Sign in to follow this  
McSplooger

Help needed!

Alright fudgers. 

Hope everyone is well. 

Although I'm officially retired from being a gambling dickhead and all TGC trolling activities I do need some help from you lovely people if you have a minute/idea. 

I'm currently a 'mature' student and have been given an opportunity in the next few months to talk to people about problem gambling on site with these talks specifically being aimed at younger people. There was mentions of having some kind of society too but honestly I feel its a waste because what young person wants to go to anti gambling club. I'm guessing the general idea is to have a present at events there and giving guidance to anyone who needs/asks for it outside of that. 

The favour I ask is a simple one, I'm just looking for advice you would give younger people regarding gambling. Obviously, I have my own ideas regarding this and had many troubles as a youth but it never hurts to get opinions from others I can pass on. Maybe you were a complete tosser like me and you would of stopped or done things differently if something was said to you. I'm looking for any input really if you have any, whether you have a problem past of present. Maybe you have a good way of managing money and gambling and have advice to keep yourself from doing your balls in. 

I must also add, I won't be paid for this. The university wishes to collaborate with a gaming charity and an application has been put in for a 'paid' position but even if this comes to fruition I will be refusing any payment. I'm only making this clear as I don't want people to think I'm doing it for self gain. I only offered up for this 'role' because someone put me forward for it and I figured I could help out. 

Anyway, hope you're all good. This is not a miller comeback style post by the way. I'm taking any info I get off you and buffering off back to the gambling wilderness. Much love. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

@McSplooger good to hear from you mate.

I gambled from an early age so thinking back it would have been better to distance myself from other people who gambled as they could be very influential.

I wish I had focused on other things such as travel and experiences. I missed out on all this due to gambling.

It's imperative for a younger person to have a focus in life and not to get dragged into a downward spiral.

Hobbies, girlfriends/boyfriends. Focus on that and not what number is going to hit next and what is due.

Life doesn't revolve around gambling. There is so much more to experience and not to miss out on. Don't throw your life away 

I would say something like that

• Love 4

Someone edit my post please. I have put buffering instead of buggering. I use buggering a lot too as I do a lot of it so this is very confusing how autocorrect would ever think it needed to be changed. 

10 minutes ago, McSplooger said:

Alright fudgers. 

Hope everyone is well. 

Although I'm officially retired from being a gambling dickhead and all TGC trolling activities I do need some help from you lovely people if you have a minute/idea. 

I'm currently a 'mature' student and have been given an opportunity in the next few months to talk to people about problem gambling on site with these talks specifically being aimed at younger people. There was mentions of having some kind of society too but honestly I feel its a waste because what young person wants to go to anti gambling club. I'm guessing the general idea is to have a present at events there and giving guidance to anyone who needs/asks for it outside of that. 

The favour I ask is a simple one, I'm just looking for advice you would give younger people regarding gambling. Obviously, I have my own ideas regarding this and had many troubles as a youth but it never hurts to get opinions from others I can pass on. Maybe you were a complete tosser like me and you would of stopped or done things differently if something was said to you. I'm looking for any input really if you have any, whether you have a problem past of present. Maybe you have a good way of managing money and gambling and have advice to keep yourself from doing your balls in. 

I must also add, I won't be paid for this. The university wishes to collaborate with a gaming charity and an application has been put in for a 'paid' position but even if this comes to fruition I will be refusing any payment. I'm only making this clear as I don't want people to think I'm doing it for self gain. I only offered up for this 'role' because someone put me forward for it and I figured I could help out. 

Anyway, hope you're all good. This is not a miller comeback style post by the way. I'm taking any info I get off you and buffering off back to the gambling wilderness. Much love. 

It’s a great thing ur doing there pal! Wish to God they had things like that when I was growing up, it maybe could have took me on a different path where I didn’t lie my way through life.

Are you looking for a brief example of how gambling affected us? The damage caused, regrets etc...?

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@McSplooger good to hear from you mate.

I gambled from an early age so thinking back it would have been better to distance myself from other people who gambled as they could be very influential.

I wish I had focused on other things such as travel and experiences. I missed out on all this due to gambling.

It's imperative for a younger person to have a focus in life and not to get dragged into a downward spiral.

Hobbies, girlfriends/boyfriends. Focus on that and not what number is going to hit next and what is due.

