That backshift was a Swino!

PATTY1974

During a 1-8 backshift on a Friday night a mate of mine had a shift to remember or forget...depends on your views.

We worked in a warehouse that dispatched seatbelts. Fridays were always fairly quiet shifts so we usually took it easy. This particular day was also payday so once the bosses left about 2ish, some of the lads would pop out to get there wages.We sat down for the tea break at about 4ish and realised one of the lads hadn't come back. Mobile phones weren't common....it was the 90's....so we couldn't contact him. 

Eventually he strolled in around 5:30...with the reddest face I have ever seen! He sat down and immediately apologised for not coming back. He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a roll of cash...£2500! That's where I have been he said. He had withdrawn his wages...four weeks worth....and was down to his last £30. He put the lot on a horse called Swino...it came in at 20-1 or so and he hit a streak. £50 on a few dogs and a tricast and suddenly he had nearly £4k. He put his wages back in the bank and ran back to work! He was working out a bullshit story to tell his wife as the wages paid the mortgage! Then the miracle happened! He rang GA on the Monday and went to a meeting up in Glasgow. This was his wakeup call and the end of his gambling. To this day he only bets on the football and its what his wife allows him...£20 a week! Best day of his life...very nearly the worst....what a fine line we walk.

• Keeemon 1

42 minutes ago, PATTY1974 said:

During a 1-8 backshift on a Friday night a mate of mine had a shift to remember or forget...depends on your views.

We worked in a warehouse that dispatched seatbelts. Fridays were always fairly quiet shifts so we usually took it easy. This particular day was also payday so once the bosses left about 2ish, some of the lads would pop out to get there wages.We sat down for the tea break at about 4ish and realised one of the lads hadn't come back. Mobile phones weren't common....it was the 90's....so we couldn't contact him. 

Eventually he strolled in around 5:30...with the reddest face I have ever seen! He sat down and immediately apologised for not coming back. He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a roll of cash...£2500! That's where I have been he said. He had withdrawn his wages...four weeks worth....and was down to his last £30. He put the lot on a horse called Swino...it came in at 20-1 or so and he hit a streak. £50 on a few dogs and a tricast and suddenly he had nearly £4k. He put his wages back in the bank and ran back to work! He was working out a bullshit story to tell his wife as the wages paid the mortgage! Then the miracle happened! He rang GA on the Monday and went to a meeting up in Glasgow. This was his wakeup call and the end of his gambling. To this day he only bets on the football and its what his wife allows him...£20 a week! Best day of his life...very nearly the worst....what a fine line we walk.

It is a fine line for sure. Livelihoods can rest on the turn of a card, where the ball will land etc. 

He certainly got away with that one, but thankfully he learned a lesson from it which unfortunately many do not

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, david1111 said:

It is a fine line for sure. Livelihoods can rest on the turn of a card, where the ball will land etc. 

He certainly got away with that one, but thankfully he learned a lesson from it which unfortunately many do not

Unfortunately they don't. Used to sit with people who studied the Racing Post hoping to get rich. They still worked with me so it can't have been much help. ?

6 minutes ago, PATTY1974 said:

Unfortunately they don't. Used to sit with people who studied the Racing Post hoping to get rich. They still worked with me so it can't have been much help. ?

Haha ? I much preferred the sporting life if you remember it when it was in publication 

• Keeemon 2

23 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Haha ? I much preferred the sporting life if you remember it when it was in publication 

Unfortunately I do David. One of the earliest memories of my Grandad was him asking his grandchildren to pick some horses numbers or names in a bid to find a new system! Hahaha. Saturday in the Ex Servicemens Club with a coke and some Quavers! Funny what you remember isn't it? ?

• Keeemon 1

1 minute ago, PATTY1974 said:

Unfortunately I do David. One of the earliest memories of my Grandad was him asking his grandchildren to pick some horses numbers or names in a bid to find a new system! Hahaha. Saturday in the Ex Servicemens Club with a coke and some Quavers! Funny what you remember isn't it? ?

Yeah it is. The old memories are the best

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Yeah it is. The old memories are the best

Different times now. The old working men's clubs are dying a death. Sad to see too. My interest in snooker started by watching the old guys in their shirts and ties playing snooker and billiards. Became quite a decent amateur myself and miss not playing everyday due to my health issues. Looking to pass it on to my boy but it's PlayStation this and Nintendo that....we will see. ?

