Cue Care - 2015

Silviniaco Conti - 2013

Kicking King -2005 & 2004

Best Mate - 2002 

Teeton Mill - 1998

One Man 1995 & 1996

The Fellow 1991 & 1992

Desert Orchid 1988 - 1989 - 1990 

Ahhhhh What memories this stunning race has provided over the years and is the reason it's my 2nd Best race in the Chase calendar, some of the banter over the years with mates that are sadly no longer around will never be forgot and I still have great opinion banter with a good few mates till this very day the last being supplied by that very special horse Cue Card. He was a horse I was lucky enough to latch onto very early and stuck with him 90% of his racecourse appearances and that finish in the 2015 King George will remain one of my all time racing memories that I still watch back now and again.

Best Mate winning back in 2002 is also right up there and I can't ever imagine he will ever be replaced as my No-1 all time favorite racehorse,  2002 wasn't the best of years what with some personal problems and after all the Christmas presents and food was paid for along with all the usual bills everything left over went on Best Mate winning the King George, I was even lucky enough to land 4 numbers in the Christmas day lotto and when I collected the money on Boxing day i simply went from the newsagents and right into the bookmakers and placed every penny onto Best Mate, Tony McCoy was riding and it was just a fantastic race that provided one of those euphoric wins that put my frame of mind SKY HIGH for days.

This years line up I'm sure will be as good as ever and the two I've had my eye on are from two of the top yards, Team Nicholls & Team Henderson but at this level it's by no means a two horse race this is purely my opinion and in this tips section I'm still well aware I've yet to bag a winner.

Altior from Mr Henderson's Yard is top class with his CV being most impressive, he's won his last 19 starts and took everything in his stride winning at venues like Ascot - Sandown - Newbury - Kempton and of course Prestbury Park.  Can he get beat ? that's the question as the big ? mark is he's never been over the Kind George distance, the flat track of Kempton will suit but will he have enough petrol for the finish ?  time will tell and he does have an entry in the Betfair chase at Haydock on 23rd November so many eyes will be watching should he turn up.

Cyrname from Ditcheat is held in the highest regard by trainer Paul Nicholls and doesn't have big miles on the clock with just the 15 races on his CV winning 6, he won his last race easy ''Betfair Chase at Ascot'' back in February under Harry Cobden who gave him a most confident ride that day as they pulled clear.

Cyrname has a lot going for him along with a very shrewd trainer who knows more than most how to win this race on TEN occasions, Mr Nicholls always seems to get his preparation spot on with such high class chasers and he's upped this 7yr old geldings game at a perfect steady pace. He's also ran twice here at Kempton and won both those races so knows the place and enjoys it, if he shows up 100% fit he really could now be ANYTHING!

Cracking looking race and the two for me are 

Cyrname @ 5/1 

Danger - Alitor @ 3/1 with Betfair 

Sadly Vautor is not around anymore and my big mate hates watching this race as he was heavy down with Vautor, he still can't believe how it ended and of course I never allow him to forget.

Just a very special memory 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwHOTKhyTQ

Edited by Bangers
  • Keeemon 5

I used to go and was there for Dessies first win and his second but by the time of his third it was too packed and so I stopped going.   My best memory of his first win was a guy with his head  in his hands  going I knew it why did I not back it,  Pretty sure he was a double figure price.  I also remember when Douman brought over horses and they where always a price  think it was Nupsala won at 25/1 causing an upset.  Another memory was backing the wrong one of Jenny Pitmans by mistake and he won at 7/1 I think it was Wayward Lad  who beat Burrough Hill Lad who was favourite  I  realised my mistake before the race but did not ask to change it because I felt it was an omen and so it proved.

One of my best bets was when I had come  to Ireland and I had a nice e/w bet   on Florida Pearl   I was staying with friends  and decided to stay another 2 weeks before coming home

Great memories for me too 

• Like 1
  • Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 2

21 minutes ago, philinvicta said:

I used to go and was there for Dessies first win and his second but by the time of his third it was too packed and so I stopped going.   My best memory of his first win was a guy with his head  in his hands  going I knew it why did I not back it,  Pretty sure he was a double figure price.  I also remember when Douman brought over horses and they where always a price  think it was Nupsala won at 25/1 causing an upset.  Another memory was backing the wrong one of Jenny Pitmans by mistake and he won at 7/1 I think it was Wayward Lad  who beat Burrough Hill Lad who was favourite  I  realised my mistake before the race but did not ask to change it because I felt it was an omen and so it proved.

