I would appreciate your opinion...

Douvan

9 minutes ago, Douvan said:

I appreciate your input and opinion. I'm genuinely not trying to poopoo your opinion, i'm just giving you honest answers.

Sometimes a chat allows us to see what it is we really want inside but can not find the answers alone 🙂

4 minutes ago, salfordlad said:

@Douvan Tough decision a combination of night shifts and bad neighbours is not a good one I have been there myself. Is there any way you could speak to the potential new employer to potentially negotiate a better offer so it does not necessarily exclude your house plans? 

During my Zoom interview, they could hear my neighbours which was embarassing to say the least. They know the position i'm in and the determination we've got to get out of here. As I sit here now with my noise cancelling headphones on, I can hear them slamming doors and arguing. It's taken to the point where I have to sleep with earplugs in to get any that I can.

Guest Chair Slots
55 minutes ago, Douvan said:

My wife has a CCJ on her credit score which is satisfied but the mortgage company require it to be 3 years old. The house we're going for is a new build which is shared ownership, they require it to be 3 years old which is the end of February, end of March by the time its on her credit score. So realistically mortage in place in April, we have the required deposit, no chain and the house is due to be built during July.

Taking the new job would mean we probably wouldnt be able to afford this house and have to go move along to somthing else. With this one, the housing company will pay all solicitor costs etc which saves us a chunk. @Chair Slots

Decision made then in my opinion mate. Get yourself moved and then look at changing your job, if the offer is still on the table. You’ll just have to put up with the noisy neighbours for a bit longer but it’s for the greater good.

@Douvan My priority in that situation would be to stay in your current job and move into your own home as the affect that can have not just on your sanity but your health and that of your family can be very detrimental. Could you try and ask your potential new employer if they can increase the salary on offer or maybe keep you on their books for future openings? 

Edited by salfordlad

See,

2 minutes ago, Chair Slots said:

Decision made then in my opinion mate. Get yourself moved and then look at changing your job, if the offer is still on the table. You’ll just have to put up with the noisy neighbours for a bit longer but it’s for the greater good.

Thanks for your opinion mate. Greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, salfordlad said:

@Douvan My priority in that situation would be to move as the affect that can have not just on your sanity but your health and that of your family can be very detrimental. Could you try and ask your potential new employer if they can increase the salary on offer or maybe keep you on their books for future openings? 

I did ask and they said there is no movement on the rate as thats the rate that every newb starts on to which I have no argument whatsoever.

• Agree 1

Just now, Douvan said:

I did ask and they said there is no movement on the rate as thats the rate that every newb starts on to which I have no argument whatsoever.

@Douvan sorry to hear that. I agree with  @Chair Slots in that case then. You seem to have a good professional reputation so I am sure there will be other future job opportunities and having your own home away from problem neighbours will be worth missing this chance in the long term I am sure.

1 hour ago, Douvan said:

Putting this out there because i'm not sure what to do myself and after a chat with friends and my wife...i'm still no further forward. I'm currently employed and have recently moved to a new job within the same sector i've been in for 23 years but i've been approached by my best mates dad who says i'm made of the right stuff to succeed in his sector which sounds like a eupehmism but really isn't. Here are the pros and cons of the two jobs.

Before i list them, I should maybe say why I am considering leaving my 23 year career. Basically, i've always been approached by other companies within the trade to work for them so i'd like to think I am good at my job...this company apprached me and licked my bum to get me there so I duly obliged and i must admit i fell foul of all the flattery. Now that I am there, I am not doing what i've done and what i'm skilled at, they've got me a in a lesser role but on my proper rate. I could stay and steal a wage but that's not how i am built..i like to earn my money and feel like I have made a contribution.

My current commute is 55 minutes door to door and the new one is 20 minutes tops.

My current salary is 25k with unlimited overtime and the new one would be around 20k but scope for progression within the company.

I work shifts right now meaning there is always someone to take my daughter to school and pick her up. New job would mean she would need to stay an hour after school each day at a cost.

I wouldn't have to do nights again, it would be straight days with a lovely early finish on a Friday.

We're saving for a mortgage so current job gives us a great chance but the new one would limit us, not stop us but limit us.

