BCF Sunday 1500 Celtic v Rangers

howfin

Betfred Cup Final @HampdenPark

The last few years have seen utter dominance from Celtic when it comes to the domestic cups. Celtic have won each of the last three renewals of this competition, while they’ve also had their hands on the Scottish Cup in each of the last three seasons too. Not only have Celtic been the only team to touch a domestic trophy in Scotland for the last three seasons, but they’ve also got an excellent recent record against Rangers in cup competitions, winning each of their last three cup matches against Rangers. Interestingly, Rangers haven’t beaten Celtic (in 90 minutes) in a cup game since the 2010/11 season.

In terms of recent form, Celtic couldn’t be coming into this game in better shape. They’ve won each of their last 11, none of which they’ve really struggled in. The fact that they beat Rangers by two goals to nil when the pair met back in September is another reason as to why Celtic ought to be feeling confident ahead of this match.

Rangers haven’t won a cup game against Celtic in normal time for some years, but that may not bother them, as they too come into this game in fine form. Rangers haven’t lost a competitive fixture since their Europa League defeat against Young Boys back in the first week of October. Since then they’ve won eight and drawn four. They recently beat a very useful Porto side, so they’re no back number in this fixture.

In the early betting, Celtic are warm favourites at a shade over ever-money, though its easy to feel that this is too short. They did beat Rangers when the pair last met, but their victory wasn’t overly convincing, as both teams had chances. What’s more, Rangers have twice beaten Celtic in the last year, so it’s not as if they’re strangers to recent victories in this fixture. If we also look at their respective league performances this year, there’s very little between the pair, which suggests that Rangers could do with getting a little bit more respect in the betting. Celtic are only two points to the good in the SPL, while they’ve only scored one more goal. Interestingly, Rangers rank as the best team in the league in terms of shots on target.

Recent renewals of this fixture have tended to be quite tight, low-scoring affairs. Both teams have scored in just one of the last seven Old Firm games, while Rangers, who’ve kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven, have shut Celtic out twice in the last year. Personally i cant see this following that trend as this match is crucially important for both sides in terms of confidence with the tightness at the top of the league and seeing as the two will re-oppose before the new year in a league fixture before the break. Due to that I feel Celtic & BTTS at 16/5 in the early markets seems a decent bet and most likely what ill stick with. Rangers 1-0 if assuming a low scoring affair at 9/1 seems decent as well.

• Keeemon 6

I was packed with confidence this week until watching Rangers crumbling to a shite but physical Aberdeen side. Barisic injury could tip the scales in this battle as Flanagan looks a fucking bomb scare.

Tavernier and Goldson could also be the downfall of a talented yet fragile Rangers squad.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the first one on here giving it large if the Gers win

Edited by Blacko
  • Keeemon 1

8 minutes ago, Blacko said:

I was packed with confidence this week until watching Rangers crumbling to a shite but physical Aberdeen side. Barisic injury could tip the scales in this battle as Flanagan looks a fucking bomb scare.

Tavernier and Goldson could also be the downfall of a talented yet fragile Rangers squad.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the first one on here giving it large if the Gers win

Nae shame in coming away fae pittodrie with a draw. Id really be disappointed if this finishes 1-0 or some shite like that. Tbf the pieces are all set here for a thriller.

Just now, howfin said:

Nae shame in coming away fae pittodrie with a draw. Id really be disappointed if this finishes 1-0 or some shite like that. Tbf the pieces are all set here for a thriller.

The first Old Firm game was shite ( for me anyway ) but look at the goal threats from both sides, Edouard, Morelos, Christie, Kent, Brown etc.. I still think Celtic have the edge on Rangers as they have a tougher mindset. Hoping for an open/attacking game. 

7 minutes ago, Blacko said:

The first Old Firm game was shite ( for me anyway ) but look at the goal threats from both sides, Edouard, Morelos, Christie, Kent, Brown etc.. I still think Celtic have the edge on Rangers as they have a tougher mindset. Hoping for an open/attacking game. 

Aye the result didnt justify the game and if rangers take advantage of their opportunities this time it could be a lot different. NL was interviewed earlier today, didnt seem all that confident with our injuries but might hae just been trying to hide his lineup or something. Cant see this going without both scoring anyway. 16/5 seems quite generous in my eyes for that.

though its easy to feel that this is too short. They did beat Rangers when the pair last met, but their victory wasn’t overly convincing, as both teams had chances.

That’s pish, Rangers didn’t have a shot on target until about 80 minutes that day. 

Easy win on Sunday for the ‘tic.

• Keeemon 1

Youre right, Rangers played poorly, but in my opinion Celtic should have done a lot better as well.. even though we won. It was the softest win/game at Ibrox ive seen in a long time. It was a pish game overall but shots on target isnt the only thing i class as a chance. Regardless though im sure we all know you can never look too much into prior results with the OF, especially on a cup final day. Im ofc hoping for a easy Celtic win, just some part of me trying to justify the Celtic & BTTS bet ive done with the stats and perhaps looking too much into trying to find negatives. Personally cant take 6/5 in a cup final that can get right to fuck.

Hate to admit it , but got to say celtic will romp this , too much pace , skill,  overall workrate , and aggresion for rangers,  whose centre backs looks slow and awkward under pressure , and vulnerable attset pieces , rangers only hope is if macregor (goalie) kent, my main" threat" and morellos who has yet to score against celtic , all have blinders, and the rest play really well. This is posted with a very heavy heart and I hope im wrong tho .

C'MON THE GOVAN ARCHERS  weearrapeepel .

• Puke! 1
  • Love 1
  • Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, Peter clark said:

Hate to admit it , but got to say celtic will romp this , too much pace , skill,  overall workrate , and aggresion for rangers,  whose centre backs looks slow and awkward under pressure , and vulnerable attset pieces , rangers only hope is if macregor (goalie) kent, my main" threat" and morellos who has yet to score against celtic , all have blinders, and the rest play really well. This is posted with a very heavy heart and I hope im wrong tho .

McGregor’s a tosser, but he’s some keeper!  He’s worth his weight in gold to rangers.

• Keeemon 1

Already my line on Celtic & BTTS but the weather could be a factor in this as well for anyone thinking of having a go. Blowing a gale and pouring.Looks to be more of the same for tomorrow as well. Not that any side wouldnt be used to it but could effect the flow of the game

• Good Luck! 1
  • Keeemon 1

7 minutes ago, howfin said:

Already my line on Celtic & BTTS but the weather could be a factor in this as well for anyone thinking of having a go. Blowing a gale and pouring.Looks to be more of the same for tomorrow as well. Not that any side wouldnt be used to it but could effect the flow of the game

Isn't that the weather 90% of the time in Scotland

• Keeemon 1

11 hours ago, Peter clark said:

WATP

• Keeemon 2