Sign in to follow this  
Kev40

What should i do going forward ?

Unfortunately last week i had a bad lapse. On Wednesday in the bookies and Thursday online stupidly on my mates account playing roulette. I can accept this loss as I've had a good year and i felt this had been coming for several weeks. Since i stopped everything bar the poker at the pub i can honestly say I've missed my Saturday night and i can also honestly say not one Saturday night poker did i lose more than i could afford or was on tilt after a bad beat. So after the loss last week i had a couple of singles on horses which one won which gave me £275 on Sunday. Not been that bothered about betting on horses i didn't collect the winnings until today. I found backing singles a bit stressful tbh and thought this is something i don't want to do. When i collected the winnings today for the first time in over a year i put a lucky 15 on which i had one winner at 10/1 so treble odds. Thing is i enjoyed it and didn't feel stressed or worried about the money if i had lost. I have no rush to collect the winnings as i live in a village and won't be in town anytime soon. Question is can i approach doing a lucky 15 on a sat like i did the poker ? I'd like to if i can. I have no desire to go on a fobt or staying in a bookies for longer than 5 minutes. In bet on and out. It may seem alot but my lucky 15 was a £5 win. I'm not rich but i do have savings and quite a high disposable income so the loss wouldn't hurt and it's also a figure i know wouldn't tilt me. Also i highly doubt this would be every week as today was the first time i had been in town for months. It's just after all the support on the forum i feel i need to be honest and honest in the future. The money i lost last week is written off and gone. Any advice and thoughts are most welcome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Kev40 It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into it.... if you feel strongly about it and feel like you can gamble for fun I see no harm.

However, why did you give up in the first place and how would you stop yourself from going back there? 

• Like 1

@Kev40 I think for you Kev as we've discussed before it's the online that was the problem so if you're happy just popping into the bookies to place a quick bet and do your Saturday poker then stick to that and exclude online 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jok3st3r said:

@Kev40 It sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into it.... if you feel strongly about it and feel like you can gamble for fun I see no harm.

However, why did you give up in the first place and how would you stop yourself from going back there? 

Problem was always slots and roulette @Jok3st3r . Horses never a problem but i know there's a figure that if i lose more than that figure I'm tilted. That's why the poker was never a problem cos i never went home thinking shit why did i just do that. 

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@Kev40 I think for you Kev as we've discussed before it's the online that was the problem so if you're happy just popping into the bookies to place a quick bet and do your Saturday poker then stick to that and exclude online 

Thing is mate poker hasn't been on since march and I've missed it. Not as a fix but just something to look forward to. I detest online with a passion and if i did that I'd blow the lot in no time. I have no desire to play slots and i want to keep it that way. Roulette is way too scary plus no point in the bookies as it's capped at £2 which just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Thing is i know i won't wake up tomorrow thinking I've got to go to the bookies. Never have so don't see my mindset changing. It literally could be next Saturday or a month before i do another lucky 15.

9 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

Thing is mate poker hasn't been on since march and I've missed it. Not as a fix but just something to look forward to. I detest online with a passion and if i did that I'd blow the lot in no time. I have no desire to play slots and i want to keep it that way. Roulette is way too scary plus no point in the bookies as it's capped at £2 which just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Thing is i know i won't wake up tomorrow thinking I've got to go to the bookies. Never have so don't see my mindset changing. It literally could be next Saturday or a month before i do another lucky 15.

You always said you enjoyed the Saturday poker which kept you at bay gambling elsewhere.  Just stick to the weekend lucky 15 or something to keep your interest until the pubs get back to some normality .

• Thanks 1

@Kev40 as you can see from my betting slips I posted today they were small stakes lucky15's each one cost me £7.50 and along with the outrageous e/w punt my total outlay was 25 quid. It turned out I'm due to collect about 80 quid back from those bets which I'm well chuffed with (probably won't happen again for a long while). Point I'm trying to make is you can still have fun on low stakes with a lot less stress. Fortunately my bankroll doesn't allow me to go daft. If you enjoyed the lucky15 you had then try it at low stakes.