Life doesn't revolve around gambling. There is so much more to experience and not to miss out on. Don't throw your life away 

I would say something like that

Great advice david. Hope you're well too mate! 

I guess there's a lot more to do and a lot more opportunity for people of a certain age as you've said so that's a good one. I too missed out on a lot due to my gambling.

Much appreciated! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacko said:

It’s a great thing ur doing there pal! Wish to God they had things like that when I was growing up, it maybe could have took me on a different path where I didn’t lie my way through life.

Are you looking for a brief example of how gambling affected us? The damage caused, regrets etc...?

Thanks a lot mate, hope you're good. 

I guess maybe advice you would give your younger self would be cool. I'm assuming the demographic I shall be speaking to will be either those with both a gambling problem and those who may be at risk. I won't be shoving anything down anyone's throat to non gamblers so they would at least be curious to approach me in the first place. 

Cheers! 

3 minutes ago, McSplooger said:

Thanks a lot mate, hope you're good. 

I guess maybe advice you would give your younger self would be cool. I'm assuming the demographic I shall be speaking to will be either those with both a gambling problem and those who may be at risk. I won't be shoving anything down anyone's throat to non gamblers so they would at least be curious to approach me in the first place. 

Cheers! 

Will give it good thought lad. Will say this though, the message of the moment up and down the UK is to take time to talk about problems, wish I had spoken to my Dad all those years back to take my finances off my hands.

• Love 1

@McSplooger you will be amazing at this, I have no doubt you will help many people. 

Good luck my friend 

• Love 1

Good luck with this McSplooger, 

My reply might be a bit controversial but in all honesty I wouldnt change or advise anything but I will explain why. 

1. When I was younger, I wanted to fight the world and generally didnt listen to what anyone told me. If someone had tried to advise me on gambling issues I would have ignored them and just cracked on regardless

2. Although I was a degenerate gambler and in a very dark place, I can honestly say I wouldn't change any of it. The reason for this is because the darker shittier times I went through have helped me to focus more on what I want to get out of life. I am settled now, am happy and dont worry about money as much. My appreciation of finances/work/life balance and my general outlook on life has come from 2 main contributing factors; my time in the army and the fact I gambled away everything I had and had to start from scratch. It was a tough learning curve having to rebuild everything and it took a lot of time, but I wouldnt change that as it makes me the person I am today. 

Hope this makes sense!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

@McSplooger  I have a lot of experience in this area given that young people those in particular are from the vulnerable group.

I will try and send some extensive information to you over the coming days.

The most vulnerable group are young people who gamble as a form of escapism. 

A high number are being used this way to hand over bank details etc. It is a form of exploitation we see rising.

Statistically from more impoverished backgrounds and trauma. Though there are those on the other end of the spectrum who get caught in the headlights of hedonism.

Talking to groups as you are you have an audience and given your historical experience you are one of the best people to be giving this advice as they will listen to you.

You have life experience and your not some other silver spoon who hasn't go a clue! That is crucial in supporting young people

Edited by Cheryl T
  • Love 1

@McSplooger you sexy mofo where the hell you been I missed you 😭😭😭😭. Hope your doing ok treacle. Xx

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

My reply might be a bit controversial but in all honesty I wouldnt change or advise anything but I will explain why. 

1. When I was younger, I wanted to fight the world and generally didnt listen to what anyone told me. If someone had tried to advise me on gambling issues I would have ignored them and just cracked on regardless

2. Although I was a degenerate gambler and in a very dark place, I can honestly say I wouldn't change any of it. The reason for this is because the darker shittier times I went through have helped me to focus more on what I want to get out of life. I am settled now, am happy and dont worry about money as much. My appreciation of finances/work/life balance and my general outlook on life has come from 2 main contributing factors; my time in the army and the fact I gambled away everything I had and had to start from scratch. It was a tough learning curve having to rebuild everything and it took a lot of time, but I wouldnt change that as it makes me the person I am today. 

Hope this makes sense!

I absolutely love this. Fair play with your honesty. X

• Like 1

@andywilliams1187 I do understand what you are saying.

But personally I would have preferred not to have been in that situation. Unfortunately a lot of the time its too late to change things for the better and turn your life around

• Love 1

Ok I'm only doing this as it's you as really I've never ever disclosed any of my story from gambling in here. But I'll try keep it short without disclosing too much.

