Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

From now on it will be called the barcrest vaccine champ ha

Everything can be compared to gambling mate. I was watching a music quiz at the weekend and said to the missus you know what song that is ? She said no and i said that's the music when you get the feature on the old monopoly deluxe £6 jackpot back in the 90's.

• Love 1
  • Keeemon 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

I've been informed that there has been an outbreak at my works ,which a few testing positive. I've booked a test but am very worried. 

I'm pissed off about the younger ones because they have just gone about there life like it doesn't exist 

Hope all is ok mate. 

14 minutes ago, Player1173 said:

Yes it looks like that's going to be the case, alert level 5. This damn situation isn't going to improve for many weeks to come unfortunately. 

41 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Boris on TV at 8 tonight.

Assuming that will be lockdown or close to

I am in Ireland as many people will know and we have gone onto lockdown at our highest level and there is talk of restricting peoples movements unless for essential reasons down to 2km  from the current 5km.   We had a lockdown in November and to give an example of how things can move - on the 4th of December the 14 day rate was at 78.3 cases per 100k   of population.  Everything was opened up for christmas  except pubs (wet pubs in Ireland have now been shut for about 9or 10 months) and  a lot of people  were hearing about the vaccine roll out and so decided to ignore the max 3 household rule and met up for large family dinners as well as doing lots of shopping.

In my county of Galway  there were a total of 127 cases in the previous 14 days on 4th December  and over the last few days there have been more than that for each day.   There has been testing for the "UK variant"   and there a very few cases and so it has not been responsible for more spread  just the number of social contacts people had.   Close contacts are now up to over 6 for each person and the whole system has broken down and is unable to record the cases and people who are close contacts are not being automatically tested as there are not enough spaces for them.   If the more contagious version arrives then things could get well out of hand.

Around 4th December Ireland was reporting around 200 cases a day which was equivalent to about 3k cases in the UK.   Yesterday there was 5k  cases which is equivalent  to about 75k cases in the UK.  There are also a backlog of around 9k positive cases from the last week that have not been reported in the official figures yet.  Today it is expected to be 6-7k reported cases.

Wexford at that time had a rate of 18.7 cases per 100k population and yesterday the rate was 487  with one particular area in that county now at nearly 1k per 100k.

I can see this lockdown lasting for many weeks. 

Hospital numbers are climbing rapidly  and they are now stopping all non essential procedures again.  At the worst in the first wave about 880 were hospitalised and we are now in the mid 700s with about a hundred a day going in. There is talk that by the end of Feb it could be as high as 2500 if people do not help bring the R rate back down.

• Keeemon 3

2 hours ago, Miller26 said:

Very factual and informative post there @philinvicta .I've not had any contact with anyone over Christmas but its pretty pointless when most have treated it like a normal Christmas. 

I had a decent lock in the other day with some less than desirable chicks. Think I’ve got Rona and my test arrives tomorrow - stay at home folks 

• Facepalm! 1
  • Love 1

I find it interesting how polarising and politicised this outbreak has become. I have worked in research science for over 20 years, I may soon be working in a covid testing lab and have been fortunate enough to hear first hand the opinions of very respected scientists. Every one I have spoken to has pretty much had the same opinion. It is not dangerous to most people but it is to some so it is all about reduction of transmission being the ultimate objective. This is because if everyone gets unwell at the same time the resources are not there to deal with it. I think the media are fuelling division using the subject and the politicians are certainly not helping. I have personally been affected greatly by the situation and decisions the government have made. I just wish they were more consistent in following the scientific advice. 

• Keeemon 1

Guest Chair Slots

Pretty annoying that I've had the virus which means I'm basically immune but I have to stay at home.

The government have everyone's test results on their database. How hard can it be to give police that information and if they pull you over or whatever during lockdown and they run your details and find out you've already had the virus you're free to go? The technology is already there!!

It was fuck all anyway. I felt a bit tired and had a mild cough. I worked every day while I had it for fuck sake. I know it's not like that for everybody but they are the ones that should be locked down ffs.

/rant

1 minute ago, salfordlad said:

I find it interesting how polarising and politicised this outbreak has become. I have worked in research science for over 20 years, I may soon be working in a covid testing lab and have been fortunate enough to hear first hand the opinions of very respected scientists. Every one I have spoken to has pretty much had the same opinion. It is not dangerous to most people but it is to some so it is all about reduction of transmission being the ultimate objective. This is because if everyone gets unwell at the same time the resources are not there to deal with it. I think the media are fuelling division using the subject and the politicians are certainly not helping. I have personally been affected greatly by the situation and decisions the government have made. I just wish they were more consistent in following the scientific advice. 

At the start it was supposed to flatten the curve and protect the health services so they could still do their job.  Now despite everything it looks like in the next month they are likely to become overwhelmed with patients due to the huge numbers that have become infected.