Coronavirus

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting stat from the Dr John Campbell  youtube channel was the median age of people who caught covid in Australia was 37   yet they  median age of people who died from covid was 86.  This is the same as in Ireland as  the median age of people who have died is well into the 80s despite the latest increase   in cases  being amongst the younger generation.  the problem is it has got in to nursing homes here again and so it will mean the number of deaths will increase.

It does seem to me that the reactions of health officials and governments is wrong  and that they really should just go back to cocooning  the elder population and vulnerable.  Let the younger people just go on about their business without too many restrictions.  Even at Universities it would seem they might just as well let the students attend lectures and set it up so that the lecturers can teach remotely via video link if they are older.  At least it would be better for young peoples mental health  if they are allowed to get together.  

It is getting to the stage where I think the population need to get used to living with covid being present.  It is said that covid is three times as deadly as flu but people never really batted an eyelid about it being flu season.

In Ireland the medical advisers (NEPHET)  are pushing for a full lockdown (level 5)  this was a jump from level 2   with a couple of places like Dublin on Level 3.  The government rejected this and went for Level 3 nationwide.   I would expect that by school half term they will mover to level 4  due to rising cases.

• Keeemon 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, david1111 said:

What lockdown?

No change to the amount of traffic and people around where I am this morning

Just said same thing it was the same round town this morning. M62 is dead though. Lorries and vans that's pretty much it.

5 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

Just said same thing it was the same round town this morning. M62 is dead though. Lorries and vans that's pretty much it.

I think a few businesses are using loopholes to continue trading such as online order and collect.

Can't blame them, it's their livelihood

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

I think a few businesses are using loopholes to continue trading such as online order and collect.

Can't blame them, it's their livelihood

Probably mate. I know I'm doing what needs to be done. It'll be interesting to see what it's like round Manchester. There's no wonder it's been so bad in Lancashire they don't care one bit.

2 hours ago, Kev40 said:

It's much busier now round Leeds. This is definitely not like last time. 

in Ireland we have been under lockdown for 2 weeks with very good compliance though there is more going on than during the last lockdown. I think people are less afraid and feel they now how to take proper care now.  Numbers are down dramatically   with the 14 day rate falling to 212 per 100000  from well into the 300s.  They are looking to get it down to between 50-100 cases a day in the next 4 weeks.  

The R rate is down to around 0.7 from 1.4 two weeks ago.   It will only work if people keep reducing their contacts

• Keeemon 2

1 hour ago, philinvicta said:

Pfizer have announced that there vaccine is more than 90%  effective  against Covid and they have applied for emergency approval to start distributing it

1 hour ago, Miller26 said:

What a day for humanity! 

But the medical industry giant has had its share of legal troubles and scandal. This includes marketing fraud allegations and unapproved clinical trials.

Pfizer has had many triumphs. It discovered citric acid. It mass produces penicillin and vitamin C. But for all its successes, it has also seen its fair share of lawsuits and scandal.

Consumers have accused Pfizer of selling defective products. The U.S. government has charged the company with health care fraud.

Fortune magazine named Pfizer the world’s most admired pharmaceutical company in 1997. But in 2017, a Reputation Institute report ranked Pfizer last among the top 17 drug makers for reputation.

Pfizer Lawsuits and Settlements

Pfizer faces a growing number of lawsuits in 2018 involving some of its most popular drugs. In the past, courts dismissed thousands of lawsuits against Pfizer. The company also agreed to settle cases over illegal marketing and health care fraud.

PFIZER SETTLEMENT AND FINE
Pfizer set a record for the largest health care fraud settlement and the largest criminal fine of any kind with $2.3 billion in 2009.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice

Protonix

People are suing Pfizer over Protonix. Protonix lawsuits say Pfizer failed to warn about the risk of kidney problems. In 2013, Pfizer agreed to pay $55 million to settle criminal charges. The U.S. Department of Justice said Wyeth promoted Protonix for unapproved uses in 2000 and 2001. Pfizer acquired Wyeth in 2009.

