2023 World Championship Darts

Frosty

Anyone else looking forward to this, think it's going to be an open tournament, and maybe some value bets in there too!

My outsider is Joe Cullen, depends on the draw but more than able to win his Quarter, not shown much second half of the year though. 

Beau Greaves has qualified for the first time, and I will be keeping an eye on the draw as she will be a real contender to win her first match, won 8 women's floor tournaments in a row, beating both Ashton and Sherrock multiple times.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

• Keeemon 4

Not followed too closely this year  but I would go for Luke Humphries of the up and comers  I would fancy MVG  of the more established stars ( I do not like Price so would never back him)

I also saw a youtube darts stream today and they were saying what an awful price at 20/1 or less that Josh Rock is.  He has a lot of potential for the future but no real big tournament experience at all.

• Keeemon 4

So many capable players nowadays it could be a very open year. I dont think its so much that the top players levels have dropped, rather those just below have improved. Having said that, it still gets nervy for those not used to it. so I expect a more established star to win it. MVG, Price or Wright. 

• Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, Mad Slasher McGurk said:

Anyone been watching that Josh Rock kid?  I think he's got a big future ahead of him and some giant killing possibilities.

Edit = I typed this then I saw you had already mentioned him @groundiskey

He has been playing well on the floor tournaments, I will be looking forward to the grand slam soon, see if he gets out of the group, Wolverhampton can be hostile at times so it is a decent test

• 2 weeks later...

Done Smith and Price to hit more 180's than their opponant for tonight's bet, pays 4/1.  Looks like Smith is there already and although I would usually never back someone for the match treble when playing Barney as he will always scupper one part of it I felt it was safer just going for one part to come in.  I think Barney will fade tonight, he has had some great performances up until now but they were early evening and short format, late evening matches and the longer format is usually when his age and his medical conditions begin to tell on him.

• Chaching! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been some decent games so far, some very poor showings and also some underdogs showing their A game. 

Alan Soutar, Scott Williams have the ability to get to L16/L8 if they continue to perform to the standard they have. Danny Baggish is a big game player, similar to how Jamie Lewis also only showed up at the Worlds so can see him putting up another decent effort. 

Of the favourites, I'm expecting an early-ish exit for both Price and Wright. Van Barneveld and Anderson could both go far but it depends which version turns up, if Anderson has been practicing with Searle he could be dangerous. 

Of the next few days I'm looking at:

Woodhouse +2.5 sets v Price @8/11 (basically he needs to win 1 set)

Leonard Gates to beat Geert Nentjes @5/4

RVB -1.5 sets v Meikle @EVS and match treble at 3/1

Callan Rydz to beat Josh Rock (who is Overhyped and underpriced) @2/1

Baggish to beat Merv @5/4

Going to Chuck em all in a Canadian and see how it goes! 

Edited by Frosty
  • Chaching! 1
  • Keeemon 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you missed that leg of darts I have to say you will not see the likes for some time even with the level of darts currently.

I would not think they could reproduce it in an exhibition match and they just did it in a world final !

Edited by philinvicta

3 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

If you missed that leg of darts I have to say you will not see the likes for some time even with the level of darts currently.

I would not think they could reproduce it in an exhibition match and they just did it in a world final !

Agreed. The joys of live sport. Just won't replicate the excitement watching a repeat on you tube. 

This is the first time in this championship that anyone has actually served it up to MVG, Mensur Sullovic got a couple of sets and ran him close but they were always defensive sets.  I stuck £20 on Smith for the match treble at 9/1 after he lost the first set as I figured he was capable of this. That 9 darter should seal the highest checkout at least.

• Chaching! 1