If my current employer puts me doing the job i'm skilled and should be doing, I guess I would probably stay and suffer the commute but that doesn't appear to be happening and i'm not happy.

My current neighbours are awake all night and refuse to be quiet, despite multiple pleas. With lockdown theyre noisy all day which is going to kill me on nights next week. I'm averaging about 3 hours a night.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Stay in a job i dislike which will help us buy a house and get us away from the neighbours from hell and allowing us to have a decents nights sleep or move into a whole new career and possibly love it but will force us to stay next to the pricks next door for longer and causing us to get fuck all sleep. 

Arrrggghhh.

How big are the other company, how “covid proof” is the other sector? 

Ive not seen the other replies but if you feel like you’re quite an important member of your team/company then I’d like at leveraging a counter offer... 

I work as an internal recruiter so if you want a wider conversations in the PMs etc let me know 

• Good Luck! 1
  • Keeemon 1

Just now, Brownman24 said:

Ive not seen the other replies but if you feel like you’re quite an important member of your team/company then I’d like at leveraging a counter offer... 

I work as an internal recruiter so if you want a wider conversations in the PMs etc let me know 

Look at*

• Keeemon 1

I would edge towards the job that makes you happier, however Job security should take importance too. 

With the lower salary, depending on how close you are to your monthly outgoings, there is sometimes a few hundred to trim from bills, I advise friends and family when it comes to utilities, shopping, phone, insurances, banking, TV. Feel free to drop a PM if you wanted a heads up in that field. 

• Keeemon 1

If you feel that you don't have enough recognition in your actual job, negotiate. If they disagree with your term leave. 

You say that you are doing great at your job, so you are an asset for them. 

Always ask for better or leave for better if you truly deserve it. The old days where you could spent your full working life in a company and being the boss at the end are done.

Plus you would have more time with your family which is way more valuable than money to me, but that depend on you. You can still have a mortgage a little bit later but you won't be able to spent this time with your kids for ever.

• Keeemon 1

Happy to give my view for what it’s worth, but all the best with whatever you decide. My background is a lawyer, and a reasonable amount of experience with mortgage/house prices etc. (To be clear the below is all speculative advice and not legal/financial advice). 

To give my full opinion, I’d like to mention some of the surrounding factors. 

Firstly, your current job is stable and has a good salary, if the new job does not work out then you have the dilemma of finding something new very quickly, otherwise you risk having to start to eat into your house deposit whilst you job hunt - not ideal, but it sounds like you’re good at what you do and should be able To source a new job fairly quickly. 

Secondly, the housing market is heavily expected to decline in the coming months. Unemployment will reach an all time high, demand and eligibility for mortgages/properties will decline and the market will suffer. Only short term, but it will. This is further strengthened by the fact that the SDLT holiday ends 31st March. You may therefore find that if you were to wait another 6 months or so before buying you not only have a bigger deposit, the CCJ is even older (and other credit factors probably also improved) and the price of what you are looking for may well have come down. Even the government are anticipating an 8% decrease in average house prices but in real terms it probably won’t be this bad but maybe consider a 3-4% saving on the purchase price. The other factors above would also suggest you would become more favourable to a lender and perhaps get a better rate which over the course of 25 years on that kind of money could be a big saving in itself. 

Umtimately, like others have said following your gut is always a good instinct to follow and you have to do what is right for you and your family. 

I think what I would be looking to do is take the new job, but put off the house purchase for 6 months. During that time your deposit will at worst stay the same, but you may earn a payrise with the new company given the scope for progression and then when you do buy might find yourself in a much stronger position. 

There’s of course some number crunching you need to do regarding the lower commute, but increase childcare cost and a lesser salary to begin with which only you can assess. 

Hope this helps and all the best with whatever you decide. 

• Keeemon 3

3 hours ago, Douvan said:

Putting this out there because i'm not sure what to do myself and after a chat with friends and my wife...i'm still no further forward. I'm currently employed and have recently moved to a new job within the same sector i've been in for 23 years but i've been approached by my best mates dad who says i'm made of the right stuff to succeed in his sector which sounds like a eupehmism but really isn't. Here are the pros and cons of the two jobs.

