ryans_slots

Advice............

Long story cut short;

I am severely overweight and I'm ready to change as I've abused my body with takeaways, sugary drinks all the crap I don't need, it's starting to impact my life........... and I have Non alcoholic fatty liver disorder (good news is it's reversible should I start soon with a more balanced diet and fitness).

Yes I understand eat less, move more, sign up to a gym, eat more fruit and veg and drink more water less added sugary drinks.

the question - is there any dieticians on here or anyone who has followed a good diet plan and had good results that they would recommend to me?

I was offered weight loss surgery however cancelled due to pandemic and my mind is much more clearer now than it was in 2020 and would want to lose weight natural now rather than the cheating way out by surgery.

I'm addicted to coca cola/pepsi, kebabs, chinese, pizza all the usual shit.. I used to cook before but just got lazy and since lockdown 2020 the first time I just got bored of sitting in and went out to local takeaway every evening pretty much, I haven't worked since March 2020 (work place still not allowed to be open... so more sitting around at home doing nothing).

Educational guess I've put on 3.5 stone since March 2020.

I know there's advice all over the net however just reaching out here first there is any stories that people have similar to mine.

Any advice is appreciated,

• Agree 1
  • Good Luck! 3

No expert mate but I’d say don’t cut out everything as u will either give up or die of boredom ha but maybe give urself a small treat once a day and maybe one take out once a week (maybe a Friday) eat healthy between and obviously walk and exercise more. Not easy when ur not used to it but just try and think this could save ur life and good luck 🙌🏻

• Like 4

My advice would be not to follow any set diet plan. They generally wont work for most people as they can be over restrictive, but they can give you direction and goals which are a good thing.

The way to lose weight is quite simple -- Be in a calorie deficit each day. You can work out your calorie intake amount per day using many free online tools just google one and find your daily allowed intake. Then you can target yourself to being in a calorie deficit. It's also a good idea to get an app to track everything you put into your mouth so you can accurately track it. MyFitnessPal is a decent one from what I remember. It can be quite suprising seeing how much you actually eat/drink per day if you track it accurately and also a lot of foods/drinks can be deceptively bad for you, which the app will show you clearly.

The easiest change you can make for sure though will be to cut out the takeaways and fizzy drinks. Most takeaways, especially if youre ordering kebabs and pizza would put you near or above your entire calorie intake per day with just one meal, so obviously they HAVE to go. The same goes for coke and pepsi. The easiest swap is to coke zero or diet pepsi etc. Yes, they dont taste the same but you will get used to it. Without removing those 2 elements from your 'diet' will mean it will be extremely difficult to lose weight. Just by changing those 2 things though you can make a lot of progress quite quickly, assuming you stick to being in a calorie deficit each day via alternative foods/drinks.

Signing up to a gym would of course also be a good idea. Weight training would help you a lot. Most gyms these days will give you a free first session to learn the equipment and basic routines. You dont have to sign up to a gym though to lose weight, but progress will be a lot slower without it. Weight training is something everyone should do though, not to be Mr. Muscle but simply in terms of general health. Perhaps get a bike or go for walks as well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, howfin said:

My advice would be not to follow any set diet plan. They generally wont work for most people as they can be over restrictive, but they can give you direction and goals which are a good thing.

The way to lose weight is quite simple -- Be in a calorie deficit each day. You can work out your calorie intake amount per day using many free online tools just google one and find your daily allowed intake. Then you can target yourself to being in a calorie deficit. It's also a good idea to get an app to track everything you put into your mouth so you can accurately track it. MyFitnessPal is a decent one from what I remember. It can be quite suprising seeing how much you actually eat/drink per day if you track it accurately and also a lot of foods/drinks can be deceptively bad for you, which the app will show you clearly.

The easiest change you can make for sure though will be to cut out the takeaways and fizzy drinks. Most takeaways, especially if youre ordering kebabs and pizza would put you near or above your entire calorie intake per day with just one meal, so obviously they HAVE to go. The same goes for coke and pepsi. The easiest swap is to coke zero or diet pepsi etc. Yes, they dont taste the same but you will get used to it. Without removing those 2 elements from your 'diet' will mean it will be extremely difficult to lose weight. Just by changing those 2 things though you can make a lot of progress quite quickly, assuming you stick to being in a calorie deficit each day via alternative foods/drinks.