As for the online stuff I'm afraid you're gonna have to tell your mate that he is under no circumstances allowed to let you deposit on his card. I know it's a tough one and I'm not telling you how to suck eggs mate. I wish you well buddy. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

By the way you can still have a go on the geegees for free and still win money. Try the ITV7, it's free to enter. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Blampy said:

@Kev40 as you can see from my betting slips I posted today they were small stakes lucky15's each one cost me £7.50 and along with the outrageous e/w punt my total outlay was 25 quid. It turned out I'm due to collect about 80 quid back from those bets which I'm well chuffed with (probably won't happen again for a long while). Point I'm trying to make is you can still have fun on low stakes with a lot less stress. Fortunately my bankroll doesn't allow me to go daft. If you enjoyed the lucky15 you had then try it at low stakes.

As for the online stuff I'm afraid you're gonna have to tell your mate that he is under no circumstances allowed to let you deposit on his card. I know it's a tough one and I'm not telling you how to suck eggs mate. I wish you well buddy. 

Cheers mate. Fortunately his account is looking like closed now ( can't even log in ) so certainly no more online. I used to do £5 win lucky 63 and 31's so a £5 lucky 15 does seem smaller for me. Most gambling sessions for me involve probably £700 to 1.5k which is way too much so £75 every now and then is well within my budget. Tbh I'm going to struggle to get a bet on every week. I think it's more a case of if I'm in town and the opportunity is there I'll put one on. I just wanted to be open and honest with everyone here and tell the truth as to what i was doing.

• Like 3

I have lost silly amounts when in tilt mode and regretted it shortly after.
I have found that taking a break helps, a month or 3. Also reducing deposit limits etc. and when I did return after a break I found I get as much value, value as in entertainment from low stakes, I place 10p eachway lucky 15's costs £3.00. I think for me it's not a great deal of money to lose and is well within my monthly / weekly budget.

thanks for sharing @Kev40 👍

• Like 1

@Kev40   I think as long as it is not going to affect you mentally and send you on tilt or chasing losses then you should do what you feel comfortable with.   I understand that the big loss in the week did get to you so make sure you maybe cannot lose that sort of money easily again.  As you said the poker kind of kept you sane with regards to gambling so maybe doing a lucky 15 once in a while will suffice until you can get your Saturday nights back.

As for doing 5 pound lucky 15s I think that is fine if it fits well within your budget as there is no point in doing small ones if they do not scratch the itch.

I also think you are sensible enough to know when you are starting to lose control and to be able to do something about it.

I have been a "problem gambler" all of my adult life  and nowadays have plenty of controls in place which I wish were there when I was younger.A t the same time I would not want to live with no gambling at all so I understand your need to have a bet in a safe way.  Giving up gambling full stop is not for everybody and I feel that the aim is to make sure that it does not affect your life in bad ways.

Stay safe 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

@Kev40   I think as long as it is not going to affect you mentally and send you on tilt or chasing losses then you should do what you feel comfortable with.   I understand that the big loss in the week did get to you so make sure you maybe cannot lose that sort of money easily again.  As you said the poker kind of kept you sane with regards to gambling so maybe doing a lucky 15 once in a while will suffice until you can get your Saturday nights back.

As for doing 5 pound lucky 15s I think that is fine if it fits well within your budget as there is no point in doing small ones if they do not scratch the itch.

I also think you are sensible enough to know when you are starting to lose control and to be able to do something about it.

I have been a "problem gambler" all of my adult life  and nowadays have plenty of controls in place which I wish were there when I was younger.A t the same time I would not want to live with no gambling at all so I understand your need to have a bet in a safe way.  Giving up gambling full stop is not for everybody and I feel that the aim is to make sure that it does not affect your life in bad ways.