Before i list them, I should maybe say why I am considering leaving my 23 year career. Basically, i've always been approached by other companies within the trade to work for them so i'd like to think I am good at my job...this company apprached me and licked my bum to get me there so I duly obliged and i must admit i fell foul of all the flattery. Now that I am there, I am not doing what i've done and what i'm skilled at, they've got me a in a lesser role but on my proper rate. I could stay and steal a wage but that's not how i am built..i like to earn my money and feel like I have made a contribution.

My current commute is 55 minutes door to door and the new one is 20 minutes tops.

My current salary is 25k with unlimited overtime and the new one would be around 20k but scope for progression within the company.

I work shifts right now meaning there is always someone to take my daughter to school and pick her up. New job would mean she would need to stay an hour after school each day at a cost.

I wouldn't have to do nights again, it would be straight days with a lovely early finish on a Friday.

We're saving for a mortgage so current job gives us a great chance but the new one would limit us, not stop us but limit us.

If my current employer puts me doing the job i'm skilled and should be doing, I guess I would probably stay and suffer the commute but that doesn't appear to be happening and i'm not happy.

My current neighbours are awake all night and refuse to be quiet, despite multiple pleas. With lockdown theyre noisy all day which is going to kill me on nights next week. I'm averaging about 3 hours a night.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Stay in a job i dislike which will help us buy a house and get us away from the neighbours from hell and allowing us to have a decents nights sleep or move into a whole new career and possibly love it but will force us to stay next to the pricks next door for longer and causing us to get fuck all sleep. 

Arrrggghhh.

caught between a rock and a hard place mate, really need to weigh up the options and take the leap of faith, My advice is to stay at the old job and save your ass off to get the fuck out of that place, or pay me 10k to kill the neighbours in their sleep.

• Keeemon 1

@douvan I would maybe sound out some of the other people that have made you offers in the past or other firms that may be able to offer you something else if you are unhappy.  I know the feeling of not doing the job you thought you were going to be doing but if you can do it and they are happy to pay the money I would stick it out especially if you are looking to move shortly.  The reduction in the money as well as the extra expense regarding your daughter could lengthen your horizon to move.  Also consider what are the chances of quick promotion in the other company and what will be the likely increase in pay to go with it,  You also say at the moment you have lots of overtime will that be the same in the new job or is it just salary ?

You have to work out what is best for you over the next couple of years and what will have the least effect on making the move to your own house and away from your current situation.

Even though the market could fall it could also go up. It is never best to try and second guess these things and to make the move when you can and when you are happy you have found the right place to move to.  Remember it is not just a house but a home you are looking for .

• Keeemon 1

8 hours ago, Tricky0212 said:

Happy to give my view for what it’s worth, but all the best with whatever you decide. My background is a lawyer, and a reasonable amount of experience with mortgage/house prices etc. (To be clear the below is all speculative advice and not legal/financial advice). 

To give my full opinion, I’d like to mention some of the surrounding factors. 

Firstly, your current job is stable and has a good salary, if the new job does not work out then you have the dilemma of finding something new very quickly, otherwise you risk having to start to eat into your house deposit whilst you job hunt - not ideal, but it sounds like you’re good at what you do and should be able To source a new job fairly quickly. 

Secondly, the housing market is heavily expected to decline in the coming months. Unemployment will reach an all time high, demand and eligibility for mortgages/properties will decline and the market will suffer. Only short term, but it will. This is further strengthened by the fact that the SDLT holiday ends 31st March. You may therefore find that if you were to wait another 6 months or so before buying you not only have a bigger deposit, the CCJ is even older (and other credit factors probably also improved) and the price of what you are looking for may well have come down. Even the government are anticipating an 8% decrease in average house prices but in real terms it probably won’t be this bad but maybe consider a 3-4% saving on the purchase price. The other factors above would also suggest you would become more favourable to a lender and perhaps get a better rate which over the course of 25 years on that kind of money could be a big saving in itself. 

Umtimately, like others have said following your gut is always a good instinct to follow and you have to do what is right for you and your family. 

I think what I would be looking to do is take the new job, but put off the house purchase for 6 months. During that time your deposit will at worst stay the same, but you may earn a payrise with the new company given the scope for progression and then when you do buy might find yourself in a much stronger position. 

