The 2021 King George chase

Bangers

What a race and even though I've still watched it the last few years my last bet in it was 2015 when my old Pal Cue Card won, Cue card was another horse that was a joy to follow and he provided so many amazing memories, my main racing pal was a touch deep on Vautour and he was counting the cash but Sir Paddy Brennan didn't give up, such a tight finish and I always feel a racing gambler / punter achieves MAXIMUM BUZZ when you are on the winning side of a photo finish,  1st Number three CUE CARD!   Boxing day HIGH / BUZZ Activated and Boxing day to me is really Christmas day. 

First ever bet in this race was 1986 when I was a painter & decorator around Glasgow, a big fella I worked beside was horse racing NUTS and we'd often go against each other with our selections, back in those days we got cash wages in the old style wage packet so on wage day we'd go to the bakers then have a bet,  lost count how many times Id do my bollocks in or he would but we'd also help each other out, he was such a funny big guy too and we had many a laugh, he was late joining us and a few didn't like him but we were both really cheeky and just clicked right away,  I still mind the time we were decorating an old couples full house and Mark had been out all weekend with mates so was mega hungover on the Monday, my boss stuck him away in a bedroom to undercoat some woodwork but big Mark climbed into the bed and fell asleep PMSL even now. 

I just heard my gaffer SHOUT - WTF are you doing ?  we all went to the door and he was still out cold under the duvet the lot,  was so funny. 

1986 Desert Orchard ...... And the Kind George seed was sawn 

1988 1989 1990 Old faithful Dessie took those year and provided some amazing memories that will never be forgot till the day I die.

Missed the race in 1991 as was living in one of Her Majesties Glasgow Hotels but did get the result and a few pals that were up ''visiting'' said they backed the winner ''The Fellow''  - funny how staying loyal can pay off as he came out and won the race again in 1992 

Had the winner again in 1996 with One Man then again another amazing memory in 1998 with Teeton Mill but if I'm honest Id rather if ever possible that story be told by a good pal ''a Best Mate'' 

2002 Yip Best Mate with AP up and a race I almost cried at as I was in deep and also had a small lottery win and put the lot on Best Mate,  said on here many times and stick by it that the journey with Best Mate will just never be beat, but what a race.

Had Kicking King 2004 & 2005 but then things went dry until Cue Card won back in 2015 - not once did I ever back that legend Kauto Star in the King George. 

So here we are again 2021 and how the years are just flying by and a firm reminder to some of you younger lads will turn 30 one day then 40 then before you know it you are in your 50's like some of us older boys on the site, I still get days that I really do feel about 32 and I defo still act at times about 12     lol 

After watching all the runners past races it's hard not to get away from Mr Paul Nicholls as this really has turned into his race,  BUT In life I always like giving a chance every now and again to an underdog and I've been pretty taken by the selections ''BIG NEVER SAY NEVER HEART'' 

His Prep race back on 7th of Nov at Sandown for me was a cracking warm up and at the showing price looks worth a roll of the dice, the jury is still out on the stake but the JP owned 7yr old will do for me. 

Tough race but my money will be On 

Chantry House @ 13/2 with Hills - Probably play safe and go E/w

Edited by Bangers
  • Chaching! 1
  • Keeemon 2

7 minutes ago, Bangers said:

I still mind the time we were decorating an old couples full house and Mark had been out all weekend with mates so was mega hungover on the Monday, my boss stuck him away in a bedroom to undercoat some woodwork but big Mark climbed into the bed and fell asleep PMSL even now.

Fucking 😂😂😂😂

• Keeemon 1

@Bangers isn’t it strange how memories stay with us some well never forget that out of the blue we think of and smile or even laugh. I’ve got one that sticks with me from when I was a kid, on our estate the put in new bins dotted around the streets the ones about 3 foot high. Anyway my mate decided to take the outer lid off the bin and put it over his head so his face was looking the bit where you’d put the rubbish in his arms were by his side so couldn’t really move much my other mate from nowhere done a flying karate kick on him and he kind of bounced 3 times before falling over then the poor fucker got rolled down a massive hill. The way he bounced was so funny you’d have to be there to appreciate how funny it actually was but every time I think about brings back fond memories as a kid.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, VillaLad said:

Fucking 😂😂😂😂

He was some boy mate 

We were going to the bank one day as after a while they started giving us cheques so we had to go to the bank,  it was around January and snowing really heavy and off we all go to the bank to cash our cheques,  2 guys were down a manhole working for BT and big Mark made a snowball and flung it HARD at the hold,  it hit one of the guys right in the face but he didn't know who chucked it,  we were all walking along pissing ourselves with our heads down and all you could hear was .................WHO THE FECK CHUCKED THAT ? 

Not seen him in years as I moved away but he was some giggle 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, VillaLad said:

What a finish I’m surprised I never heard cheering him home after the last. And you are right those are the finishes that get the blood pumping 

I can't remember how much but I was on heavy and a lot depended on it, not the full commit ALL IN Bet but not far from it. 

