Sign in to follow this  
Kinkerbells

Are they right?

When using numbers instead of names it is liable to happen. I guess as there was an actual 4.10 race it overrode the Chepstow named meeting. I still think PP could have honoured it though, but understand why they wouldnt in this case. 

The enigma machine couldn’t decipher that betting slip, looks like it was written by a child. He couldn’t write the names of the horses because he couldn’t spell!! Why didn’t he just copy it from the newspaper he picked them from! Had to go to hospital to get his blood checked… what a drama queen.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 2

Seems so antiquated that a scanned in handwritten betting slip is actually used in 2021. I'd be well pissed off if I lost out on a technicality like this. 

• Agree 1

Am I the only one who thinks he’s hard done by 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Yes

It doesn't show them in good light 

It's also why I do the horses name in large letters so it's very clear what I've backed,  I got shafted years ago from some old fart that was great at talking bollocks through the glass to customers she knew and wasn't paying attention to my simple request. 

Most staff in these shops today are clueless, feck knows what they say or do at any interview that got them the job. 

It will be in the rules  that the  time of the race   will count where there is a race off at the time and not the course.     If there is no race at a corresponding time then it will go onto the next race off at the course stated   I have even seen people get put onto a virtual race by staff in powers even though the punter has never backed a virtual horse in their life. Powers also quote their rule in the article with  regards to multiple bets.   I have to say  that if he did spot the error before the first horse ran and asked to be on the correct race  then the staff member was being a fudger for not correcting it as they are well able to do that.   Also when they were putting the bet confirmation through they could have asked him what did he want the 4.05 at Chepstow  or the 4.10 at newmarket if he was still in the shop.   I have made an error myself and the staff member would know I did not mean a horse at 100/1  but likely something else and they would query it with me  when inputting the bet.   These bets are first " collected"  when you put the bet on and pay for them  and then are  actually confirmed later.

The rubbish about wanting the money for a holiday with his son when he was laying out  over 50 quid on a bet seems to ring very hollow to me as well.  I think he knew it was wrong and thought he would being clever  by hoping to swing it to his advantage if either horse won.  Some guys have form for trying to do this  and they will often find that the staff know what they are at and they have the conversation with the area manager  and  it will get settled as in this case  but if they felt it was  more genuine then they would more than likely have a talk that could mean he could get his money.   At the end of the day Powers  are not out to shaft a guy of this age for a couple of grand  if he is genuine.

The other thing is that now he has run to the press like this it means Powers already have  the bad publicity and so have nothing to gain by being generous to him

Edited by philinvicta
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Bangers said:

It doesn't show them in good light 

It's also why I do the horses name in large letters so it's very clear what I've backed,  I got shafted years ago from some old fart that was great at talking bollocks through the glass to customers she knew and wasn't paying attention to my simple request. 

Most staff in these shops today are clueless, feck knows what they say or do at any interview that got them the job. 

No chance of the bookies not being able to read your bets hardman in fact they should print bigger slips for ya. Wouldn’t be a problem if you got the wrong time though as they would just move it onto the next odds on favourite.

3 minutes ago, Blacko said:

No chance of the bookies not being able to read your bets hardman in fact they should print bigger slips for ya. Wouldn’t be a problem if you got the wrong time though as they would just move it onto the next odds on favourite.

tenor (8).gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RB91 said:

Yes

Wanker 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gkell727 said:

if he did ask them to change it before the race had started then he has been robbed !! They clearly could have amended the selection . Paddy power are being Obtuse, and unnecessarily greedy .  

56 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

if he did ask them to change it before the race had started then he has been robbed !! They clearly could have amended the selection . Paddy power are being Obtuse, and unnecessarily greedy .  

Paddy Power are not being obtuse they are saying he was told which race it was on and did not challenge at the time (he says he asked them to change it) and that he only challenged it when he went to collect the bet  .   They actually did him a favour by making it a nr  increasing the payout  from 55 up to 364.   

You will also note from the article it was not the only race time he got wrong   and also he did not stake the bet right either.  They are making a thing about him writing 51.00  and paying that when the bet came to 50.50   as well but as I said before this would not show up until the bet was transposed. 

Edited by philinvicta
  • Agree 1

I would also add that if I was Powers  and he came in to cash the bet I would revert to the "correct" pay out and give him  the 55 quid and not the 364  as he declined that 

5 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

Paddy Power are not being obtuse they are saying he was told which race it was on and did not challenge at the time (he says he asked them to change it) and that he only challenged it when he went to collect the bet  .   They actually did him a favour by making it a nr  increasing the payout  from 55 up to 364.   

You will also note from the article it was not the only race time he got wrong   and also he did not stake the bet right either.  They are making a thing about him writing 51.00  and paying that when the bet came to 50.50   as well but as I said before this would not show up until the bet was transposed. 

I ain’t defending the bookies but every fucker would be chancing their arm if Paddy’s paid out in these scenarios.

@philinvicta he’d already amended one race why did he not correct the other? Can’t make heads or tails of it !

58 minutes ago, 19 Neighbours said:

@philinvicta he’d already amended one race why did he not correct the other? Can’t make heads or tails of it !

He seems to be a chancer  who thinks he will get the sympathy  and hopes somebody will stump up  because of his age but I fear he will come unstuck.   The fact that Paddys spoke to the newspaper and put their position means he is on to a loser.  It also said that that he had refused the payout so if it goes to arbitration  and Paddys will have  a recording no doubt  and I reckon he will then end up with the 55 if he is not careful.

Most people who gamble a lot in bookies tend to know a messer when they see one and this guy seems to me to fit the bill,   I seriously doubt this is the first bet this guy has had a problem with but the first time this much money is at stake,   

As usual the story is written as a poor punter versus the nasty robbing bookies scenario by somebody that really does not understand fully what they are writing about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacko said:

I ain’t defending the bookies but every fucker would be chancing their arm if Paddy’s paid out in these scenarios.

I am pretty sure this guy is a regular losing punter which was why they  treated it as a non runner to try and appease him.  I have seen plenty of it  over the years but in the end some people push it too far and once you get a  reputation  you will find that they are not prepared to  take your bets any more.

• Agree 1