Decision

salfordlad

Guest andywilliams1187
4 minutes ago, jaydublin11 said:

As for saving lives , I think you can actually save more lives by being part of a team who develop medicine for various diseases rather than from covid testing centre who publish the numbers 

Depends what he is going in biotech mate - i know someone who works in biotech and he develops e-liquids for vaping mods. 

Earns a cracking wage though lol

I think that "protect the NHS" is actually going to end up being "destroy the NHS" as GPs barricade themselves in their surgeries hiding out of the way until their early retirement comes through and talk of 5 year waiting lists are touted. I had a diabetic eye test a few months ago and the guy had to travel down from Inverness to Glasgow to do it as there was nobody closer and he told me anyone already on a waiting list for a cataract operation just had it put back 4 years.Things could get so bad that privitisation is offered up as the answer and people are so desperate they accept it. The NHS may well be on a slippery slope so I know where I would go if it were me.

As an aside I'm hearing that a big news story is going to break in a few days about testing kits being stolen, not just a few, millions of them.

• Keeemon 1

4 minutes ago, ColourMeUp said:

Not sure if serious, sod the NHS. 

Someone had a go at me the other day for bashing a *free* service. I said the last time I used it was for stitches in my hand, which they buggered up and I now have nerve damage in. Shithole of a service, shithole of a country and a shithole government 

Guest andywilliams1187
4 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Someone had a go at me the other day for bashing a *free* service. I said the last time I used it was for stitches in my hand, which they buggered up and I now have nerve damage in. Shithole of a service, shithole of a country and a shithole government 

When my brother came off his motorbike, they xrayed his leg and sent him home. Two days later he was in agony. When he went back it turned out that they had mis-read the xray - he had snapped his leg above and below the knee so it was effectivley "floating"

They keep him in hospital, next day a surgeon comes out and starts drawing on his leg explaining where they will make the cuts to fix it. Halfway through my brother says "thats great mate, but can you do the other leg as the one your drawing on is fine". Surgeon rechecks the notes and says "oh yeah, so it is". 

Does make you wonder at times

2 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

When my brother came off his motorbike, they xrayed his leg and sent him home. Two days later he was in agony. When he went back it turned out that they had mis-read the xray - he had snapped his leg above and below the knee so it was effectivley "floating"

They keep him in hospital, next day a surgeon comes out and starts drawing on his leg explaining where they will make the cuts to fix it. Halfway through my brother says "thats great mate, but can you do the other leg as the one your drawing on is fine". Surgeon rechecks the notes and says "oh yeah, so it is". 

Fucking hell. Too busy making Tik Tok videos and cashing in their claps 

Guest andywilliams1187
Just now, Gkell727 said:

Fucking hell. Too busy making Tik Tok videos and cashing in their claps 

He ended up with a payout just shy of 10k - his brief at the time told him he could push for a lot more but it would take years for evidence gathering etc so he took the money 

Not really sure why it takes years to prove someone can't tell left from right but he took the easy money as he was young and needed it

1 minute ago, andywilliams1187 said:

My old man went to the A&E in the Vale of Leven hospital with a blinding headache and all the veins on his forehead were bulging like crazy and they sent him to the Paisley Royal Infirmary for a more thorough examination and the Dr told him he had blocked sinuses and to go home and he would be contacting the VOL about why they sent him over wasting his time.  Turns out it was a brain tumor.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, salfordlad said:

Well as the title suggests I have a decision to make.

It is relation to my career and before people think why is this guy asking a gambling forum for career advice I will add I think there are lots of people from diverse backgrounds on here who could offer me advice my immediate friends could not from an unbiased perspective.

Basically I am currently employed by the NHS carrying out covid testing on a fixed term contract. I have recently been through a very rigorous application process for a position in a biotech which I think is going places. I have been offered this position which is nigh on my dream job but......

I told my boss at the hospital about all of this and he essentially said he wanted to keep me for a really interesting position albeit on poor wages.  My dilemma is I enjoy knowing I am helping people in the NHS and would love to say but the wages are way way less and the attitude of some staff is hard to deal with.

The easy answer is to leave the NHS but I feel a duty and need to help. Am I being stupid??

Go for the dream job mate, you will regret it otherwise, particularly if s similar opportunity doesn't present itself for a long time.

What I would also say is dont stay in a job because of a supposed future opportunity. I've been there and also seen it happen too many times, the opportunity doesn't materialise or its not what you were led to believe. Im not saying your boss isn't being truthful but I've seen too much lip service just to keep people who are on about leaving then nothing happens and the person is stuck again.

