I have given my Heart away...

adamuk

Adam, As someone who is involved in the antiques industry I would like to know your opinion on the BBCs popular afternoon programme Bargain Hunt!. I find it pointless for the following reasons.

A.  They are buying directly from dealers who will surely know what the value of their stock is down to the penny.

B. The so called experts will stand back and watch the contestants overpay for some old shite that's worthless

C. They scream and giggle when they are in profit alerting bidders in the room that they are overbidding.

D. The auction rooms are always half full mostly with sleeping pensioners

E. They never mention the auctioneers, profit would rarely be seen if they had to make the deductions.

Think this programme is past its sell by date now, Paul Laidlaw has a sharp eye but the other experts are brutal.

Just interested what you u think yourself.

Edited by Blacko

5 hours ago, Blacko said:

Adam, As someone who is involved in the antiques industry I would like to know your opinion on the BBCs popular afternoon programme Bargain Hunt!. I find it pointless for the following reasons.

A.  They are buying directly from dealers who will surely know what the value of their stock is down to the penny.

B. The so called experts will stand back and watch the contestants overpay for some old shite that's worthless

C. They scream and giggle when they are in profit alerting bidders in the room that they are overbidding.

D. The auction rooms are always half full mostly with sleeping pensioners

E. They never mention the auctioneers, profit would rarely be seen if they had to make the deductions.

Think this programme is past its sell by date now, Paul Laidlaw has a sharp eye but the other experts are brutal.

Just interested what you u think yourself.

I have been on Bargain Hunt as a seller it's all a con they come round before then "guide" there team to the item. It's a pain in the ass as when they film no customers will come near your stall. So I refuse now if they ask.

A You would be surprised that many don't especially the house clearance boys and girls.

B Yep they will indeed but they do try and steer them in the direction.

C It doesn't matter as someone will pay what they want to pay ultimately.

D Yep most bidding is done online now.

E I believe they do now.

I have slipped up loads and loads and loads over the years we all have if being honest, but in this game that is the only way to learn, also what is good today is not guaranteed to be good in a few months or years, unless it's high quality, but even then fashions change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamuk said:

I have been on Bargain Hunt as a seller it's all a con they come round before then "guide" there team to the item. It's a pain in the ass as when they film no customers will come near your stall. So I refuse now if they ask.

A You would be surprised that many don't especially the house clearance boys and girls.

B Yep they will indeed but they do try and steer them in the direction.

C It doesn't matter as someone will pay what they want to pay ultimately.

D Yep most bidding is done online now.

E I believe they do now.

I have slipped up loads and loads and loads over the years we all have if being honest, but in this game that is the only way to learn, also what is good today is not guaranteed to be good in a few months or years, unless it's high quality, but even then fashions change.

Thanks Adam, i shall watch it today with a changed opinion now LOL. I'm still convinced the experts keep an eye out for the good stuff and buy it for themselves.

3 minutes ago, Blacko said:

Thanks Adam, i shall watch it today with a changed opinion now LOL. I'm still convinced the experts keep an eye out for the good stuff and buy it for themselves.

They probably do I would.

They also film to shows on the same day.

Edited by adamuk
  • Keeemon 1

1 minute ago, adamuk said:

They probably do I would.

They also film to shoes on the same day.

I don't know much about antiques Adam but I do enjoy watching these "type" of tv programmes. I enjoy watching Pawn Stars but it's now so heavily scripted that it's now focused on the characters rather than the items that come into the shop. Another one I enjoy is American Pickers where they scour the back road barns of America looking for vintage items to sell. I should imagine these programmes would appeal to you as well.

28 minutes ago, Blacko said:

I don't know much about antiques Adam but I do enjoy watching these "type" of tv programmes. I enjoy watching Pawn Stars but it's now so heavily scripted that it's now focused on the characters rather than the items that come into the shop. Another one I enjoy is American Pickers where they scour the back road barns of America looking for vintage items to sell. I should imagine these programmes would appeal to you as well.

I don't own a TV mate and haven't done for over 10 years, but I have seen the programmes round friends house etc.