Diary of a fool

Miller26

3 hours ago, david1111 said:

Setting limits doesn't work either because you can increase them again in 24 hours with no questions asked.

That needs to change

Totally agree David 

You can build walls and barriers as high as you want, but if you still have the gamblers determination you will always find a way  

The very same as any alcoholic or drug user 

Had many quit attempts myself that have all failed, I beat smoking back in 2012 but gambling is on a very different level with what it provides in thrills. 

@Miller26

I feel for you mate, i think we have all felt this before, i doubt this is your first time. I really hope this time you sort it. Im not one to preach as ive been punting a shit load lately but I'll put a few things below that might help, they have me.

Firstly print off 100 passport size photos at boots and spend a day or two visiting every arcade and bookie within an hour of you and self exclude. Doing it personally is way more effective. Hopefully you'll limit your options.

Gamstop, 2 years minimum. That should stop online betting.

Get a bank account that allows you to block gambling transactions. If you wanns turn it off it takes 48 hours to kick in by which time the urge should have passed. Hopefully this stops you emptying your bank in a fobt by card. At worst you can lose your cash withdrawal limit.

Limit your access to cash!

Im sure there are better suggestions others have said and if you really wanna do your balls you will but those things above do make it a lot harder to gamble.

Keep yourself busy as has already been suggested. Start a hobby, go to the gym but do something. I can 100% relate that the less busy i am (hobbies etc) the more i tend to bet. If you live anywhere between London and Birmingham im happy to take you fishing for a day or play golf. Try something new if you haven't done it.

Lastly, if you find yourself tempted try and take a step back, remind yourself of this thread and post on it. There always seems to be someone about to chat.

Take care.

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

@bigbucks1983 and anyone else who's interested, here's what's I'm excluded from.

Online - signed up to gamstop for the full 5 years and have no interest in it whatsoever apart from warning others. 

Bookies - self excluded myself for the maximum of 12 months ( in my opinion too low) from my 2 most local bookies a few days ago. Now I wanted to do more but the woman on the phone told me not to just add random bookies for some reason. Guess she doesn't know the mind of a gambler. I rang up yesterday afternoon to add as many as I could think of. 

Mates putting bets on - i had a friend who used to put bets on for me online but he dropped his deposit limits so it was basically impossible for him to put any on for me, which he hasn't for months. 

I had two runners as Denman would call them, putting bets on in shops. One has pretty much stopped gambling ( no issues with it) and one only goes one bookies which are now flatly refusing my bets. 

Arcades - I self excluded from them in my main area last year and have not attempted to enter one since. 

Now there is one other area which has arcades near me from which I'm not excluded. I need to go down there and exclude soon to be honest. 

Now I've exc from one form or another of gambling in the past but always conti ued to gamble. I need to use this year I have to break the cycle. 

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

I’m so pleased to read your positivity this morning ❤️
Breaking the cycle is hard but you can do this!

Its very easy to get emotionally lost. Blocking all avenues is the best thing you can do to help yourself on this journey Miller. 
As days turn into weeks you feel so much stronger and in control. 

We are all here routing for you ?

49 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

@bigbucks1983 and anyone else who's interested, here's what's I'm excluded from.

Online - signed up to gamstop for the full 5 years and have no interest in it whatsoever apart from warning others. 

Bookies - self excluded myself for the maximum of 12 months ( in my opinion too low) from my 2 most local bookies a few days ago. Now I wanted to do more but the woman on the phone told me not to just add random bookies for some reason. Guess she doesn't know the mind of a gambler. I rang up yesterday afternoon to add as many as I could think of. 

Mates putting bets on - i had a friend who used to put bets on for me online but he dropped his deposit limits so it was basically impossible for him to put any on for me, which he hasn't for months. 

I had two runners as Denman would call them, putting bets on in shops. One has pretty much stopped gambling ( no issues with it) and one only goes one bookies which are now flatly refusing my bets. 

Arcades - I self excluded from them in my main area last year and have not attempted to enter one since. 

Now there is one other area which has arcades near me from which I'm not excluded. I need to go down there and exclude soon to be honest. 

Now I've exc from one form or another of gambling in the past but always conti ued to gamble. I need to use this year I have to break the cycle. 

Exclude from those arcades today! 
It’s a sunny day, well maybe not in Stoke ?

Total abstinence x

I'd like to add something on that matter

I know you've been trying to quit gambling for months now

Sometime, we have to know when enough is enough

It seems like you are ready for this because you really want to give up gambling 

Now, take a day at a time, then let us know your everyday struggle

It's not gonna be easy at first but it does get better quite quicky

Good luck mate, we're all behind you ?

• Keeemon 6

Hi @Miller26 mate sorry I'm late to the thread. I've read the thread and been thinking how can i help. What can i say that's different. The post I'd to touch you said about not gambling would leave a big hole in your life. I'm here to tell you that's not the case. I can see the want in your posts but the self belief I'm not sure you have yet but you will. You can do it i have no doubt in my mind but i think the psychology and mindset of what you do may prove the most important factor. A life without gambling scary thought eh. It's not a life without gambling it's a day just today. Tomorrow is the same just tomorrow and so on. Don't look far ahead it's not good for your head. It's all about today. There's no need to look at the big picture. You know we will all always support help and give advice. After all you helped me the most without even realising lol. Good luck for today just today for now.

