Part of a horse ...

Sgt_bilk0

6 hours ago, Sgt_bilk0 said:

Is it hard to set up a syndicate to buy a horse?

You always see these "buy a stake in a horse" ads etc.

are they just a rip off - or do they ever work?

Having a share in a horse isn't a rip off. There are plenty of syndicates out there. 

Setting your own syndicate up would be a different story though. 

Possibly @Denman may be able to enlighten you on that one a bit more 

• Keeemon 2

12 hours ago, Sgt_bilk0 said:

Is it hard to set up a syndicate to buy a horse?

You always see these "buy a stake in a horse" ads etc.

are they just a rip off - or do they ever work?

Short answer is no most of them, especially the trainer ran or the well known ones (eg, Middleham Park Racing) are not necessarily a rip off. But there's no guarantee that you're going to get a return on money, in fact I would imagine most owners in these syndicates make a loss, but it will be less of a loss than if you were to own a horse outright. The established ones, again using Middleham Park Racing as an example tend to treat the syndicate members pretty well and seem to retain the same owners for years, so they must be doing something right. 

In terms of starting your own syndicate, is it difficult? Not really. If you have a group of your friends or family interested in purchasing a horse and putting it into training, it is pretty simple in fact many trainers will have staff designated to help you if you're going to have it trained with them. Starting your own would also likely give you much more control over what happens with your horse, although if you're clueless that's not necessarily a good thing, but on the opposite end of the spectrum I would imagine if you're apart of one of the big syndicates you would pretty much have no say, it would all come down to the racing manager and trainer. But again that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Whats important to note is, if you're signing up to one of the big syndicates, you aren't just being sold a share in some donkey that no one else wants. They will tend to spend pretty big on horses, hence why the upfront cost will often be quite high. Its also going to be trained at one of the better yards most likely. BUT most importantly, there is absolutely no guarantee that its going to be good. You can kind of dampen that risk a bit with again using Middleham Park as an example as they are often selling shares in pretty well known horses, reducing the risk factor for yourself, but I still can't imagine that the chances of breaking even are high, let alone making a profit. Its very much a passion/hobby thing to own horses for the majority of people. Syndicates make that more affordable for the masses. But its still not a wise financial investment. 

23 minutes ago, centipede said:

this part

12341234.PNG

I mean I could sell you something very similar. I charge by the inch. £3 per inch seem fair? If you agree thats £6 please.

Guest centipede
6 minutes ago, Denman said:

I mean I could sell you something very similar. I charge by the inch. £3 per inch seem fair? If you agree thats £6 please.

I wouldnt be able to afford to buy it outright, so I think this thread was about getting a syndicate up and running for it. I guess if theres enough interest we could all pay for 1mm each and share it through the year

On 06/11/2018 at 14:59, centipede said:

I wouldnt be able to afford to buy it outright, so I think this thread was about getting a syndicate up and running for it. I guess if theres enough interest we could all pay for 1mm each and share it through the year

with the users on this forumn i think it would be pretty easy to afford; maybe (dunno the percentage of people on here who enjoy the horses as well as slots)

and could you imagine the buzz of having a runner and the whole forum watching but its just organising it lol 

maybe we should start with a greyhound ?

Edited by 4houghts