Double Glazing costs

bigbucks1983

Pretty simple question, anyone know much about these? We need a couple of new windows, both 6x3ft. Basic white upvc. It's something that's been on the back-burner for a few months which the Mrs decided she was gonna sort out. She had one person out to quote and another came this morning who said £950 per window. I think that's a bit steep and had to slow her down paying for it all this morning, she's got quotes from Anglian and Everest so I know when I was sorting the front door out they were more expensive.

Anyone know roughly what a good price is? 

I used to work for a double glazing company many years ago, basically it's a massive rip off, customers are quoted 4x or even more than the price they should be sold at which allows wiggle room to the company for customers haggling and also for fuck ups with the fitters in the case of breakages and mismeasures, they could measure the entire job wrong throw out all the original glazing units and reorder the correct ones and still be in profit from the quote made.  You get the "let me phone the boss and see what I can work out" patter if you are hesitant on the original offer made and if you decline this you will get a phone call a week later with an even cheaper quote because "they need pictures for a catalogue and your property is ideal but we might not even use them" so you are getting an even better discount.

Best bet for basic white UPVC windows is to find out who supplies them to all the council houses in the area and get them to knock up what you need.

Edited by Mad Slasher McGurk
  • Like 1
  • Keeemon 1

I would try and find a factory that manufactures windows independently  or try and find an independent window fitter and get a quote from them.  The likes of Everest and Anglian will be very expensive,  Look to get some sort of recommendation if you can from somebody who has had them done recently,

I used to work for a independent manufacturing company  in my youth and  we were way cheaper than Everest and Anglian   and the quality was the same if not better, you still need a good fitter.  Some of the guys that work for Everest etc will also do a few private jobs at week ends as well

• Like 1
  • Keeemon 2

Watch out for the "lifetime guarantee" as well with some of the smaller glazing firms, the same applies to all manner of trades like roofing etc,  they offer the lifetime guarantee because they know they won't be around in 3 years time because they deliberately run a cycle of winding up a company and starting a new one under a completely different name every so many years so along with all the other dodges they get from this they also never have to honour the lifetime guarantee.

• Keeemon 1

28 minutes ago, bigbucks1983 said:

Cheers bud. That most useful 👌

Yeah we got the usual patter of oh ill phone up etc etc. It's not even subtle the game they play but I can easily find out who manufactures them etc and get a rough idea.

You will also get the speech that nobody else can provide the same material as us but that is because the really big firms tend to manufacture their own product.  As @Mad Slasher McGurk said take no notice of lifetime guarantees either but do check out  a fitter or supplier before using them  There is normally no urgency that means   that you cannot do your due diligence.

Prices will vary depending on whether they are fixed or opening windows but you should get a good idea of what is a realistic price  once you get clued up and also whether patterned glass is involved or frosted like a bathroom window. It sounds from your original post though that they should be pretty standard 

• Like 1

they are all rip offs i just brought a house which had old windows in and wanted to rip them out. they quoted me 12k for the whole lot after we moaned and haggled got it down to 6k for french doors, 1x frosted glass window, 3x bay windows and a front door  

• Keeemon 2

On 27/08/2022 at 20:22, bigbucks1983 said:

Pretty simple question, anyone know much about these? We need a couple of new windows, both 6x3ft. Basic white upvc. It's something that's been on the back-burner for a few months which the Mrs decided she was gonna sort out. She had one person out to quote and another came this morning who said £950 per window. I think that's a bit steep and had to slow her down paying for it all this morning, she's got quotes from Anglian and Everest so I know when I was sorting the front door out they were more expensive.

Anyone know roughly what a good price is? 

I was a fitter now and then and I actually thot the price was pretty decent,  IF the quote was also fitted ? 

Glass of that size isn't cheap fella 

12 hours ago, Bangers said:

I was a fitter now and then and I actually thot the price was pretty decent,  IF the quote was also fitted ? 

Glass of that size isn't cheap fella 

Ah fair play, I was just going off my gut with my thoughts on the cost. Cheers for the heads up as I was really stabbing in the dark.

I've had a few more companies out now, one started at 3600, dropped to 2600 and finally finished at 1600. That's 300 cheaper so far, waiting on quotes from 2 more but I'll be happy if either of them come in at 1500. 

Gamblers are so contradictory, I'll lose in the bookies and take it on the chin but if I'm buying something I'll try and save every penny I can.

• Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, bigbucks1983 said:

Gamblers are so contradictory, I'll lose in the bookies and take it on the chin but if I'm buying something I'll try and save every penny I can.

True 

I've tried to gamble my bills more times than Id care to remember,  well I'm attempting to get them for free lol 

Also a point to note,  the cheapest quote isn't always the best job,  it's always worth the time doing a little review search,  they normally provide the best picture. 

The fella's I worked for were meticulous in ever way, from workmanship to the end clean up and removal of old windows,  even just asking the customer that one simple question,  are you happy with the installation ?