The Masters 2022

philinvicta

Opening a thread for bets and conversations on this years Masters

Looking through  the bets the one that stands out for me  is Dustin Johnson in the Former Winner market  at 14/5 with Bet365..  The price may seem short in a 24 runner market  but with the likes of Lyle and Mize included  the number of possible winners is really a lot less than 24.

The closest in the market is Spieth who has been up and down lately  whilst trying to rebuild  and the Masters is not a place to turn up hoping to win unless you are in form. (For this reason I would stay clear of Rahm and Rory this week)   Matsuyama is next in and he is battling an injury then Tiger  who is welcome back  but I think will struggle with 4 days of walking around Augusta with his current problems and also having not played for a long time competitively,  A lot of the other players in the ,market are out of form or playing at a level below their best

• Chaching! 1
  • Keeemon 1

Bet wise, for some reason I just can't bring myself to back favourites in the majors despite liking DJ and Scheffler's chances. I've gone for Horschel, Woodland both 50/1, Kisner at 150/1 I think he should be a lot lower, and the cink and Si Woo Kim at 300 and 250/1. None have really blown up but they all need a steady round today.

Regarding the tournament, was nice to see Willett put in a good round. Cam Smith played 12 holes of incredible stuff but started and finished with a double, he could be very hard to beat if he maintains the form of that 12 hole stretch. Will Zalatoris shot his 5th consecutive round under par at Augusta to sit 4 off the lead, think he's definitely a future winner. 42 players are sat within 6 of the lead, thinning out already but if the course drys out and the wind picks as it supposed to I expect to see some big changes over the next day or two and the scores go up.

Lastly and although some people may not like him, what a round by Tiger Woods, tied 10th and 4 back. I think he looked pretty decent considering the lay off and it's clear from his interviews that he's confident in his game. Personally I think he's brilliant for the game and it's great he's out the competing again and playing well.

• Keeemon 2

1 hour ago, david1111 said:

So is tiger Woods but its like chalk and cheese

Tiger in his press conference said he would have no problem with hitting shots  but was worried with the walking.  If he makes the cut i expect him to fall away especially in round 4 and if he suffers I could see him withdrawing.   He is having a lot of physio just to be able to play  and as the tournament goes on the harder I think he will find it

4 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

Tiger in his press conference said he would have no problem with hitting shots  but was worried with the walking.  If he makes the cut i expect him to fall away especially in round 4 and if he suffers I could see him withdrawing.   He is having a lot of physio just to be able to play  and as the tournament goes on the harder I think he will find it

Yeah agree, I just think it's a massive achievement to even be there and to shoot under par was amazing 

If  as per usual  from round 3 the holes are put  in more difficult positions   maybe only the top 5 or 6 will end up under par so plenty still in it.  I think the winning score will end up at 5 or 6 under par.

Currently the cut line is at about +2   and I would think this will end up  at about +3  due to goodish weather today.   Top 50 and ties  will make the cut  so as many as 60 could make it which is 2/3rds  of the field  

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Yeah agree, I just think it's a massive achievement to even be there and to shoot under par was amazing 

He was not expected to play again after the car crash  and  so the work he has put in just to be there is incredible.  It also shows how great a golfer he is  that he could do what he did yesterday    for me it was a similar effort to when he won the US open with two stress fractures .  He can push himself through the pain  like few others . 

I still remember when Tiger came on the tour  and got his card in around 3 or 4 tournaments at the end of that season.  I remember Bruce Harman and Freddie Couples  being interviewed  on sky and Bruce saying that Tiger was special and that Tiger believed he could get his card in the few tournaments left  and then Freddie Couples said Tiger would soon learn how hard it was on tour and Bruce said Freddie would soon learn how good this kid is ! 

I also think that if he is not in contention and is bad then he will likely withdraw  and hope to get better for another go over next couple of years to win more majors.

I believe that the reason he wanted to do this was partly to show he can but I also believe that he really wanted to play at Augusta with his son  and that gave him the incentive.

• Keeemon 1

I will also say with regards Tiger  that the bookies were making their usual markets  with him in that he was fairly short odds to win at 66/1 considering what has happened and the time he was off I suspect to get the punters to think there was not too much wrong and they could back him.  They also took no chances  on the to miss the cut market where they could of been filled in with bets by big punters where they made him 8/13  to miss the cut.