Kinkerbells

I can't really choose a title

It’s obviously not the suicidal persons intention but what an unfair position to put a streamer in and as someone who attempted suicide 5 years ago I can honestly say you don’t think about going to no chat room. You just do it and if you’re talking about it, it’s a problem and you need help but you have no intention of doing it AT THAT POINT

• Like 3
  • Love 1

A friend I went to school with for a very long time woke up one morning and went down for his breakfast. He found his wife bleeding out because she stabbed herself multiple times in the stomach. When he covered her wounds to try and save her life she stabbed her self twice in the neck and made an effort to cut her throat wide open. She was determined to die. 

If someone is gonna do it, they’re gonna do it. My dad tried but he phoned to tell me so that’s pretty much a cry for help. That’s what I’ve found from previous experience. 

I really hope the person gets the help they needed. I’ll never forget the story of the guy that went into internet and people goaded him into committing suicide and he did it live online. People laughed and nobody helped. People are evil sometimes. 

• Like 3

There's been a few posts here implying what people in this situation wouldn't do. Saying they wouldn't go on a forum or they wouldn't tell anyone. There is no normal way in these situations. There is no text book to say what people usually do before they commit or attempt this horrible action. Everyone with these thoughts react different and that's why anyone mentioning suicide whether it be on a stream forum or any social media has to be taken seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Whether they like it or not, streamers do have a duty of care to their viewers. 

Most of us have seen the dark side of gambling loses,  but not everyone gets through the other side.

Banning someone for mentioning it sends the wrong message, time them out and then message them to pass on info to get them the help but to ban someone that is asking for help? You may as well just say go on mate top yer self cause no one gives a feck.

Troll or not, one person taking their life is one too many. The people left behind are the ones that suffer.

Sometimes you just need someone to listen, not judge you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Suicide is the biggest Killer in men under 50 so should never be treated lightly or brushed under the carpet. Having said that it is extremely difficult for a streamer to actually do anything about it. I am a member of several FB mental health pages as well as admin on one. On there we have rules that state if someone comes on talking about suicide and then becomes unresponsive to admin, admin will go onto there profile and A, report to the Police for a welfare check, B, contact a member of the persons family and inform them. Obviously this can not be done on a stream. 

It is a tricky one because the last thing you want is to ban the person and that push them over the edge but at the same time you do not want to have that person flooding chat with talk of suicide. As has been mentioned you will end up with people telling them to just go ahead and do it. So in answer, I am really not sure what a streamer can do, almost feels they can not do right for doing wrong kind of situation.

Finally I just want to add just because someone is feeling suicidal does not mean they will go ahead and actually do it. One of my conditions is that I constantly battle suicidal thoughts but have not attempted to take my life for some time now. I have learned to live with it, and only when I actually get to the point of making plans to end my life do I need to seek help. I guess it is all about having coping strategies. 

@VillaLad Sorry to hear your son is struggling and truly hope he manages to pull through. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My way of think8ng about the police being informed , is they would have to respond to this by sending an officer round to visit said person , and by doing so , could assess the person on the spot , and as I believe , even arrest them if needed and get them the help , whether they wanted it or not , god knows what people r thinking when they do this , but I think immediate help is best , by offering a number to someone , doesnt mean they will take this advice . so its the cops 4 me. Thinking of u and ur family mate .VILLA LAD.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Disgusting ifnit was brushed under the carpet the streamer or if not possible at least a mod should have whispered and tried to chat to them point them in the direction of real help!!

It's good to hear the support everyone has on TGC for people, suicide is a very serious. someone saying they are going to commit suicide, is normally a cry for help, however this does not mean they arent' acually going to do it.

I do believe given a certain set of circumstances it is possible someone could turn up on a stream saying such and truly looking for support as they don't know where else to turn. I hope this person is ok and if I had been there I would have done all in my power to make sure that person was ok.

sometimes people just need someone to talk to and a little bit of help and nudge in the right direction. what springs to mind is the studies done showing most people are only a payday or too away from complete disaster. sometimes people find themselves in a situation of extreme pressure and stress that they are not equipped to deal with and it could easily occur of the straw that broke the camels back in alot of peoples lives. I always liked the quote from "an inspector calls"- We don't live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish.

• Love 2

So many people stay silent thinking about suicide. You may never know a salesman from a neighbor shop is suffering from depression and fighting suicidal thoughts

Edited by iamcreator