Magnolia Stakes (Listed) Saturday 1st April 2023

Bangers

Got drawn into this race after having a lookover the ante-post market and thot I'd have a little play.

Eight line up and I was holding off until the jockey's were confirmed but it wasn't much of a puzzle predicting who is riding what, these races are tricky as with some of the field not been racing in over 100 days is a bit of a lucky punt in itself, I have put a decent bit of study time into the race but as we all know that guarantees nothing, I often work backwards in these type of races so I've ruled out the two biggest priced runners reducing the field down to Six, if you fancy one of the bigger priced two then by all means don't allow my opinion to sway you. 

1st Choice would be the obvious one, the boys in Blue owned 4yr old gelding and trained by Charlie Appleby, he's out of Dubawi so he's as tough as teak and still has very low miles on the clock, he was 2nd on his debut at HQ which is an easy race to remember as I backed him that day, he then won his next four - one of them being at Royal Ascot then he followed up after that at Glorious Goodwood, he was then 2nd at York and finished off the year running in a race that was clearly a step too far for him running over 1m 6f but he still ran with a lot of heart finishing 6th 

The boys in blue are renowned for sending some of their stock over to Dubai for a well earned rest over the cold winter months and getting some heat into them, I've done a bit of looking around but can't find any rock solid evidence on this, when we get a look at the selection on race day it will be very clear by his coat if he's been in the sun over in Dubai and if he has I see him being really hard to beat, he's not a flashy horse but he does possess a decent engine, I do however have a couple of doubts over him and that's what's prevented me going in silly stakes bet, he's never won on AW track and his race fitness is a total unknown, the boys in blue horses can be anything at times but I've never really been put off by horses making their debuts or if they haven't been seen for a few months, again his coat on Saturday will provide a better picture if he's been away on holiday in Dubai so you may want to hold fire ''Unlike me'' 

The Danger 

It was the Winter Derby back on 25th February with Andrew Balding's 5yr old gelding running a blinder, now the gelding hadn't been racing since August 2022 and watching the Winter Derby back he came from a wide draw and ran wide 85% of the full race, he was never beating John Gosden's well thot after Lord North but when he got into top gear in the home straight he finished very well, he finished 3rd in the winter derby but he'd defo have finished a lot closer had his draw been a bit kinder and not had to run wide for so long. Rob Hornby was riding that day and didn't really do much wrong BUT the fella has the services of Oisin Murphy on Saturday so things ''might be'' a bit better, he does look a bit lazy and require a bit of stoking up but Oisin has rode him before and will know exactly when to start flinging coal on the fire.

Tricky race but Two good horses with Two good Pilots. 

Race time 14:05 

Track - Kempton 

Jockey Bookings - William Buick & Oisin Murphy 

Selections - Secret State @ 2/1   -  The Danger  Foxes Tales @ 6/1 BOG 

• Chaching! 4

19 minutes ago, Bangers said:

I thot you'd maybe just land that RVFC fella 

A few in that race IMO are worth a look over in the future 

Another day another race  . I still  lost today but not much . Good to be back in the flat season . Looking forward to a great year .. 

• Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

Good to be back in the flat season . Looking forward to a great year .. 

My passion was always the NH and just tolerated the flat as a filler 

Things for some reason have kind of flip flopped over the years,  in saying that I've always really looked forward to Glorious Goodwood 

Glorious Goodwood over the years has provided some cracking racing memories