• Keeemon 1

Guest Chair Slots
2 hours ago, salfordlad said:

I really am struggling with this decision. I know the simple answer is to leave the NHS and go to the interesting job that has a much better wage and many other benefits yet I know I will feel like a sell out and piece of shit when things get bad in the winter. I am not motivated by money but have asked managers in the lab here about the future and it is all a mess 

Someone else will take your place mate it’s not as if people will be left needing Covid tests without you. And fuck what everyone else thinks anyway.

Plus remember the need for Covid testers won’t last forever. Someone I know did that job recently and the team was downsized by half.

15 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

The surgeon tells the patient I have good news and bad news .  Patient said give me the good news first. Surgeon said the amputation was a great success. Well what is the bad news asked the patient.  We took the wrong leg off said the surgeon.

The old saying "Doctors bury their mistakes "

• Love 1

@salfordlad I'd go for it mate. Its very admirable what you are doing at the NHS and that you are considering the implications of leaving, both to and them. The sad truth is you are, and will always be in any organisation just a number. There will be someone waiting to jump into your shoes equally as dedicated if you choose to leave. You have to look after number one and do what's best for you and your family. Good luck with whatever you decide buddy.

• Keeemon 1

Thanks for all the responses people it has helped confirm what I was leaning towards initially which is to take the biotech position. I am speaking to the CEO shortly to discuss my terms so fingers crossed they pay me what I want them to. I do feel guilty still about leaving the NHS as in spite of it having its flaws there are lots of good people there working hard under trying circumstances to try and help sick people. Thanks again TGC for the sound advice.

• Keeemon 4

33 minutes ago, salfordlad said:

Seems I now need advice on share options. I am aware on a surface level of what a share option is etc but the fine detail eludes me. Any obvious pitfalls to avoid?

They are called options for a reason you have the option to take them or not.   In most cases you are given an option to buy shares at a certain price on a certain date in the future.  If you are offered the option at 50p  and they are worth  more on that date you would buy but this will create  tax liabilities (possible income tax /  capital gains ) ,  If they are worth less than 50p you can pass. Most public companies that offer this also offer a savings plan to go with it and if you do not take up the option to buy you get your cash saved back.  They often have  a yearly plan   with maybe an option to buy date 2-3 years in the future.   If you stay a long time  you can build up a good amount of shares over the years.

I am sure that some of the money people  can answer any questions you might have by PM if needed

• Keeemon 1

Guest andywilliams1187
1 hour ago, salfordlad said:

Seems I now need advice on share options. I am aware on a surface level of what a share option is etc but the fine detail eludes me. Any obvious pitfalls to avoid?

You need to check if they are conditional or not. The company i work for has share options but a lot of people take the conditional shares thinking that it's better value as you get more. You don't - you actually forfeit them if you leave within 5 years. Check the small print with it mate. 

The benefit of share options can be tax reduction. I have a SIP with work so each month a portion of my salary is used to by shares in the company, but you don't pay any tax or national insurance on the salary amount that is dedcuted (e.g. £100 in shares costs me only around £65 as the actual shares are purchased before the taxman beats me up)

3 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

You need to check if they are conditional or not. The company i work for has share options but a lot of people take the conditional shares thinking that it's better value as you get more. You don't - you actually forfeit them if you leave within 5 years. Check the small print with it mate. 

The benefit of share options can be tax reduction. I have a SIP with work so each month a portion of my salary is used to by shares in the company, but you don't pay any tax or national insurance on the salary amount that is dedcuted (e.g. £100 in shares costs me only around £65 as the actual shares are purchased before the taxman beats me up)

Came to post this. Good post. 

• Keeemon 1

Thanks for the advice guys I am now going to have to ask some more involved questions of my offer although I have thankfully been offered a very decent salary it is now a question of what proportion of that if any I want as share options. Again thanks again for the responses and advice to all and esp @andywilliams1187. And inspite of all this I am now going to punt 100 in FOBT lol

5 minutes ago, salfordlad said:

Thanks for the advice guys I am now going to have to ask some more involved questions of my offer although I have thankfully been offered a very decent salary it is now a question of what proportion of that if any I want as share options. Again thanks again for the responses and advice to all and esp @andywilliams1187. And inspite of all this I am now going to punt 100 in FOBT lol

I suggest you need to read the share options document very carefully and take proper advice  if the company is not listed or listed on a foreign exchange this can affect how you are going to cash in your shares  and you may be only be able to do this at specific times.    

Maybe work out what salary you want to take home to allow for living expenses holidays car etc  and take a punt with some of the balance on share options.   Also try and find out a history of the share price.   

Normally most of these companies will give you a detailed  idea of what is involved  how long you have to hold the shares  and how you can sell them etc

• Keeemon 1