One of my best bets was when I had come  to Ireland and I had a nice e/w bet   on Florida Pearl   I was staying with friends  and decided to stay another 2 weeks before coming home

Great memories for me too 

Kempton is another course on the TO DO list 

Even if it was just for one of the AW cards 

31 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

Great write up @Bangers. The king George i remember the most was the kicking king one i think where someone dressed as father xmas ran on the track after the horse jumped the last and won at about 7/2.

Was a good horse, think that was also the year he ran right through the last fence and came to a halt

Heart in mouth stuff and why I hate watching the end of live races lol  

Won a Gold Cup too as You'l know 

Edited by Bangers

Seems a bit crazy to me that they want to go the King George route with Altior, whats the endgame plan for them? Gold Cup? To be fair if the horse stays its more free wins as the standard of horse in those races certainly isn't particularly strong in recent years.

Spending on ground, Altior should win the King George. Stays all day and comes up the hill at Cheltenham like nothing else showing he could probably go further. (Yes, I know the King George isn’t run at Cheltenham). I think Douvan could have run him close if he ended standing up to the end and there was also the horse the year before (I forget the name) which fell 2 out. Had Altior working hard. 

• Keeemon 2

3 hours ago, Denman said:

Seems a bit crazy to me that they want to go the King George route with Altior, whats the endgame plan for them? Gold Cup? To be fair if the horse stays its more free wins as the standard of horse in those races certainly isn't particularly strong in recent years.

I think the press and public have always wanted to see it step up in distance as its dominated at 2m. But despite its quality I wouldn't put one dime on Altior in the King George until I see him stay in a competitive race. King George/ Gold Cup double has to be its end game. Given the Mullins horse that won the Gold Cup is hardly a great horse, Anibale Fly is  a thoroughly solid stayer, no more....what else was there? Native River? would need Soft/ Heavy ground to give him a race. Cyrname  would need to improve....so your right, what competition would he have? its as good as year as any for him to try this step up and see what he can do. Nothing to lose really, he's already a legend,  he's getting older, so the speed in waning and he might be even better over staying trips?? should be a good watch for any racing fan.

• Like 1
  • Keeemon 2

sorry meant to add, after the weekend according to Henderson, santini wont run in the King george as it doesn't like Kempo, but the Gold Cup is highly likely. be interesting if he has him and Altior running against each other. I know Mullins would, but Henderson?? or would the owner dictate where the horse run?

It’s a tricky one. Patricia Pugh is all for Altior stepping up in distance and Nicky Henderson does too. If he steps up and loses his unbeaten record then all eyes fall on Henderson along with all the blame. You have to think about the way he picks up going up the hill and the way he fly’s past the line. 

The 2 mile chasers were poor for a while and Douvan dominated that division for a long time. He was a horse of a lifetime for Rich and Susanne Ricci. You look at all his wins and he won about 13 races over approximately a cumulative 130 lengths (something like that) before he had the terrible fracture which sidelined him. He seriously lacked match fitness at the tingle creek and unfortunately fell when plodding on at Cheltenham. Townend said he’d never felt anything like it when he was bowling along on him. I’d love to see him back. 

Altior now dominates the division and there isn’t a whole lot to push him. The 3 mile division is a different kettle of fish. It would most likely see the end of his record. He’s a different beast. He beat Min in arguably one of the strongest renewals of the Supreme in 2016 if not one of the strongest races at Cheltenham in a very long time. I think Min would have been something else had he not been going against Buveur D’air regularly. 

In my opinion and I may be wrong of course, I think Altior goes to Kempton on Boxing Day and wins the King George. Barring any kind of niggle, he’ll be declared for the gold cup which he should go on to finish in the top 3, if not win it. 