Different times now. The old working men's clubs are dying a death. Sad to see too. My interest in snooker started by watching the old guys in their shirts and ties playing snooker and billiards. Became quite a decent amateur myself and miss not playing everyday due to my health issues. Looking to pass it on to my boy but it's PlayStation this and Nintendo that....we will see. ?

Yeah everything is computerised and virtual nowadays. My earliest recollection of snooker was Fred Davis. What a gent he was 

3 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Yeah everything is computerised and virtual nowadays. My earliest recollection of snooker was Fred Davis. What a gent he was 

I remember my Grandad entering the tournaments at Butlins. Rex Williams, John Spencer, Terry Griffiths to name a few. Fags and beers galore! Not for us kids of course....we weren't that rough! Hahaha 

• Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, PATTY1974 said:

I remember my Grandad entering the tournaments at Butlins. Rex Williams, John Spencer, Terry Griffiths to name a few. Fags and beers galore! Not for us kids of course....we weren't that rough! Hahaha 

Yeah. Do you remember bill werbenick who used to sink 10s of pints in a match and Stephen Lee who was basically a chimney 

3 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Yeah. Do you remember bill werbenick who used to sink 10s of pints in a match and Stephen Lee who was basically a chimney 

I do. Stephen Lee did a gig at our local snooker Club not long before he got banned... He was awesome. Had the cueball under his spell for sure. ?

I do. Stephen Lee did a gig at our local snooker Club not long before he got banned... He was awesome. Had the cueball under his spell for sure. ?

Yeah he was a good player. Shame he ruined his career. I saw him play at the crucible years ago. He won, but can't remember who he played. 

• Keeemon 1

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Yeah he was a good player. Shame he ruined his career. I saw him play at the crucible years ago. He won, but can't remember who he played. 

Went to the Crucible for the Higgins v Murphy final about 10 yes ago maybe. Great atmosphere in the place. 

Went to the Crucible for the Higgins v Murphy final about 10 yes ago maybe. Great atmosphere in the place. 

It's so compact. When they have both tables and the divider down there's barely enough room for them to cue. I'm glad it's stayed at the crucible though. You wouldn't get the same intense atmosphere anywhere else 

• Keeemon 1

6 minutes ago, david1111 said:

It's so compact. When they have both tables and the divider down there's barely enough room for them to cue. I'm glad it's stayed at the crucible though. You wouldn't get the same intense atmosphere anywhere else 

We were sat about 5 rows back and it was so close. Would love to experience that pressure to see how much I would have coped. I played a few amateur finals infront of about 100 people...that was bad enough! ? 

• Keeemon 1

Just now, PATTY1974 said:

We were sat about 5 rows back and it was so close. Would love to experience that pressure to see how much I would have coped. I played a few amateur finals infront of about 100 people...that was bad enough! ? 

Ah you played to a decent level then. Can't imagine the pressure pros are under though as its their livelihood. That was the thing with steve Davis. He played like it meant nothing but everything at the same time, hence his success I guess 

• Keeemon 1

8 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Ah you played to a decent level then. Can't imagine the pressure pros are under though as its their livelihood. That was the thing with steve Davis. He played like it meant nothing but everything at the same time, hence his success I guess 

I was playing in the County events as well local leagues. The Club I often played at had a Professional amongst its members...a local lad called Mike Nixon. He made us look ordinary yet he couldn't break through. 8 hrs a day practice was Davis' routine....that is dedication that most couldn't handle! I used to play nearly ever other day if I could but as you get older the family takes priority. Then this shitty illness comes and kills it completely. Pisses me off some days but then things could be worse. The glass is half full! ? 

I was playing in the County events as well local leagues. The Club I often played at had a Professional amongst its members...a local lad called Mike Nixon. He made us look ordinary yet he couldn't break through. 8 hrs a day practice was Davis' routine....that is dedication that most couldn't handle! I used to play nearly ever other day if I could but as you get older the family takes priority. Then this shitty illness comes and kills it completely. Pisses me off some days but then things could be worse. The glass is half full! ? 

Yeah, life does throw some curve balls. Im full of admiration for you at the way you stay and think positive. As I've said before I sincerely hope you get through this. 

• Like 1