Signing up to a gym would of course also be a good idea. Weight training would help you a lot. Most gyms these days will give you a free first session to learn the equipment and basic routines. You dont have to sign up to a gym though to lose weight, but progress will be a lot slower without it. Weight training is something everyone should do though, not to be Mr. Muscle but simply in terms of general health. Perhaps get a bike or go for walks as well.

Interesting, Thanks will take note.

16 minutes ago, ryans_slots said:

Lol

Blacko is the best when explaining first word problems lol

Eat fruit for breakfast. I did that for a couple of months instead of toast or cereal or whatever and lost like a stone.

Put it all back in since though, and some. 🙄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chair Slots said:

Eat fruit for breakfast. I did that for a couple of months instead of toast or cereal or whatever and lost like a stone.

Put it all back in since though, and some. 🙄

That's the thing I don't eat breakfast neither do I have a routine, I've worked nights for years and ur sleep always gets fucked up body clock is all wrong, I go bed like 5 am wake up 2-4pm don't eat, but will eat more around 8pm - 1 am any time between that like.

But I do actually like lots of fruit so it's a good thing I just am lazy with pretty much everything that's the thing I needa drive out of me.

5 minutes ago, ryans_slots said:

That's the thing I don't eat breakfast neither do I have a routine, I've worked nights for years and ur sleep always gets fucked up body clock is all wrong, I go bed like 5 am wake up 2-4pm don't eat, but will eat more around 8pm - 1 am any time between that like.

But I do actually like lots of fruit so it's a good thing I just am lazy with pretty much everything that's the thing I needa drive out of me.

Try and cut down or replace the stuff you eat in the early hours then before bed.

• Like 1

Go vegan, no one wants to eat the shite @Rocknrolla eats, you're guaranteed to lose weight.

Baby steps Ryan, take the plunge and sign yourself up to a local weight loss class where you will be given proper advice and won’t be judged. Sounds as if a complete lifestyle change is in order my friend, time to turn off the slots and throw all that shit your eating in the bin.

Gyms are intimidating to folk who are on the bigger side, you have to be very careful that your body is prepared for vigorous exercise. I agree with howfin that a personal trainer would be the best idea, they will take you through everything including stretches and warm up routines ( I’ve lost count of the people that have injured themselves not warming up properly ).

Ive always owned dogs as I feel they have kept me healthy over the years. Thing is with dogs is that your committed to walking them at least twice a day, I’m at least 90 minutes daily. You won’t see huge weight loss with this but your body will thank you for it.

Get a plan in your head first Ryan, don’t try to build Rome in a day as it will fail quickly. Your going to have weeks where you will be delighted when the scales tell you you’ve lost 4lb, other weeks you will have even gained a pound after your hard work, it’s down to sheer willpower. Forget slots and ur obsession with the ukgc and fuck those kebabs and crisp packets into the bin. Just remember most of the UK has gained weight after a year of lockdown sitting in their houses eating and drinking so your not alone.

Good luck.

• Like 2

@howfin hinted at it above with the calorie deficits. If you remain slightly hungry then that's a good thing - except when shopping for food. (I found that being hungry caused me to stock up the trolley and then having to eat things before they went off).

Exercise-wise, have a look at Geocaching - basically walking with a bit of fun.

Because of that, I'm now a bit harder to see 😉

All the best with what you try and I hope it works.

• Like 2

@ryans_slots you dont need a fancy gym or diet plan mate. 

As long as you are doing something to raise your heartrate/burn some calories then the weight will start to drop off. I find that going on long walks is one of the most efficient and theraputic ways of taking stock of your life while getting some decent excercise. Helps is you have a dog as well as they motivate you to actually get moving (except when its pissing down as my dog refuses to go out in the rain). 

If you go to a gym and say you want to lose weight, they will throw all sorts of courses/food plans/membership options at you and it can end up getting very expensive. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

@ryans_slots you dont need a fancy gym or diet plan mate.  As long as you are doing something to raise your heartrate/burn some calories then the weight will start to drop off. 