• Shocked! 1

17 hours ago, Crunchie said:

I think the press and public have always wanted to see it step up in distance as its dominated at 2m. But despite its quality I wouldn't put one dime on Altior in the King George until I see him stay in a competitive race. King George/ Gold Cup double has to be its end game. Given the Mullins horse that won the Gold Cup is hardly a great horse, Anibale Fly is  a thoroughly solid stayer, no more....what else was there? Native River? would need Soft/ Heavy ground to give him a race. Cyrname  would need to improve....so your right, what competition would he have? its as good as year as any for him to try this step up and see what he can do. Nothing to lose really, he's already a legend,  he's getting older, so the speed in waning and he might be even better over staying trips?? should be a good watch for any racing fan.

class write-up 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crunchie said:

I know he's in the betting for the King George, but is Altior entered this weekend at Cheltenham or in any races in the near future? something like the Peterboro Chase at huntingdon? or is that too close to Boxing Day?

He does have an entry in the Betfair chase at Haydock on 23rd November 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bangers said:

Has No entries as yet apart from one race 

The King George 

that would put me off any horse, lack of a prep run. I know horses can go well fresh, but I hate backing something I not seen run in ages. Too much risk for my liking. Leave it to those with bigger balls lol

• Shocked! 1

1 minute ago, Crunchie said:

that would put me off any horse, lack of a prep run. I know horses can go well fresh, but I hate backing something I not seen run in ages. Too much risk for my liking. Leave it to those with bigger balls lol

Agree M8 

Crazy to think the race is only 5 weeks away 

Christmas already WTF! 

53 minutes ago, Crunchie said:

that would be ideal prep,  wonder what will take him on. Cyrname would be good, just to see how they measure up.

I almost feel like Cyrname is a product of hype. Maybe Nicholls has been so starved of a "superstar" (arguable) for some years now, the first thing thats come along and won very impressively a few times is being lauded too much. Simple fact is before those two wins at Ascot this horse had pretty average form. Now theres no doubting he annihilated in those races. But that earlier form just puts me off hugely. 

I do like to oppose beasts like Altior, I think naturally when such horses come around, standout horses in their generation, its very easy and logical to keep them running in the same races against the same horses every run. So credit where due the trainer/owner are making a pretty ballsy move. If they succeed over this distance well most people are going to have expected it and if they fail they are going to look pretty stupid. That said, simple logic should tell us, Hendersons been testing this horse over the longer distance against his better horses over that distance and probably already feels incredibly confident about it or again it would seem perfectly logical that this horse wouldn't be going that route. With the wealth of talent he has at his disposal, he has probably tested it against his "Gold Cup Standard" horses, and its probably safe to assume now judging by the fact hes come out publicly and said thats the route they will go, that Altior has annihilated them over distance. While it makes for a better story that this horse is going into the unknown, facing a distance which might be a step too far, its really not that uncertain at all.

I'd think if theres any "Altior to win the King George and Gold Cup" specials floating around, they are going to be overpriced ((thinking 25s+ sounds reasonable). Plus as a really speculative punt, if any bookies are offering prices on the Stayers Chase Triple Crown (probably not) if theres any hint that they will send him out in the Betfair Chase that will be majorly overpriced and a tasty little speculative punt (thinking 50s+).

2 hours ago, Crunchie said:

that would be ideal prep,  wonder what will take him on. Cyrname would be good, just to see how they measure up.

Lots of decent names horses should be there to put it up to him...chiefly Clan Des Obeaux, Frodon, Lost in Translation, Bag au Roi, Santini, Might Bite, Native River and loads more are all in the betting markets including Gold Cup winner Al Boum Photo. 

• Keeemon 1

52 minutes ago, Douvan said:

I haven’t seen any specials knocking around. As per skybet, Altior is 14/1 for Gold Cup and 5/2 for the King George. Gold Cup price will be massively slashed if hen wins handily on St Stephens Day. 

Yes of course. Well, it will surely be much shorter come Boxing Day once it is absolutely certain that the horse runs. I am thinking the current price is probably a steal its 5/2 most places, 3/1 even on sites that won't take any money for it, that seems pretty big to me for this particular horse.