What is the best way to bet on horse racing ?

RouletteMonkey

What is the best way to bet on horse racing ? 

I've never bet on horses but my grandad used to before he pasted away, i remember as a young kid him betting with small 20p 50p bets which was a lot i guess 45yrs ago, anyways he told me he used to bet on the tracks and not the horses, so if he watched 10 races today and the top 5 tracks win within the 1st half of the day eventually they'll be a winner in the bottom 5 tracks which makes total sense.

Anyone know or heard of this way ? to me it makes total sense and it's a little like betting on roulette seeing the 1st n 2nd dozen come in for 10mins then it goes to the 3rd eventually.

Sounds crazy but he was always cashing out £8+ at a time on a Sunday afternoon i seen to remember, i calculated how much in todays money on a site in the img ... My grandad was doing well tbh

jqnCLdx.png.8f21f841b3fa3ddc05c5314c28ebbe65.png

24 minutes ago, RouletteMonkey said:

My whole family have had horse all their life, my niece atm has bought a small horse to break in and sell to make money lol ... Horses are in my blood, but not the racing type.

imageedit_81_7181213018.thumb.png.c9123b325c52b1fa26dac8754752ccc7.png

Horse blood and monkey blood.

No wonder you are a superior being 😆

• Love 1

At least with your roulette strategy (whilst 100% a losing strategy) there is some logic behind it and the wheel isn’t biased so it’s likely it will eventually hit a section it hasn’t for a while - although the problem is of course the odds are against you to martingale any pattern/section hence it being a 100% losing strategy. That’s just a mathematical fact. 

However, unlike a roulette wheel where everything has an equal chance on every spin and has consistent odds, with racing, there is bias in play. Each horse will have different odds and usually if low drawn horses have won the first 5 races it usually means that side of the track is quicker/better ground and so that side is more likely to keep winning. You’re generally better to follow it than go against it if that’s going to be your strategy. 

As for the odds, let’s take a field of 10 horses. If the first 4 races are won by horses in stalls 1-5 you are saying for the next 4 races you would back all those in stalls 6-10. Laying out 5pts per race across 5 horses means you need a 4/1 or bigger odds horse to win just to break even, and in fields of 10 or less that’s less likely to happen. 

We often hold racing comps here, so you can employ your strategy in those and see how it does. 

Ps - I’m not criticising you, everyone can play any game how they choose, I’m just pointing out there are mathematical flaws in your strategies you may want to consider.