Lester Keith Piggott

Bangers

I mainly remember Lester after his comeback. Even then it was hard to see a man who understood a horse better than him.  My main memories  are the win at the breeders cup  and also when I was in my twenties i remember backing  him on one in a maiden  and he was looking behind with a furlong and half to go in the way only Lester did.

Unquestionably the best jockey from 1954 to 1970 and the most naturally gifted judge of pace . He would often time his run to win by the minimum distance …  it was true he much preferred horses to people and was notoriously mean financially which eventually caused him to fall foul of the revenue , who jailed him for tax evasion. 

3 hours ago, Solario333 said:

financially which eventually caused him to fall foul of the revenue , who jailed him for tax evasion. 

Apparently the governor made sure he had either the Racing post or Sporting Life every day that racing was on 

I'm also pretty sure there was images in circulation of Lester walking in the yard alongside the Governor,  something that just wasn't done with anyone else. 

• Keeemon 1