LEARN MORE ABOUT PROTONIX LAWSUITS

Prempro

Nearly 10,000 women filed Prempro breast cancer lawsuits against Pfizer. By 2012, Pfizer settled most of the claims for more than $1 billion.

Chantix

About 3,000 people filed Chantix lawsuits against Pfizer. They claimed Chantix caused suicidal thoughts and severe psychological disorders. In 2013, the company set aside about $288 million to resolve these cases. One case settled for an undisclosed amount just before trial in 2012.

Depo-Testosterone

More than 6,000 testosterone therapy lawsuits were pending in May 2018. The lawsuits say testosterone products caused strokes, blood clots and heart attacks.

LEARN MORE ABOUT TESTOSTERONE LAWSUITS

Effexor

A federal panel closed the consolidated Effexor litigation in 2013. Lawsuits claimed birth defects.

Zoloft

A judge dismissed Zoloft cases in 2016. Lawsuits included similar claims to Effexor XR. The judge did not disagree that Zoloft caused birth defects. But the judge concluded there was insufficient evidence to definitively link the two.

Eliquis

A judge dismissed a group of federal Eliquis cases in 2017. Injured patients continue to file severe bleeding claims in Delaware state court.

Lipitor

A judge dismissed Lipitor lawsuits in 2017. Women who took the drug filed lawsuits after developing Type 2 diabetes. There is currently an appeal pending.

Pfizer Drug Recalls

Pfizer has had to recall some of its popular products due to quality issues and poor packaging. Effexor XR and Prempro are two products affected by recalls.

Prempro

In 2013, Pfizer announced it was recalling five lots of Prempro. Prempro is a hormone replacement therapy drug. Routine testing revealed the strength of the drug was low.

Effexor XR

In 2014, Pfizer recalled two lots of its antidepressant drug Effexor XR. Tikosyn was discovered in an Effexor XR bottle. Tikosyn is one of the company’s heart pills. Pfizer warned that the combination of the two different drugs could be deadly.

Pfizer Scandal

In 1996, Pfizer conducted an unapproved clinical trial. It involved children with meningitis in Nigeria, CBS News reported. The trials led to the deaths of 11 children. Dozens more were left disabled.

PFIZER’S UNAPPROVED CLINICAL TRIAL
The unauthorized trial involved tests on 200 children with Pfizer's antibiotic Trovan.
Source: BBC News

Trovan is a drug severely restricted in use because of its potential to cause liver damage. Injury to the liver as a result of taking Trovan can lead to liver failure and death.

In 2011, Pfizer paid $700,000 to four families who lost children during the Trovan trials.

In addition, the company set up a $35 million fund for those affected by Trovan. Pfizer also agreed to sponsor health projects in Kano, Nigeria.

• Keeemon 1

42 minutes ago, Kinkerbells said:

I don’t care about the anti vaxers.

this could potentially give me my life back and when hearing the news today I sat and cried.

#hope!

Im not an anti vaxer im just pointing out that company should not be trusted at face value and you should be careful taking anything that's being rushed out the door 

Just now, 4houghts said:

Im not an anti vaxer im just pointing out that company should not be trusted at face value and you should be careful taking anything that's being rushed out the door 

I completely agree of course I do but there’s just one glimmer of hope and that’s all I’ve been hanging on. I am slightly worried in how effective it is on someone with connective tissue disease as this heavily messes with the immune system. What I’m saying is they’ve tested this vaccine on healthy patients so have no idea the ones with underlying diseases will actually respond. This is my biggest fear if I’m honest but yet still very hopeful . X

4 minutes ago, 4houghts said:

That is why it has to be authorised for use by Drug administrations  and results need to be published.  just because it is a covid vaccine it will still go through  certain procedures before it is released.  It will also take a long time to scale it up for large population use.  One thing that is a problem is that it has to be stored at -80c and that will mean large investments. It is unlikley to be widely available for some time but hopefully the use of it in frontline staff together with other cheap  treatments such as Vitamin D will mean covid in the general population will be reduced. You also need two doses so that means the available doses will only treat half that amount of people. I believe the UK has ordered around 30 million doses so far