I have what's called a addictive personality so once I've started something I get addicted very quickly and find it difficult to stop. I've always gambled and have done since I left school but I kinda went backwards I actually started off on fruit machines then in the end I got very addicted to poker now that may sound mental but at the time was very serious. I was at a stage where I was chasing all my losses from the previous day and literally played every single tournament available. I then moved onto playing cash and then turned very bad very quickly. I can hand in heart say nothing caused me to do this I wasn't lonely I wasn't looking for any escapism in fact I was in the prime of my life. I had a great job, great social life, a partner and my own house. But I guess I realised at some point that things weren't right. Like I would come home from work and turn Ladbrokes on as soon as I got in after doing a 12 hour shift. So I guess I just took a step back and stopped. It was very very difficult and I even sold my computer to take away the urge. (At the time you couldn't play on your phone lol) basically done everything I had to just to stop. And in the end I just did. I still play now but maybe twice a year and these are live events not online. It was definitely a life experience for me but luckily I see the signs and done what was necessary. So this is very brief but I hope in some way helps that not everyones addiction stems from a certain thing it sometimes just happens. 

I will state now days is alot different I think gambling is mainly aimed at the younger generation and very appealing to them. Which makes me sad if I'm honest. it's very glorified now when back in the day it wasn't really should I say thrown in your face. Allot of young people round here where I live all use my local corals as some sort of meet up point and there's literally no space on the machines as their all taken by bill and his mates(his name's not bill by the way). This absolutely breaks my heart but can't really say anything as I used to do the exact same apart from we used to meet at the pub and play the fruities and not the bookies. I really wish I could tell them how much gambling can ruin people's lives and in a very short space of time but I'll probably get either laughed at or told to piss off or maybe even both.

Hope this helps in some way.

Take care treacle.

Xx

• Love 4

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@andywilliams1187 I do understand what you are saying.

But personally I would have preferred not to have been in that situation. Unfortunately a lot of the time its too late to change things for the better and turn your life around

I get what you are saying 100% mate. I know that for a lot of people its to late to change things around. 

I think I just consider myself lucky (which is ironic as I wasnt when gambling) but I do believe that if I had not gone through what I did, I would not be in the position I am in today. I have a lot of respect for McSplooger and what they are trying to accomplish and I do think it is a worthy cause. But I know I wouldnt have listened back then as I had a completley different attitude and thought that I knew best (which I didnt lol). 

I have tried to help people in the past and will continue to do so going forward and I get really frustrated at times as I see in some people what I was like.

Edited by andywilliams1187
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

I get what you are saying 100% mate. I know that for a lot of people its to late to change things around. 

I think I just consider myself lucky (which is ironic as I wasnt when gambling) but I do believe that if I had not gone through what I did, I would not be in the position I am in today. I have a lot of respect for McSplooger and what they are trying to accomplish and I do think it is a worthy cause. But I know I wouldnt have listened back then as I had a completley different attitude and thought that I knew best (which I didnt lol). 

I have tried to help people in the past and will continue to do so going forward and I get really frustrated at times as I see in some people what I was like.

We all think we know best when we're younger. It's all part of growing up.

Sometimes adversity is the making of someone, sometimes it isn't 

We're all different

• Agree 2
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, andywilliams1187 said:

Hope this makes sense!

Hi Andy, thanks for the response. 

I actually agree with you so not controversial at all. The moat difficult part will be trying to get through to someone. That isn't really limited to young people either. At my worst there was nothing anyone could of said to make me stop. 

Having said that, people who approached me in my younger years were usually paid to do so or didn't even gamble themselves. I am hoping that the relatable factor will play a part, being a fellow student and not some dickhead in a suit getting paid with no real understanding of hardship may help. 

I'm not going to be giving anyone of a lecture. I'm there if they need help or even for someone to talk to discreetly I guess. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cheryl T said:

@McSplooger  I have a lot of experience in this area given that young people those in particular are from the vulnerable group.

I will try and send some extensive information to you over the coming days.

The most vulnerable group are young people who gamble as a form of escapism. 

A high number are being used this way to hand over bank details etc. It is a form of exploitation we see rising.

Statistically from more impoverished backgrounds and trauma. Though there are those on the other end of the spectrum who get caught in the headlights of hedonism.

Talking to groups as you are you have an audience and given your historical experience you are one of the best people to be giving this advice as they will listen to you.