There’s of course some number crunching you need to do regarding the lower commute, but increase childcare cost and a lesser salary to begin with which only you can assess. 

Hope this helps and all the best with whatever you decide. 

Didn't know you are a lawyer mate .you can now be the tgc legal advice guru champ

• Keeemon 1

9 hours ago, Brownman24 said:

Current company is about 50m a year, new company is close to 1bn.

Both companys very covid safe with great job security.

As for counter offers...they have people who dont know how to do the job "babysit" the machine that someone of 23 years experience doing it properly. It would mean I would have to change from my shift to another shift and might upset whoever i'd be replacing but do you want the job done right or not.

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

I would edge towards the job that makes you happier, however Job security should take importance too. 

With the lower salary, depending on how close you are to your monthly outgoings, there is sometimes a few hundred to trim from bills, I advise friends and family when it comes to utilities, shopping, phone, insurances, banking, TV. Feel free to drop a PM if you wanted a heads up in that field. 

Thanks for your offer. We managed to lose about 200 off the current outgoing and with the new rate it would leave around 400 surplus a month which (if we got the house) would be tied up in mortgage, leaving very little.

• Keeemon 1

9 hours ago, VillaLad said:

Can’t believe nobody has told you to go n tell your neighbour to  Shut the fuck up. You’ve asked nicely and obviously they ain’t listening I’d be straight round telling them in no uncertain terms they either shut the fuck up or loose teeth.

In no way would I come out of there alive pal. He's bigger and harder than me, shes bigger and hard then me. We've had words before where i've expressed my mental health issues and explained that I need decent sleep in order to go and do my job properly. They just said they are a noisy family and thats the way they are. What doesnt help is that they have their tv on the chimney breast so any noise is going to be amplified. Sometimes its so bad i've missed whole nights of sleep. Sometimes ive slept in my car. Honestly. I remember one christmas when my daughter was young, i text him and asked if he could keep it down please because its christmas eve and my daughter is trying to nod off to sleep...he said down? how about up...and turned it up.

8 hours ago, philinvicta said:

@douvan I would maybe sound out some of the other people that have made you offers in the past or other firms that may be able to offer you something else if you are unhappy.  I know the feeling of not doing the job you thought you were going to be doing but if you can do it and they are happy to pay the money I would stick it out especially if you are looking to move shortly.  The reduction in the money as well as the extra expense regarding your daughter could lengthen your horizon to move.  Also consider what are the chances of quick promotion in the other company and what will be the likely increase in pay to go with it,  You also say at the moment you have lots of overtime will that be the same in the new job or is it just salary ?

You have to work out what is best for you over the next couple of years and what will have the least effect on making the move to your own house and away from your current situation.

Even though the market could fall it could also go up. It is never best to try and second guess these things and to make the move when you can and when you are happy you have found the right place to move to.  Remember it is not just a house but a home you are looking for .

There is overtime. I'd be allowed to go in early and leave late, once trained. In my current job, it's all weekend every weekend. Like this coming week, i'm on nights, so i'm going in tomorrow night (sunday) and will work friday night and that gives me a full extra weeks wage, covers the tax paid throughout the month.

@Douvan seems to me your in a real tough spot. Some good advice given as always by the TGC family. Have you done all the calculations - net pay (about £3580 standard) should never take overtime in as it could just disappear. Difference in mileage, car wear and tear ( minimum 35 minutes difference each way 15 miles? @ 12p a mile x 252 x 2 + 10% wear = £997 though don't know what you drive!

3580 - 997 = 2583 or £215 a month.

About 10 years ago I moved from a job I didn't like and had no further progression that paid me 27k and moved to a company that had plenty of possibilities. The catch was the money. I dropped just under 10k and money was bloody tight. We were buying our first house at the time. It took 2 years to get promoted up to 24k then another 3 years to get another 👀k then another 18 months upto 👀k  I then have moved to my current job where I run two central distribution centres that now pays me 👀k. Thats the end for me as I do not have the capacity to progress any further. Though to be honest I don't want or need to. The moral in that story is that I had a plan of where I wanted to get to and was prepared to take some steps back work my bollocks off and suffer financially to get there. Will it always work? No! But I believed that I could.

I hope that whatever you go with is the best for you and family.

• Keeemon 2