A Year on GamStop: My Story

RichXTuta

Being able to put GamStop in place shows that you have strength to say that's enough. 

Even though you've been gambling during this GamStop period, at the end, this has been benefical and that what matters most.

I'm glad that you are now in peace with it all. 

If you ever need support and stuff, you know there's always someone to talk to you on here. 

Thank you for sharing. Good luck!

--------

Ps: Is that a possibility that you renew your gamstop period ?

Edited by Antonin
  • Keeemon 1

Hi @RichXTuta

Thanks for sharing your story.

Reading your story makes me think you are probably not ready to remove your Gamstop ban. I say this because you have managed to satisfy you gambling urges with the help of your friend and the high street bookies so you haven't really put your willpower to the test. 

I do hope I'm wrong and you can answer your questions in a positive way and it works out for you.

Good luck moving forward and there are plenty of people here to offer support. 

• Keeemon 1

6 minutes ago, Antonin said:

Being able to put GamStop in place shows that you have strength to say that's enough. 

Even though you've been gambling during this GamStop period, at the end, this has been benefical and that what matters most.

I'm glad that you are now in peace with it all. 

If you ever need support and stuff, you know there's always someone to talk to you on here. 

Thank you for sharing. Good luck!

--------

Ps: Is that a possibility that you renew your gamstop period ?

Thanks for your kind words mate 🙂

It's always possible to put it on again if I felt I got out of control, but I feel a sense of peace in a way I haven't felt for a long time. The biggest difference for me is the sense of acceptance of what I am doing, I never saw gambling as a game I was more likely to win in, but the difficulty I had was in the inability to accept the losses, and so things would continue to spiral. Now I have a mental track of what money I could afford to lose, and that the decisions I make are based on that budget.

Just now, Jok3st3r said:

Hi @RichXTuta

Thanks for sharing your story.

Reading your story makes me think you are probably not ready to remove your Gamstop ban. I say this because you have managed to satisfy you gambling urges with the help of your friend and the high street bookies so you haven't really put your willpower to the test. 

I do hope I'm wrong and you can answer your questions in a positive way and it works out for you.

Good luck moving forward and there are plenty of people here to offer support. 

Thanks Jok3st3r - I can understand why you would say that, but it's been a solid three months without gambling of any kind, shape or form now, and that was the peace I needed to come to terms with what I had been doing previously. I can only say that my mind is in a different place, but I am always willing to take whatever measures are necessary if I found that I lost control of what I was doing again.

Thanks for your kind words. 🙂

• Keeemon 1

3 minutes ago, RichXTuta said:

Thanks Jok3st3r - I can understand why you would say that, but it's been a solid three months without gambling of any kind, shape or form now, and that was the peace I needed to come to terms with what I had been doing previously. I can only say that my mind is in a different place, but I am always willing to take whatever measures are necessary if I found that I lost control of what I was doing again.

Thanks for your kind words. 🙂

An obvious point to make but I will anyway.

The last three months probably has to be the easiest 3 months for anyone on Gamstop, no bookies, no sport, no online (apart from the dodgy ones)

Could be a help, in the way people give up smoking when they been diagnosed with a terrible illness (bad analogy, first I thought if lol) or no help at all because once able to gamble again it may just present urges out of your control. (Bit extreme I know, just trying to make a point) 

I truly hope you are in right mind set, you certainly sound like you are. 😃

1 minute ago, Jok3st3r said:

An obvious point to make but I will anyway.

The last three months probably has to be the easiest 3 months for anyone on Gamstop, no bookies, no sport, no online (apart from the dodgy ones)

Could be a help, in the way people give up smoking when they been diagnosed with a terrible illness (bad analogy, first I thought if lol) or no help at all because once able to gamble again it may just present urges out of your control. (Bit extreme I know, just trying to make a point) 

I truly hope you are in right mind set, you certainly sound like you are. 😃

Bizarrely when things reached the lockdown stage it was almost like some kind of silence in the world for me, I used to obsess over the sports betting side of things - plotting and planning and whatnot, and when I was in a position where it was absolutely impossible for me to be involved, it was strange, I've always found great fun in that side of things, but the break definitely helped me overall.

That's a fair point - it will be interesting to see how things go - as it stands I'm in no rush and it's a bit like a 'woah, I'm going to be allowed to log in online'?? It will be unusual and I will have to see how I feel. I will appreciate the idea that in the same way as when a person reaches the legal age of something they receive the right to make their own adult decisions, and this is one which will be re-bestowed upon me in a way, at least legitimately on my own - I think that gives me some sense of recovery and validation. (Of course I would never say that's right for everyone depending on their own mindset)

• Keeemon 1

I kind of share the same feeling as Jok3r. 

As ex-addict, all the good resolutions goes down the drain when we are gambling and you know that mate. 

As soon you will be able to gamble without any blocks you'll be tempted to test the waters.

If you don't want to quit that could problem because if you don't control yourself it can go wrong very quickly.

Of course, everyone's diffent as some people can handle gambling by setting limits succefully because they have changed their mindset. That may be your case.

As you just say. It will be interesting to see how the things will go... 

Keep us posted!

• Keeemon 1

Just now, Antonin said:

I kind of share the same feeling as Jok3r. 

As ex-addict, all the good resolutions goes down the drain when we are gambling and you know that mate. 

As soon you will be able to gamble without any blocks you'll be tempted to test the waters.

If you don't want to quit that could problem because if you don't control yourself it can go wrong very quickly.

Of course, everyone's diffent as some people can handle gambling by setting limits succefully because they have changed their mindset. That may be your case.

