Sign in to follow this  
adamuk

Anyone a Structual Engineer or Does Building Regs?

Recommended Posts

Building regs 

Structural Engineering

Just need some advice.

Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to ask away been in the construction industry for years so hopefully can assist.

Otherwise feel free to drop me a PM mate if you prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasp nests aren’t a suitable building material.

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Player1173 said:

Feel free to ask away been in the construction industry for years so hopefully can assist.

Otherwise feel free to drop me a PM mate if you prefer.

Do I need building regs for putting in a spiral stair case, also im taking out a load bearing wall, and putting in a RSJ and also putting in woodburner, all require building regs, could I get away with saying they had been done when I go the place, is it much hassle and cost getting them etc.

 

How much will a Structual engineer cost to presumably tell me what sort of RSJ I need, I know woodburners need either a HEATAS engineer install or regs.

 

And like I day I know all the above need them, so if I paid would they come out and do all in a day one visit? 

 

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also does anyone know anything about pressurised emersion systems as I want to do away with my water tank, as having ceilings up to the roof line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, adamuk said:

Also does anyone know anything about pressurised emersion systems as I want to do away with my water tank, as having ceilings up to the roof line

What are you going to be using the hot water for? Is it part of a heating system, showers, baths etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RB91 said:

What are you going to be using the hot water for? Is it part of a heating system, showers, baths etc?

Yes only to be used for Bath and hot water etc, my OCD won't allow me to have a water tank in a cupboard 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, adamuk said:

Yes only to be used for Bath and hot water etc, my OCD won't allow me to have a water tank in a cupboard 

 

 

So you’re wanting to just have an invented cylinder as opposed to having the gravity fed tank which I’m guessing you have now? You just need to figure out what size you need. The unvented system Just needs a cold water main supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RB91 said:

So you’re wanting to just have an invented cylinder as opposed to having the gravity fed tank which I’m guessing you have now? You just need to figure out what size you need. The unvented system Just needs a cold water main supply.

How do I figure out what litre size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RB91 said:

So you’re wanting to just have an invented cylinder as opposed to having the gravity fed tank which I’m guessing you have now? You just need to figure out what size you need. The unvented system Just needs a cold water main supply.

Excatly that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unvented** bloody autocorrect.

 

just depends on exactly what’s on it. I’ve only got a 50 litre system, and that’s too much for me, but I literally only use it for hot taps in the kitchen and two bathrooms. I removed the bath and put a walk in shower in the main bathroom so everything is electric for me. 

Plumber would be the best man for the job on this one.

If you were to have a teenage daughter, get a 10 billion litre system so I’ve been told. ?

standard for them is like 200-300 which is enough for a standard home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RB91 said:

Unvented** bloody autocorrect.

 

just depends on exactly what’s on it. I’ve only got a 50 litre system, and that’s too much for me, but I literally only use it for hot taps in the kitchen and two bathrooms. I removed the bath and put a walk in shower in the main bathroom so everything is electric for me. 

Plumber would be the best man for the job on this one.

If you were to have a teenage daughter, get a 10 billion litre system so I’ve been told. ?

standard for them is like 200-300 which is enough for a standard home. 

Excellent great help I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, adamuk said:

Do I need building regs for putting in a spiral stair case, also im taking out a load bearing wall, and putting in a RSJ and also putting in woodburner, all require building regs, could I get away with saying they had been done when I go the place, is it much hassle and cost getting them etc.

 

How much will a Structual engineer cost to presumably tell me what sort of RSJ I need, I know woodburners need either a HEATAS engineer install or regs.

 

And like I day I know all the above need them, so if I paid would they come out and do all in a day one visit? 

 

Cheers 

There are a fair few variables here. 

There is nothing stopping you from not telling building control. If you sell the property and you dont have building regs you can pay for an indemnity insurance (around £50) as some protection for the buyer, which their soliciter may insist on.

However it only takes one twattish neighbour to raise the alarm whilst you are doing the work, and you will soon have a visit from your local council's building control.

Are you doing the work yourself? 

I would suggest as a minimum getting a Structural Enginneer to review your plans. For someone to come out and put some sketches together this should be around £250. This will include which temporary measures you should take for the load bearing wall and steel beam/padstones and the like.

Should you go down the route of obtaining building regs I would imagine the cost will be about the same, perhaps slightly higher. 

Be careful with the woodburner. Hetas certification is quite important. Especially for your home insurance should (God forbid) anything happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hire plenty of acro's for the support and there is plenty of advice and video's  on YT as  to what size steels you might need.Its not rocket science. But look first before paying for a structural engineer, you only have a small cottage.  a lot will depend on the span of the opening.

Building regs, a pain in the rectum, but like Player said you will need them when selling as you plan to. Cost used to vary on size of job, but a couple of hundred seems right,

and above all take care when taking out a load bearing wall my friend. Do not do this alone. and deffo don't put steel rsj's in alone GL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all when I do it I will go down the building regs route then for sure.

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this