Hopefully helps someone

Pokercade

Gonna have to say this is not the truth.

Have been through this personally massive gambler and even bigger drinker for last 20 plus years. Highly functioning alcoholic to say the least.

This new year it took a massive downward spiral health issues and i pushed everyone away talking large family and friends network. Drinking 1.5 litre vodka and cider daily with no side effects nae hangover getting up daily getting stuff done.

Pushed everyone away then tried end it so they didnt have to deal with it drank to the max then popped 24 paracetomal and another 8 dissovable cocoadamol had for back pain basically everything in the house Fri 4th jan.

Family member got me end of session and called ambulance got took hospital and basically told they couldnt forced me to get the treatment for the paracetomal palamax mar cant remember the name was so far gone. I had to volintary take the treatment which i did. Im no slim so probably only reason could handle it.

Spent two days in hospital then left went to my gp for help for drinking was told keep drinking due to my levels got refered to aidars scots might know this name. told two week waiting list for a suicidal alcoholic to be told this was a good waiting time. First appointment they literally just give you a leaflet to fill in. There is no help when you actually need it as people wait to long to ask for it.

If anyone has any bad thoughts or concerns go seek the help now cause time you admit it you wont get it in time. The nhs is struggling and cant cope when needed. I had a go at a few people last week for their banter but unless youd been here for a while they might not have understood and pushed over the edge.

David im no aiming this at you just found first post i thought coulda tagged in. Im happy to answer any questions regarding my side of this cause if i can help someone like me that shoulda seeked help earlier then why not.Will post this elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sad story mate and your a very brave guy for telling your story and all we can do as long term addicts mine being gambling is try and educate the younger people so hopefully they can learn from our mistakes.

How do you feel in yourself now?

If ever you need to speak to someone at anytime day or night give me a message mate, sometimes it’s good to talk to a stranger, one that understands addiction.

Keep plodding on no matter how hard it gets don’t give up on yourself❤️❤️

• Keeemon 3

Had so many strangers offered at end of phone lines they really dont help me when you get to that point your past it. Just hoping someone can relate to some of it and maybe make that call earlier. Im actually just numb and have a lot of people trying help but they cant cause they not got a clue.

Gave up on myself a while ago If anyone reads and relates to any of this in the slightest go ask help. The time anyone acknowledges you had issue it will have been to late. Losing some money you can go easily go back from. But it probaly the start if you could just admitted it there woulda saved all the other stuff after.

7 minutes ago, Pokercade said:

Had so many strangers offered at end of phone lines they really dont help me when you get to that point your past it. Just hoping someone can relate to some of it and maybe make that call earlier. Im actually just numb and have a lot of people trying help but they cant cause they not got a clue.

Mate it’s never too late trust me, your making your call NOW and by the fact your still trying to help others out speaks volumes about who you are.

Your a scotch lad I take it and it’s in OUR genes to never give in, never stop fighting.

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

7 minutes ago, Pokercade said:

Gave up on myself a while ago If anyone reads and relates to any of this in the slightest go ask help. The time anyone acknowledges you had issue it will have been to late. Losing some money you can go easily go back from. But it probaly the start if you could just admitted it there woulda saved all the other stuff after.

One of my best mates, like a brother to me is a alcoholic who I’ve helped to overcome his addiction, he’s in his early 50’s now with a little girl of 3.

• Keeemon 1

Im going through all the channels asking all the help with a big network kids wife siblings full works asking all help going as past point of return. What im trying say and the gps and councillors say is once you ask for help it usually takes to long when folk ask. Dunno if it makes sence. I didnt need post this here but if could help someone maybe it would as you really need go ask straight away. Ive never asked for help with gambling but know a few who have in past but there not much their cause it kinda deemed mental rather than medical. But push it if you can.

• Keeemon 1

36 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Brave post and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you receive plenty of support here.

Np nicola cheers for welcome i apperared 3 days after you a couple years ago i just da post much ? Hacko 1 been chatting me much appreciated aff for a sleep now.

Pokercade I don't know what you go through but let's say I know how your relatives/loved ones feel. 

I do have a chink of light for you though. I know a guy who was an alcoholic for years and when I say alcoholic, I mean the type sleeping rough and drinking on Park benches all days. 

Cut a long story short, he quit 3 years ago and hasn't touched a drop since. He has a stable job and hes now got a relationship with his family. 

It can be done champ. 

• Keeemon 2

Having battled many many addictions in my life, the only one I have never had to battle is Drink, for the reason many of my friends (that are still alive) got off the gear, and then turned to Alcohol, just replacing one addiction to another (which I did as well but not drink) 

Why?

Well drink is a "similar" feeling to the gear, and of course you have the problem and its a big problem, that drink is sociably acceptable, we could go now to a Supermarket, grab a trolley each and fill up with bottles and bottles and crates of alcohol, and nobody would bat an eye lid, try walking down the street with a joint or such.

The simple fact that you have posted your story on here, shows me that you have reached a cross roads, and many many people on here have experienced such things and will be there to lend an ear. 

Ultimately is up to you if you grab the olive branch, and of course it's down to you to stop, History doesn't have to repeat itself, and it's never to late to change. 

@Hacko is correct it is indeed sometimes far easy to talk about stuff to a "stranger" than it is a "real" person in front. 

There maybe issues in your past that have shaped the way you are today, and from experience those however long they were need addressing in my opinion.

There is help lots of it out there and it's very easy to dismiss it, but a thing that works for one doesn't work for another so it's a matter of trying to see what works for you, have you heard of Naltrexone or Disulfiram? If not these are very good and once you have got the handle on your drinking there are various things that you can take, to help with withdrawals etc. 

Seeing as you have drunk for so long it probably is recommended not to stop straightway as this can have detrimental effects, on your body.

Remember even the longest journey starts with one step.

I'm always about if you need a shoulder to cry on, to shout at or just get another person's opinion.

Good luck and you can do it I am living testament to that.

Edited by adamuk
  • Keeemon 4