As you just say. It will be interesting to see how the things will go... 

Keep us posted!

Yeah I definitely have that in mind - it will be unusual, but I would genuinely be shocked if I suddenly totally reverted back, but there is always the possibility of going back on GamStop or using other responsible gambling tools. I think even at my absolute worst points I would pause after something significant had happened, and it would really shock me if without warning I suddenly plumbed the depths - I'm 100% confident at least that wouldn't happen.

13 minutes ago, RichXTuta said:

Yeah I definitely have that in mind - it will be unusual, but I would genuinely be shocked if I suddenly totally reverted back, but there is always the possibility of going back on GamStop or using other responsible gambling tools. I think even at my absolute worst points I would pause after something significant had happened, and it would really shock me if without warning I suddenly plumbed the depths - I'm 100% confident at least that wouldn't happen.

Fair enough. If I was you I would extend the GamStop one hundred pourcent but that's your choice and I respect it.

As you, gambling was a powerful drug to me. 

I didn't know it was possible not to gamble. I'd love to gamble but I can't do it. 

Even now, I'd love to place bets on roulette but unfortunately I can't because I'm an compulsive gambler who can't control himself.

I wish you a very best of luck with your gambling and whatever it happen come back to us sharing a bit more of it all.

Edited by Antonin
  • Keeemon 2

@RichXTuta thanks for sharing your story.

The first thing that resonated with me was that you said you were in lifetime profit and haven't gambled beyond your means.

That's not the usual MO for a compulsive gambler, but I don't want to second guess how you feel.

Both myself and Antonin are ex gamblers so we understand and would say that the early days of not gambling are the worst and when you have the biggest urges. A year on the urges pass and for me doesn't particularly pray on my mind anymore.

You seem to have an element of control and know when to stop which is essential for any gambler.

Obviously take a lot of thought as to how you continue and would be good to hear more from you on the forum

• Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@RichXTuta thanks for sharing your story.

The first thing that resonated with me was that you said you were in lifetime profit and haven't gambled beyond your means.

That's not the usual MO for a compulsive gambler, but I don't want to second guess how you feel.

Both myself and Antonin are ex gamblers so we understand and would say that the early days of not gambling are the worst and when you have the biggest urges. A year on the urges pass and for me doesn't particularly pray on my mind anymore.

You seem to have an element of control and know when to stop which is essential for any gambler.

Obviously take a lot of thought as to how you continue and would be good to hear more from you on the forum

Happy to do so dude, congrats on staying gamble free.

Yeah personally I've found that time is a great healer, and perhaps the virus and lockdown were the final piece of the puzzle I needed. As I wrote up there, for a very long time I was virtually not into gambling in a big way at all, for years and years on end, even when I really got into the sports betting it was very low stakes, and it only escalated in the last 6-12 months, before I knew I had to step away.

The control is definitely something which recent times has given me, and a sense of peace which I sorely lacked.

I'll try to dude - just I only really want to post on something if I feel I have anything particularly of interest to add haha, which a lot of times I don't - but thanks. 🙂

• Keeemon 2

1 minute ago, Jok3st3r said:

@RichXTuta in all fairness it sounds like you know exactly where your at and how to control it.

It's good to have this thread, keep you motivated and remind you of the not so great moments, not that you would forget about them. Sometimes it's more real when it written down, if that makes sense 🙂👍

Yeah and the thing was that even 6 months into my ban - I wouldn't say I had made any personal progress whatsoever, I saw it as an irritation to slow me down rather than actually change my mindset and start moving on. If I was like I felt then, I would never have had the balls to admit the things that I went through during that time.

Yeah I will do - it will be interesting to see what I actually do when I get the ban lifted, I can't say I'm particularly jumping or dying to play anything, it honestly feels weird the idea of even pressing a deposit button these days, but I know the money I can possibly spend (not that obviously you ever sit there and say - yeah that'll be what I'll piss away), so I'll have to manage my budget accordingly.

On 10/06/2020 at 15:42, RichXTuta said:

Yeah and the thing was that even 6 months into my ban - I wouldn't say I had made any personal progress whatsoever, I saw it as an irritation to slow me down rather than actually change my mindset and start moving on. If I was like I felt then, I would never have had the balls to admit the things that I went through during that time.

Yeah I will do - it will be interesting to see what I actually do when I get the ban lifted, I can't say I'm particularly jumping or dying to play anything, it honestly feels weird the idea of even pressing a deposit button these days, but I know the money I can possibly spend (not that obviously you ever sit there and say - yeah that'll be what I'll piss away), so I'll have to manage my budget accordingly.

When choice is taken away we look inside for some inner peace and conclusion, it is how the mind functions. Acceptance.

Just be extra careful that when your exclusion period ends why you reached that point to begin with.

If you return to gambling can you trust yourself?

Keep all this in mind and as the end of that exclusion draws near... Stop and think.

Edited by Guest

@RichXTuta Ok I have read the whole thread.

Your story is unusual ......for not many gamblers have the restraint to marginalise loss over such a long period . However I urge CAUTION>>>> for you are in perilous waters now ....

1. You still want to gamble.

2 You have circumvented your original decision with a friends assistance.

3. You erroneously believe you can take it or leave it..... 

Without the lockdown you would have been in real trouble and now it is only your honesty that may save you from complete surrender to your inner voice that wants to resume risk at all costs. 

YOU MUST NOT RESCIND GAMSTOP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES !!!!!

please take this advice ,I am not in ant way critical of your past history , but it streams control .....and that you believe you have it ......and I am telling you ---- YOU DONT !!!

• 1 month later...