Just a very special memory 

My first  King George was Wayward Lad in 1985   and  I remember  I went to the bookie to back Burrough Hill Lad   but for some reason said Wayward Lad (I think he was 7/1)  I realised my mistake as I was walking away but took it as an omen and stuck with him.  I was convinced he would get done on the run in but luckily he held off Burrough Hill Lad. The next year  I was there for the first Dessie win  and will never forget  a guy sitting in the stands with his head in his hands  as  he came to back Dessie after watching his previous run but did not back him because of his price!  I remember the years of Douman bring horses over like  Nupsala  and of course The Fellow ( he broke my heart in the Gold Cup but that's another story)

I stopped going because the crowds starting getting very big  and it was hard to move around unlike the early days .  I can remember going to Windsor for The new years day hurdle back in those days as well.

My best result was the year I came to Ireland and took time off at Christmas to stay with friends   and I went down to a small local bookie and had 50 punts e/w  on Florida Pearl at 10/1    I ended up staying another fortnight with them !      I also remember telling a lot of people to back Best Mate for the Gold Cup  after the race  because if  I remember rightly  they held it up because they were not sure it would stay   and it came late but could not get past Florida Pearl

17 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

My first  King George was Wayward Lad in 1985   and  I remember  I went to the bookie to back Burrough Hill Lad   but for some reason said Wayward Lad (I think he was 7/1)  I realised my mistake as I was walking away but took it as an omen and stuck with him.  I was convinced he would get done on the run in but luckily he held off Burrough Hill Lad. The next year  I was there for the first Dessie win  and will never forget  a guy sitting in the stands with his head in his hands  as  he came to back Dessie after watching his previous run but did not back him because of his price!  I remember the years of Douman bring horses over like  Nupsala  and of course The Fellow ( he broke my heart in the Gold Cup but that's another story)

I stopped going because the crowds starting getting very big  and it was hard to move around unlike the early days .  I can remember going to Windsor for The new years day hurdle back in those days as well.

My best result was the year I came to Ireland and took time off at Christmas to stay with friends   and I went down to a small local bookie and had 50 punts e/w  on Florida Pearl at 10/1    I ended up staying another fortnight with them !      I also remember telling a lot of people to back Best Mate for the Gold Cup  after the race  because if  I remember rightly  they held it up because they were not sure it would stay   and it came late but could not get past Florida Pearl

Some crackers there Phil 

I had Cool Ground in that Gold Cup 1992 and purely because of the price, bookies stiffed me with the price as it was 33/1 and they gave me 25's 

Always loved Paul Carberry as a jockey,  he was stunning in some of those bumper races and it was because of him I got right into bumper races,  another race I'll never forget is when Harchibald won the 2004 Christmas hurdle 

I wasn't aware he was running and a few of us all lumped on,  ahhhhh those people that were on Rooster Booster 

Another race with a fine example it's never over till it's over 

Edited by Bangers

8 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

@Bangers   it is that Christmas Hurdle win for Harchibald that always makes me doubt the fact  when they say he was not genuine and would not go by when they talk about the Champion Hurdle 

It was a sore one for a lot of us 

I've never had much luck for years in the Champion hurdle 

If he comes over which I think he might the race could really suit Asterion Forlonge    I think sitting in behind Frodon might set him up  to go  on late.   I think if he had stood up in his last race he would be a lot shorter for this.  He has a lot of ability just seems to make mistakes at the wrong time

Can see this race / event being cancelled, maybe I'm just reading or hearing things wrong but ever get the feeling the Government are just biding their time to announce more stricter restrictions ? 

Apparently word has been leaked they are planning a Government recall shortly after Christmas,  if that rumour was to be true Oven ready gibbering Boris and those other bunch of double standard cheese and Wine plums won't be returning for nothing. 

It's like they know now exactly what they are going to do but the delivery on that broadcast / announcement is the tricky part.  

Edited by Bangers

14 minutes ago, Bangers said:

Can see this race / event being cancelled, maybe I'm just reading or hearing things wrong but ever get the feeling the Government are just biding their time to announce more stricter restrictions ? 

Apparently word has been leaked they are planning a Government recall shortly after Christmas,  if that rumour was to be true Oven ready gibbering Boris and those other bunch of double standard cheese and Wine plums won't be returning for nothing. 

It's like they know now exactly what they are going to do but the delivery on that broadcast / announcement is the tricky part.  

Wales has said that all sporting events from Boxing Day must be behind closed doors so no crowd at Chepstow for the Welsh national.   

I wonder if that is the likely route rather than events being called off.

The weather could have an input as well  as their is a chance of either snow or heavy rain this week end

• Keeemon 2

1 minute ago, philinvicta said:

Wales has said that all sporting events from Boxing Day must be behind closed doors so no crowd at Chepstow for the Welsh national.   

I wonder if that is the likely route rather than events being called off.

The weather could have an input as well  as their is a chance of either snow or heavy rain this week end

Yeh read all they points Phil and time will tell,  possible snow on Xmas day