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 4

1 minute ago, PieGamble said:

I'll descend from the crowd wisdom here and suggest that anyone still hanging around forums related to gambling has not truly reached the point where they don't want gambling in their lives anymore.

I wish you all the best.

I'm gonna have to disagree and so will a few of the guys have been successful in quitting and also give props to this very forum in helping them achieve it. 

• Puke! 2

18 minutes ago, PieGamble said:

I'll descend from the crowd wisdom here and suggest that anyone still hanging around forums related to gambling has not truly reached the point where they don't want gambling in their lives anymore.

I wish you all the best.

I have to disagree as I feel that this forum has a far wider reach than just being about gambling.   I also believe that the very people that understand what  others  who want to give up but are struggling and are going through are present on this forum and can help those who genuinely want to give up.  I know some people can take it or leave it with regards to gambling but there are lots who cannot and I would like to think that they can find support networks they need to help them through.

I would also hope that people who visit the forum and only read through the threads but do not sign up will also get ideas that may help them if they too have a problem.

I would also suggest that traditional methods all involve giving up everything 100%  and this is not the way for some people who just need to stop the self inflicted damage and to bring things under control

• Puke! 2
  • Keeemon 3

20 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

I would also suggest that traditional methods all involve giving up everything 100%  and this is not the way for some people who just need to stop the self inflicted damage and to bring things under control

100% old me and 100% owe it to here for new me ?

• Puke! 2

Don’t think of it as forever @Miller26 that’s a rather large mental stone to carry around with you day in day out for the rest of your life, day by day mate but for the first few months your head will be in bits trying to fight it but fight it you must and I guarantee it gets easier until one day gambling isn’t your first thought or your last.

I’ve been one hell of a degen in my time mate just like you and I’ve managed to get through this year with only a few minor slip ups ( which you would expect) which is a hell of a less than once a week ?

The key to me being able to achieve this is simply THIS FORUM, a place to vent, to admit and to listen.

The control must come from you mate but just because you are stopping gambling doesn’t mean you can’t talk about it anymore.

Stay on this forum amongst us degens and let us be happy with you and sad with you.

Plus you can still provide Denman with some top quality tips?

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, PieGamble said:

I wish you all the best.

You may be right mate but I sincerely hope to prove you wrong. I guess time will tell I suppose. Thanks for your honest opinion. 

• Keeemon 1

4 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

Got issues with work but @Hacko 1 @philinvicta @Kev40 @Cheryl T @Jok3st3r and anyone else thanks for your advice and kind posts. I'll be back later 

being honest the only way I can see you actually quitting is

1. Giving your money to your parents

They can slowly ween you with money after 6months-1year 

Edited by 4houghts
  • Keeemon 1

2 hours ago, PieGamble said:

I wish you all the best.

@PieGamble personally for me I was looking for ways to help other gamblers. I looked at mental health charity's and other things but I wasnt sure how to help, as I have no qualifications. Basically this place is a start for me by trying to help other understand through my past there is a way out. We have all been to the same pits of despair, but these kind of threads are a start by understanding gambling is a disease. Once you open up to people you realise your not alone.

Also there are people alot further down the road who I can learn from aswell, as I know the urge may never leave you, we just learn to cope.

I could easily spend £1000 over a weekend, only stressing once the money was gone. Now I may spend £20 a week only on football. I know i couldn't give this up, so this was my reward for kicking the rest. YOU CAN CHANGE!!! Believe in yourself @Miller26

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 5

Start looking around your area in terms of activities mate, things you can do during the week or after the week. Was thinking about what you said about there not being much around in Stoke, is moving a possibilty?, what with work, I don't know it it is, but that might be part of the new, improved miller.

Edited by spursman
  • Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, spursman said:

Start looking around your area in terms of activities mate, things you can do during the week or after the week. Was thinking about what you said about there not being much around in Stoke, is moving a possibilty?, what with work, I don't know it it is, but that might be part of the new, improved miller.

Not really a possibility with work mate. Whilst Stoke is a bit of a shite hole, it's also pretty quiet most of the time which I like champ. I've had a quick look at volunteering today but I don't want to jump into anything until I know I can give it my all. 

• Keeemon 1

You could begin regular sessions with a Dominatrix and ask for Financial Domination, basically she will take all your Lucky 15 money off you and keep it for herself and then you pay her too. Some people like that kind of thing. I have searched for Mistresses local to Stoke and to be honest there doesn't seem to be many good ones over that way, they all have a lot of limits. I couldn't find a single one that would poo on you or do face sitting/butt drops/smothering for example. But I can look into it a bit more if you're interested.

42 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

Day 1

Went for a long walk this morning, cooked myself a lamb hotpot and not much else to be honest. Not really thought of gambling so day 1 has been good apart from a little boring. 

Back to work tomorrow which I'm quite looking forward to. Weird I know ??

To all lamb eaters not only does it taste like shite but how could you ??

311FF84E-E4FD-4F04-A106-1604BCDBEFB3.gif

• Love 2

18 minutes ago, Denman said:

You could begin regular sessions with a Dominatrix and ask for Financial Domination, basically she will take all your Lucky 15 money off you and keep it for herself and then you pay her too. Some people like that kind of thing. I have searched for Mistresses local to Stoke and to be honest there doesn't seem to be many good ones over that way, they all have a lot of limits. I couldn't find a single one that would poo on you or do face sitting/butt drops/smothering for example. But I can look into it a bit more if you're interested.

Please do mate that would be most helpful ?

• Love 1