Sign in to follow this  
howfin

1230 Aberdeen v Rangers

Rangers are hoping to finally sustain a challenge for the Scottish Premiership title this season, especially with Celtic on the verge of winning their tenth successive title. Steven Gerrard’s men need to prevent that happening, but that’s going to take consistency from the off in a tricky opening game. Rangers head to Aberdeen looking to claim three points at the side who have been dethroned as Celtic’s nearest challengers in recent years. That doesn’t mean that Pittodrie is an easy trip for the visitors, it certainly hasn’t turned out that way in recent years.

Rangers have officially launched their new away kit which will be worn for the first time. The Ibrox side will wear the new white and navy strip when they visit Pittodrie to kick-off the new Scottish Premiership campaign. Leaks had emerged on Friday evening of the new shirt, which is white with navy at the top of the sleeves as well as piping of the same colour. The Castore branded shirt has been well received by Rangers fans, who are also set to receive their home shirts which officially went on sale on the official website at the same time the away kit was launched.

Craig Bryson is determined to make up for lost time and to show the Red Army he is not just at Aberdeen to pick up one final pay packet. Bryson, 33, set to start against Rangers today, was a marquee signing from Derby last summer but suffered frustrating ankle problems. Now back to full fitness the former Scotland midfielder said: "It was terrible, that’s the side of it fans don’t see. I saw comments about being here to pick up a wage. I had opportunities to stay down south and financially it would have been far better for me. But I wanted to come back and play for Aberdeen. I’m going to have to have a good season to get some fans back on-side."

Aberdeen star Jonny Hayes admits interested teams had no chance of signing him before he sealed his emotional Aberdeen return. The 33-year-old exited Celtic after three seasons and was chased by a host of clubs including Dundee United and a clutch of English Championship sides. The Republic of Ireland winger was a key utility man under Neil Lennon and played his part in vital wins over Rangers and Lazio last season.

Steven Gerrard is hoping that his players can use a quiet Pittodrie to their advantage. The match will of course be played behind closed doors with Aberdeen denied the backing of their vocal home support. The Ibrox boss is expecting Derek McInnes’ side to be fired right up in any case, and he says he’s prepared for a “fierce challenge”. He also spoke about the impact Leon Balogun has made since joining the club last week and how significant their good pre-season form could be.

• Rangers have won just one of their last six trips to Aberdeen
  • Five of the last six matches between these two at this ground have seen both teams score
  • Aberdeen have kept one clean sheet in their last nine home league games
  • Rangers have scored in each of their last 25 away league games

Betting wise this is a tough one, with Rangers recent form it's easy to see why they are 40/85 and Aberdeen currently around the 6/1 mark. Aberdeen have a knack for fucking over the old firm sides that travel to Pittodrie though. I've really not watched any of Aberdeen's pre season so I have no idea what sort of form they are in, given they crashed at the end of the SPFL last season. I dont think Im going to have much of a stake in this one but it is set up to be an enjoyable game to watch, if they follow the trends of past encounters. Perhaps a decent bet may be the draw, btts and hagi to score, currently around the 25/1 mark, but either way this will be small stakes for me just for added enjoyment.

• Like 1
  • Good Luck! 2
  • Love 1

Purely for the top write up I will also back your bets! Let’s gooo!!

• Good Luck! 1

2 hours ago, Rocknrolla said:

Purely for the top write up I will also back your bets! Let’s gooo!!

Sadly it turned out to be a shite game, good performance from Rangers though off to a good start. Guess it was sort of expected it would be an edgy sort of game.

• Like 1