You have life experience and your not some other silver spoon who hasn't go a clue! That is crucial in supporting young people

You seem to have much more knowledge about this than me Cheryl. If you get time then drop me a message if you can. Really appreciate it! 

22 minutes ago, Kinkerbells said:

Ok I'm only doing this as it's you as really I've never ever disclosed any of my story from gambling in here. But I'll try keep it short without disclosing too much.

I have what's called a addictive personality so once I've started something I get addicted very quickly and find it difficult to stop. I've always gambled and have done since I left school but I kinda went backwards I actually started off on fruit machines then in the end I got very addicted to poker now that may sound mental but at the time was very serious. I was at a stage where I was chasing all my losses from the previous day and literally played every single tournament available. I then moved onto playing cash and then turned very bad very quickly. I can hand in heart say nothing caused me to do this I wasn't lonely I wasn't looking for any escapism in fact I was in the prime of my life. I had a great job, great social life, a partner and my own house. But I guess I realised at some point that things weren't right. Like I would come home from work and turn Ladbrokes on as soon as I got in after doing a 12 hour shift. So I guess I just took a step back and stopped. It was very very difficult and I even sold my computer to take away the urge. (At the time you couldn't play on your phone lol) basically done everything I had to just to stop. And in the end I just did. I still play now but maybe twice a year and these are live events not online. It was definitely a life experience for me but luckily I see the signs and done what was necessary. So this is very brief but I hope in some way helps that not everyones addiction stems from a certain thing it sometimes just happens. 

I will state now days is alot different I think gambling is mainly aimed at the younger generation and very appealing to them. Which makes me sad if I'm honest. it's very glorified now when back in the day it wasn't really should I say thrown in your face. Allot of young people round here where I live all use my local corals as some sort of meet up point and there's literally no space on the machines as their all taken by bill and his mates(his name's not bill by the way). This absolutely breaks my heart but can't really say anything as I used to do the exact same apart from we used to meet at the pub and play the fruities and not the bookies. I really wish I could tell them how much gambling can ruin people's lives and in a very short space of time but I'll probably get either laughed at or told to piss off or maybe even both.

Hope this helps in some way.

Take care treacle.

Xx

Hey you. 

That for sharing your story kinks. Appreciate it! I didn't even know you had a problem with gambling before. I guess in some cases it can make you a better person for it which is what has happened with you I guess so its a big learning curve in life. I hear when you're saying though, there doesn't have to be any event that triggers someone to gamble excessively. Addicts don't particularly have have set group with as all walks of life can go through it. 

Glad you've curbed your addiction now though and you're in a better place. I'm expecting some people to tell me to piss off don't worry, people do that to me anyway so it makes no difference to me 😂 

Thanks again! 

• Love 1

Hopefully 

they will never see gambling as a way to make a quick buck or two

or

Using gambling too hide some kind pain away 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@McSplooger   I will write a long essay for you over the week end of my gambling life if you feel it would help. From gambling in school (penny up the wall  and black jack schools at breaks)  through slot machines in pubs and arcades as a teenager to escape homelife -through my adult life and the basic damage it can cause.  If you feel this will be of use to you convincing these kids  that gambling is not clever  just tell me what information you would like.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think a whole new generation of problem gamblers are coming in the next decade or so. There’s plenty now but the advertising and the way it’s rammed down the youths throat is crazy. Hopefully what you are embarking on helps anyone affected 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

@McSplooger   I will write a long essay for you over the week end of my gambling life if you feel it would help. From gambling in school (penny up the wall  and black jack schools at breaks)  through slot machines in pubs and arcades as a teenager to escape homelife -through my adult life and the basic damage it can cause.  If you feel this will be of use to you convincing these kids  that gambling is not clever  just tell me what information you would like.

Hey, thanks a lot for your help. 

Its more to do with what advice we would give our younger selves if that makes sense. Do you think you could of said anything to a younger you to change your ways a bit? For sure anything will help though, its good to hear others experiences and relay that back to the youth. 

Appreciate your time man! 

50 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

I think a whole new generation of problem gamblers are coming in the next decade or so. There’s plenty now but the advertising and the way it’s rammed down the youths throat is crazy. Hopefully what you are embarking on helps anyone affected 

This is very true. Things have changed dramatically since I was young. Gambling habits have changed too, horse racing is probably out of favour and slots/football has taken over in terms of younger gamblers. Thanks man

@McSplooger did my comment actually help lol I just re read your question and I think I read it wrong lol