Stay safe 

Thanks mate that is about as accurate as it gets. That posts suggests you know me better than i know myself and you probably do lol. I think a big help for me is the max stake £2 on fobts which doesn't interest me one bit. I'm not keen on singles so lucky 15's at only treble odds bookies 5/1 or bigger is the plan like yesterday. You're right though i should be sensible enough after all the years and the experience i have. In all honesty the poker did solve the itch and i did that every week for months sensibly. For me it's all about the figure i lose. £75 won't tilt be but £150 or £200 would so i know in my own head what sets me off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groundiskey said:

I have lost silly amounts when in tilt mode and regretted it shortly after.
I have found that taking a break helps, a month or 3. Also reducing deposit limits etc. and when I did return after a break I found I get as much value, value as in entertainment from low stakes, I place 10p eachway lucky 15's costs £3.00. I think for me it's not a great deal of money to lose and is well within my monthly / weekly budget.

thanks for sharing @Kev40 👍

Likewise mate losing silly amounts in the past. With me it was always that thought of shit i didn't want to lose that much i want it back and then tilt mode sets in. I have a figure i don't mind losing and also a figure i can comfortably afford. I think the thing is as well I've always gone to the pub since i was a kid. Every Friday and Saturday and in these last 6 months I've been i think 4 times. Over the 2 nights I'd easy spend £80 or £90 and that's without any poker buy in so financially even if i did a lucky 15 every Saturday and never got a winner I'd still be no worse off than 12 months ago.

• Like 1

@Kev40 it sounds like your just looking for something to look forward to on the weekend as your poker has stopped. You’ve also said you know the limit that will tilt you. I’m no brain box but if you want to do a lucky 15, 63 or whatever just go in the bookies with an amount your willing to lose (that won’t tilt you) put bet on scratch ur balls say thanks have a nice day turn around and walk out. I’ve done the same recently and have gone on tilt and lost far too much so last week I done what I’ve never been able to do before and limit my account. Good luck with it mate and I hope you and yours are well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VillaLad said:

@Kev40 it sounds like your just looking for something to look forward to on the weekend as your poker has stopped. You’ve also said you know the limit that will tilt you. I’m no brain box but if you want to do a lucky 15, 63 or whatever just go in the bookies with an amount your willing to lose (that won’t tilt you) put bet on scratch ur balls say thanks have a nice day turn around and walk out. I’ve done the same recently and have gone on tilt and lost far too much so last week I done what I’ve never been able to do before and limit my account. Good luck with it mate and I hope you and yours are well.

Sorry to hear about the loss mate and thanks for the advice. I do want something to look forward to at the weekend you're right. There's only so much of the missus i can take at the weekend as well 😅. Stay well 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaLad said:

It is always a good idea not to take all your funds into the betting shop with you .  If you take say a hundred and you lose it   even if you want to carry on it means you have to leave to get more money. That break can mean you have time to settle and think and get used to the money lost  then you  are less likely to do the lot which can happen if you are in there with all your money.

This is also why limits on  your online accounts can be effective as well  due to you having to take a time out as you have hit a limit.

I would also recommend a time out of 24hrs if you are planning to drink   so you cannot lose  money drunk

Edited by philinvicta
  • Like 3

Every Saturday I do a lucky 31 . It enables me to relax and watch my horses knowing that if by chance my luck is in —I will have plenty of good high quality treats in the next week . I lay out 6.20 @10p sway ... and just go for 5/1 min odds on all tv races.  Sometimes I vary the stake up to £1 if it’s good racing —  it’s a good way to approach a Saturday .... 

so you could consider this ... 

• Like 2

A stable mind free of worries and cares makes good decisions. 

exercise

good food 

relaxation

limited access to tv / internet

walking in nature 

A quality glass of alcohol

have all helped me —- but good friends helped me most —- so giving and love are your trump card . 

• Like 1

Read your post and others replies, I'm busy dealing with a headache at the mo so not in the mood for writing much but wish you well and there's a lot of good advice here in reponse

• Thanks 1