This is fairly inaccurate. You can be active all day and all that but if you're still eating too many calories per day you wont lose weight. As such, a diet plan is needed. While it doesnt have to be a paid plan or a professional plan some form of diet plan is required. This can be one you make yourself to suit your own likes and dislikes. I do agree that gyms and personal trainers can get expensive really quick but a monthly membership at a gym is generally around £20 which is well worth it for the return you get. One or two personal training sessions would probably cost you £40 per session or around that mark but again, well worth it if you have no idea what you're doing and to set you up with a routine. 

• Like 1

@ryans_slots

Tey noom. 

It's a weight loss app and you get it free for the first 14 days (it then goes on to charge you a decent amount, before which just cancel, simple and no issues) 

It will however get you an idea of how many calories you should be aiming for per day, and the scanner on it (a bit like My fitness pal) is very good. 

I think personally (as I've done something similar although not as drastic) I needed to sub in things so I wasn't punishing myself too bad.

E.G -

- Switch to the diet versions of fizzy pop. Diet cokes weird got a week or 2 if you're not used to drinking it, after that it's fine. 

- Instead of not ordering takeaways, (to start with) just order a smaller one and have a pint of water with it to fill you up. 

- Instead of having a full English, have egg on toast and a cuppa etc. 

It is tough but at least psychologically those things helped me and made it feel a bit less punishing.

• Like 2

I think @Brownman24 lost a fair bit of weight. He'll have some good advise.

I'm sure there's there's thread about it somewhere from a couple of years ago 🤔

• Like 1

Life’s too short, some treat their bodies as temples and others amusement parks. We will all be dead soon anyway 

3 hours ago, Denman said:

Go vegan, no one wants to eat the shite @Rocknrolla eats, you're guaranteed to lose weight.

I’ve heard it makes you really Irritable and you turn into a stroppy menstrual fucker on it. At least in Rolla’s case 

4 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Life’s too short, some treat their bodies as temples and others amusement parks. We will all be dead soon anyway 

You're so cheery, brighten my day right up :Mutley:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@ryans_slots  the first thing  you need to do is work out how many calories are in the food you are eating (google can be good for this) .  I would also suggest walking  as you need to build up your fitness before even contemplating a gym I believe.    

Try and decide what you want to eat in your meals and then work out the calories in each meal.   Also then allow for what you are drinking and snacking on  .  You will need to  then come up with a meal plan that puts you in a calorie deficit to start losing weight.    The walking will add to your daily calorie deficit.  Do not decide to treat yourself after exercise as it will just negate the benefit.   I would suggest you allow yourself a cheat day where you allow a small treat because if you go too mad on a cheat day you will just put the weight back on.

Make sure you start with what you are comfortable with and as you have been put up for weigh loss surgery I would suggest a chat with your doctor before you start. He may be able to recommend a dietician  who can help with your meal planning.

The important thing is you will need to change your lifestyle  as going on a diet losing the weight and going back to your old ways will be no good for you either. You may find that you can still eat the food you really like but maybe have to cook it differently eg instead of a fry up cook food under the grill or in an air fryer

Do not try and lose the weight too quickly   if you lose a couple of pounds a week over  time you will feel a lot better.  In the early weeks it is probable that you will lose weight more quickly but after a while the rate will slow down so prepare yourself for it and do not get disheartened. I would suggest you do not weigh yourself too often either  you will know you are losing weight because you clothes will get looser.

Good Luck and I hope you find a way 

Edited by philinvicta
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Thank fuck you and @Chair Slots don’t volunteer for the Samaritans, people would be forming a queue to jump off the top of the Blackpool tower.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Amusement park all day. 

• Agree 1

You could try the prepared meals that come delivered to your house. Where I live you can get 5 reasonably healthy (spaghetti bolognese, chilli etc) lunches and dinners delivered for around £40. It’s more expensive than doing it yourself but it saves hassle and they come with all the nutritional info. I don’t know how nice they’d be, but the people who get paid to promote them on Twitter say they’re delicious lol. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1