ulrichburke

Can someone explain what kinda poker machine I was watching?

Dear Anyone.

Watched a YouTube tutorial on video poker and the machines in the tutorial just dealt you a hand, you held or discarded cards, got more cards and if it was a good hand you won.  Fair enough.  That, I get.

Then I watched a couple of blokes playing a video poker game which was utterly different.  They had one hand. Above their hand was row after row of possible hands, like row after row of cards set in bunches of fives but face down.  The guy playing it got dealt his hand and decided what to keep/change.  Then some - not all - of the rows of face-down hands above got flipped over so they were face-up.  That's where I got totally lost as to what was happening.  Sometimes he won. Sometimes he lost.  I couldn't tell WHY he was winning or losing! Is it you win from all the computer's hands you beat and lose against all the computer's hands that beat you and you get paid the accumulated total of wins-minus-loses at the end? Why were only SOME of the computer's hands being turned over, not all of them? And the big one's - he didn't seem to be getting a chance to bet on his draw.  I mean if I got dealt 2 aces in a five-card hand, chucked the other three cards in and by some miracle got dealt the other 2 aces, I'd want to bet more money, right? (I'm NOT a poker expert in any way, shape or form, be gentle with me!) He didn't seem to have the option to actually bet anything, yet amounts were increasing/decreasing under his hand of cards. 

Please, what was he playing and how does the game work? I couldn't find a tutorial showing anything like that machine, all the tutorials just showed a machine that dealt you a hand and if your hand matched one in its paytable lists, you won.  Nothing showed this computer-multi-hand game I was watching. 

I've attached pictures, dunno if the file names come through - the game I was WATCHING is the one with loadsa rows on a blue screen.  The only game I could find an instructional on is the one with the guy in the suit and the one-line game behind him.  It's the loadsa rows one I don't get!

Yours puzzledly

Chris.

The poker game I was watching.jpg

The only poker video game I could find an instructional on.jpg

• Like 1

it looks like he is betting 20 hands @ a unit of 5 .... which are matched against the payout schedule.  so you can see one and the other 19 are highlighted and payout also according to a schedule . 

Edited by Solario333

If you count there is 100 possible hands per go, like @Solario333 said he is playing 20 hands, 1 is big and the other 19 are above, just a way to play lots of hands per go for high rollers.

image.png

• Agree 1