The Day Frankie Dettori cost me £1.4million

Bangers

I read on the racing post that he diverted to Ascot  from his Worcester as the road was blocked and he only had a 3k float  and was winning after the first few races and then he went mad laying bets in the last.  He went on to Milton Keynes dogs where his son was standing and said Dad we had a bad start and lost 17 quid on the first race lol

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

I read on the racing post that he diverted to Ascot  from his Worcester as the road was blocked and he only had a 3k float  and was winning after the first few races and then he went mad laying bets in the last.  He went on to Milton Keynes dogs where his son was standing and said Dad we had a bad start and lost 17 quid on the first race lol

We all know what it feels like losing that big daft bet or bets we've done over the years but I wonder what it feels like just standing watching the very horse you don't want to win take up the running 

Done a few bets myself that have lost and I've walked out the bookies and literally can't feel my face,  Id gather myself up a few days later and move on but his loss must have been brutal. 

Agree with Harry Findlay when he said you see some people that had 5 million but lost two but they still have 3 million left,  what about the person that had £200 and lost it all and now have nothing.  That's very true and more relatable to someone like me. 

Edited by Bangers
  • Keeemon 2

18 minutes ago, Bangers said:

We all know what it feels like losing that big daft bet or bets we've done over the years but I wonder what it feels like just standing watching the very horse you don't want to win take up the running 

Done a few bets myself that have lost and I've walked out the bookies and literally can't feel my face,  Id gather myself up a few days later and move on but his loss must have been brutal. 

Agree with Harry Findlay when he said you see some people that had 5 million but lost two but they still have 3 million left,  what about the person that had £200 and lost it all and now have nothing.  That's very true and more relatable to someone like me. 

I have often been skint in my younger days leaving a bookies then  your mates asking if you want to go for a meet up and you have to say no and be stuck indoors for the night.  It is always a bad feeling when you know you have done the stupid thing and sometimes still do it being aware it is stupid.

Nothing worse than seeing guys in betting shops losing a few hundred and then begging for two quid !

41 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

I have often been skint in my younger days leaving a bookies then  your mates asking if you want to go for a meet up and you have to say no and be stuck indoors for the night.  It is always a bad feeling when you know you have done the stupid thing and sometimes still do it being aware it is stupid.

Nothing worse than seeing guys in betting shops losing a few hundred and then begging for two quid !

I can't sit in bookies the way I did a few years back, the people that made it decent or a good laugh have all gone,  still around but doing other things or they like me can't sit as they once did, the thing is even when you do pass a place and glance in you still see the same people sitting tapping away on those fobt's hoping for that jackpot, they same people returned as soon as they could after Covid. 

I still get my biggest rushes from all in bets, the £50 or £100 just don't do it for me anymore,  I have a minimum win in my head and if It's not possible to reach that amount I just don't bother making the effort. 

I still remember Frankie going on the morning line and handing out those big cartoon style cheques to people that had won 

Pretty sure his Dad done it too be that in Italy 

I've read most of his books that were Xmas gifts 

I just can't ever catch him 

My old man was the very same with Pat Eddery 

• Keeemon 1