Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

Not at all -- we all have our moments .... expletives will often be heard if catastrophe occurs ... though never the C word .

I’m similar, I only use that word 100 times a day, and only 500 times if I’m working that day.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Gkell727 said:

Yeah it’s baffling that people are still buying that ropey story he came up with. Definitely some distraction tactics today loosening restrictions once more to take the heat off the situation

It was quite funny watching the daily briefing today. Nearly all the journalists who were on couldn't help bringing it up again and having a dig

17 minutes ago, Brownman24 said:

I’m in Ealing Common right now and there’s about 300 in a park lol

15 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Must be a huge park if they are all 2 meters apart

I’ll get my chopper out to scare everyone off if ya want mate

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Gkell727 said:

Pretty pointless discussing but I wonder if Cummings will have a fine in the post like the tens of thousands of working people after he’s been judged to have broken the law 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/dominic-cummings-lockdown-news-police-fines-london-county-durham-journey-a9536221.html

Something i saw today and had to take a picture 

20200528_151038.jpg

• Love 3

Furlough changes. 

Staff can be furloughed part time from July. 
From September the subsidy will be 70% and 60% from October. 

Not sure when the wife is going back. Not sure she cares. Been on 100% furlough since it started.

13 minutes ago, Douvan said:

Furlough changes. 

Staff can be furloughed part time from July. 
From September the subsidy will be 70% and 60% from October. 

Not sure when the wife is going back. Not sure she cares. Been on 100% furlough since it started.

Interesting point on the daily update is that we are still at defcon 4. The changes that are being made should have only gone ahead if we were at defcon 3. We are not but they have pressed ahead anyway.

I think that speaks volumes

Anyone know about the ins and outs of this Furlough thing? I ask, as my company has written to all furloughed staff, and told them that they are 'on leave' next week, in essence, forcing annual leave upon them. Those not furloughed (including myself) have been advised that we need to take at least half of our annual leave entitlement before the end of September. or it will be forfeited. I understand why the company is doing it, but seems strange that this has never been mentioned since lockdown started, and even the upper echelons of our site management knew nothing of it. Can a company enforce leave without consultation, or is this happening everywhere for larger companies?

5 minutes ago, 1pstaker said:

Anyone know about the ins and outs of this Furlough thing? I ask, as my company has written to all furloughed staff, and told them that they are 'on leave' next week, in essence, forcing annual leave upon them. Those not furloughed (including myself) have been advised that we need to take at least half of our annual leave entitlement before the end of September. or it will be forfeited. I understand why the company is doing it, but seems strange that this has never been mentioned since lockdown started, and even the upper echelons of our site management knew nothing of it. Can a company enforce leave without consultation, or is this happening everywhere for larger companies?

It's clear why they are doing it, but I would check your contract or speak to HR department of you have one

2 minutes ago, david1111 said:

It's clear why they are doing it, but I would check your contract or speak to HR department of you have one

The letter sent to the furloughted staff contained the line "as per your contract" although none of us remember seeing it lol.

As I say I fully get it taking place, just wondered if it was 'normal' really and something others going through

Just now, 1pstaker said:

The letter sent to the furloughted staff contained the line "as per your contract" although none of us remember seeing it lol.

As I say I fully get it taking place, just wondered if it was 'normal' really and something others going through

I suppose nothing is normal at the moment, but thinking about it I'm sure they would have checked their legal position before sending the letters

16 minutes ago, 1pstaker said:

It was said that employees would be able to carry over unused annual leaves for two years. 

Heres the updated rules re the furlough scheme. (I've not ready the changes yet)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme 

• Shocked! 1

8 minutes ago, Jok3st3r said:

It was said that employees would be able to carry over unused annual leaves for two years. 

Heres the updated rules re the furlough scheme. (I've not ready the changes yet)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme 

It does seem as though that as long as notice is provided, then it is ok.

One additional thing I have read though, is that the Bank holidays we have missed should be returned to us as days in lieu, so thats something.

30 minutes ago, 1pstaker said:

Employers can require workers to take holiday while on furlough, provided the requisite notice requirements are met. It is also suggested that employers should first “engage with their workforce” and explain their reasons for wanting them to take leave. 

However, the guidance then goes on to include the following paragraph:

If an employer requires a worker to take holiday while on furlough, the employer should consider whether any restrictions the worker is under, such as the need to socially distance or self-isolate, would prevent the worker from resting, relaxing and enjoying leisure time, which is the fundamental purpose of holiday.

Holiday entitlement and pay during coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance

This paragraph appears to be making reference to case law from the European Court of Justice, which emphasises that annual leave must allow a worker to rest and enjoy a period of relaxation and leisure. Since it seems that this paragraph could apply to the majority of us in the country right now, it is hard to know quite what the government is saying by this. On the one hand, it could be taken to suggest that the circumstances of, and restrictions placed on, someone on furlough may mean this definition is not met. However, the guidance then goes on to say that “workers who are on furlough are unlikely to need to carry forward statutory annual leave, as they will be able to take it during furlough”, which seems to imply that the government does not believe furloughed workers will be prevented from resting and relaxing while on holiday.

It appears that the government is hedging its bets, and leaving it up to the courts to decide what the final position should be on whether employers can require furloughed workers to take holiday. Since it could take several years for a case on this point to reach even a first tier employment tribunal, this is not terribly satisfactory for employers who understandably will be looking for clarity while the furlough scheme is still in operation.

On balance, it seems likely that, in the majority of cases, employers will be able to show that workers are still able to have rest and relaxation even during lockdown (especially now the rules are starting to be relaxed), and so will be able to require furloughed workers to take holiday. However, our strong advice for anyone seeking to do this, would be to remain mindful of people’s individual circumstances and give proper consideration to any concerns raised by individuals about taking holiday at the current time.

In addition, for employers who only have part of their workforce on furlough, it would be advisable to try to maintain parity in terms of how holiday entitlement between the two groups is treated, since any difference (eg requiring one group to take holiday but not the other) could lead to resentment between the two groups, and so create problems in the long run.

That clears things up🤔

Just now, 1pstaker said:

It does seem as though that as long as notice is provided, then it is ok.

One additional thing I have read though, is that the Bank holidays we have missed should be returned to us as days in lieu, so thats something.

They do say...

During this unprecedented time, we are keeping the policy on holiday pay during furlough under review.

So basically they will change the rules last minute and no one will understand them 🙄

I can understand employers getting worried at how they are going to fit all the annual leave in and if i were furloughed i wouldnt be too fussed at losing the leave I had accrued during that time. 

Tbh....I believe it is a pretty common contract term that your employer can make you use your annual leave if it suits the business and i doubt anyone would begrudge it during the current situation. 😁