Fishing

salfordlad

On 02/04/2021 at 15:47, Mad Slasher McGurk said:

They are calling it an "all rounder" rod, I was just after something a bit more sturdy than my spinning rod which casts 40oz tops but something a bit easier to handle than my beachcaster.  

I've also just ordered a small melting furnace as I've decided I'm going to have a go at casting my own lead weights and lures. I'm really dissapointed in the quality of modern professional lures and jigs as they just appear to be lead with some foil wrapping nowadays and it all seems to fall off after half an hours fishing and you are just left with a lump of dull lead so I figured I might as well have a go at making my own so I got a mould last week and just ordered the furnace.  I've found that coating them in epoxy resin seems to make them last a bit longer.

My old man used to make his own bomber weights for the shore fishing at Loch Long, pretty simple to do when you get your mould. The old fashioned lead weights are far better than the modern ones but I don't know how much damage they do to the environment.

Beachcasters are handy but can be a bit sore on the arms after a while, 4 Mackerel on the end of the line can be fun and games.

I would go for something a little lighter than a beach caster, a decent spinning rod. Depends how far out your looking to cast.

• Keeemon 1

This was this Wednesday evening, meant to post it while I was there. Went after some big bream and tench after the few warm days we'd had but still a bit early for them and didn't have a knock. Will wait another month.

That bloody swan needs shooting. There are 2 that torment me every session. The lake has 40 rescue swans on and all bar the 2 stay on the other side of the lake where people feed them. These 2 though stay on the fishing bank and just swim back and forth through your lines looking for scraps you might have thrown in... nothing puts them off. They've wiped my rods out more times than I can imagine, one managed to even get the line wrapped round its head 🙈 thought I was gonna decapitate it. The bank is about 500 yards long to give some context, the worst is when some nob decides to feed these two 5 yards from my swim. Rant over...

20210404_183545.jpg

Edited by bigbucks1983
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, bigbucks1983 said:

This was this Wednesday evening, meant to post it while I was there. Went after some big bream and tench after the few warm days we'd had but still a bit early for them and didn't have a knock. Will wait another month.

That bloody swan needs shooting. There are 2 that torment me every session. The lake has 40 rescue swans on and all bar the 2 stay on the other side of the lake where people feed them. These 2 though stay on the fishing bank and just swim back and forth through your lines looking for scraps you might have thrown in... nothing puts them off. They've wiped my rods out more times than I can imagine, one managed to even get the line wrapped round its head 🙈 thought I was gonna decapitate it. The bank is about 500 yards long to give some context, the worst is when some nob decides to feed these two 5 yards from my swim. Rant over...

20210404_183545.jpg

They can be very annoying but they are part of nature. Just be more vigilant with your rods so they do not get caught up as that gives all anglers a bad name. Liking the fact your not using alarms 

19 minutes ago, salfordlad said:

They can be very annoying but they are part of nature. Just be more vigilant with your rods so they do not get caught up as that gives all anglers a bad name. Liking the fact your not using alarms 

Just throw a half brick at the fucker.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, salfordlad said:

Bumping this thread as I am out to fish a new water on Sunday and looking forward to it. Any other TGC fisher people out this weekend? What you hoping to catch and where?

What's the stock in the new water? You going for carp?

I'm getting to go a few hours next Saturday while the in laws are down. Not really sure where I'll go, its not warmed up enough for where I want to. There's a lake down the road that has bream up to 18 and tench to 10 and a few fish are coming out but its generally a water you fish a few nights and might only get one or two fish. Think with only 5 hours id have to be extremely lucky to get a bite as there isn't much in the way of small fish to keep me busy. Rivers are out of action and the canal is too busy. Got a few carp puddles I can go to but bores me pulling out 5lb carp on a chuck with torn up mouths. Will be taking my little girl and her nan to a lake full of 2oz rudd after I've been, gonna buy her a little whip and see if she can use it.

• Keeemon 1

21 minutes ago, Player1173 said:

@salfordlad I went for a few hours this afternoon on my local syndicate, didn't catch but the sun was out and great to be out there again. Good luck on the new venue on Sunday.

20210416_151044.jpg

@Player1173 Liking the look of that water and the the beer in the sun sums up why I like fishing. Peace and quite just relaxing. Catching is a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, bigbucks1983 said:

What's the stock in the new water? You going for carp?

I'm getting to go a few hours next Saturday while the in laws are down. Not really sure where I'll go, its not warmed up enough for where I want to. There's a lake down the road that has bream up to 18 and tench to 10 and a few fish are coming out but its generally a water you fish a few nights and might only get one or two fish. Think with only 5 hours id have to be extremely lucky to get a bite as there isn't much in the way of small fish to keep me busy. Rivers are out of action and the canal is too busy. Got a few carp puddles I can go to but bores me pulling out 5lb carp on a chuck with torn up mouths. Will be taking my little girl and her nan to a lake full of 2oz rudd after I've been, gonna buy her a little whip and see if she can use it.

Surprisingly the lake I am going to fish I know nothing about and even the internet has no info. It is a Manchester lake too and I thought I knew all the lakes in Manchester . I will be taking a float rod, a lure rod and a light carp rod so prepared for anything. It is in bandit country though so I am hoping the locals are friendly but I have fished many a dodgy park lake so all should be good. 

You should have a go on the lake down the road as it only takes one bite to get a fish of a lifetime. At least you know you will be getting some Rudd this weekend. Great to get the little ones into fishing and Rudd are a great specoes as very obliging and pretty fish just like Perch. Best of luck mate.

• 4 weeks later...

So I had a great few hours fishing on the canal today. Was hoping for a big perch but could not stop catching pike on my ultra light lure set up it seems the pike wanted a ned rig today, Ended up with 9 pike and 2 perch biggest pike about 4lb but great fun on a super light set up. Any other TGC people get out fishing this weekend?

• Keeemon 2

This thread inspired me to ask my dad if he still had the fishing shit we used to use when we went fishing when a was a waine. He did. So we went fishing in Glasgow down the Clyde. As none of us have touched it in years just getting the hooks set and the rods set up was a challenge in itself. Bit of a bodge job but got it working but as usual when you fish the Clyde all you catch are stinking Eels which chew up half the line. Was fun none the less. Going to go looking for a better rod and gear and go illegal fishing up Busby or Lynn Park where there are lovely trouts to catch at some point.

• Puke! 1
  • Good Luck! 1
  • Keeemon 1