time I was in a bookies. Might’ve been the day before they changed the FOBTs, went in and lost a bunch for old time’s sake. 

said I’d drive my mate into town later so maybe we’ll go to the bookies like the old days.

43 minutes ago, RB91 said:

I can’t actually remember the last time I was in a bookies. Might’ve been the day before they changed the FOBTs, went in and lost a bunch for old time’s sake. 

said I’d drive my mate into town later so maybe we’ll go to the bookies like the old days.

I’d keep on driving pal, fuckers win just about every time.

I would normally tip a few quid to counter staff if I had a very good win.   In the old days I always used to tip staff especially in an independent bookie after a decent win as they used to get bonuses based on weekly profits in the shop and a decent bet up would mean they got no bonus that week.  Nowadays the staff are all minimum wage no interest  and seldom  hang around long so you do not get to know them.  I do most of my betting online nowadays  as the craic  has gone from shops.

• Keeemon 2

To those who tip, fair play I respect that, I know a lot of old boys would if they won big and its the same girl who served them 7 days a week. For me though its a no because I never encounter a situation I feel I should.

Thats because I mostly play the FOBTs and I'm in, win or lose then out. I dont build a rapport with the cashiers. To me if I am going to tip, you need to provide service, not just pay me out or enhance my experience. I'm not just gonna give you a tenner because I won and you're paying it out to me, likelihood is last week I done my balls. When I have asked to self exclude and told I need photos I can't afford the photos, no one has offered me a fiver to get them.

• Keeemon 1

My Lil sis used to work in the bookies God rest her soul. I'd always give her £10 / £20 if I had a good result on the Fobts which was hardly ever (plus I'd always remind her not too tell mum and dad how much I'd spent 🤣 🤣) All the older guys used to give her a few quid if their bets came in 😊 

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2022 at 11:38, Quicksave1 said:

I don't know what the general etiquette is, i've always let them keep the odd change but i'm not sure if you're supposed to give them a few quid on a decent win

I have yes many times 

But only if I felt the staff member was giving good assistance,  that type that are working in the place for a wage,  some think they own the shop / company 

Ladjokes have those stupid grid cards and I mind attempting to put on various bets but all on the same horse, got a few people in the shop that had grid cards to place the bets as wanted BOG that only came with the grid card,  the bets were all placed and the horse won but the girl behind the counter worked out what was going on,  we did get paid but I got pulled aside by her.

Didn't really see the big deal and to be fair when she wasn't selected for a higher role in the company she left and told me a few stories that I wasn't surprised about but was good she confirmed them, she said she felt bad about ''The grid card day'' but was just looking out for her shop, I kind of understand BUT as I pointed out nothing was coming out her own purse.