Lighty45

Taking on The Royal Mint

I have recently and I do mean recently got into collecting 50p coins. I chose 50p as there are some amazing designs out there. Now the prices of these vary greatly from just face value to some going for around the £100 mark. The rarest being the 2009 Kew Gardens 50p coin that is going daily for £100 on Ebay. Unfortunately due to the rarity of this there are a lot of fakes on the market and although these are fairly easy to spot many people are getting caught out. 

Now this brings us onto the 2019 Peter Rabbit coin, now this is not for circulation and can be brought from the Royal Mint for £10. There is a chap Ian, who runs The Great British Coin Hunt website who has brought 500 of these coins, taken them out of the packaging mixed them in with other coins. This has now made this an extremely rare coin. He has then sent them out to people who have ordered coins from his website and these people are depositing these coins into vending machines in Supermarkets, Parking Meters, Fruit Machines etc. Now he claims this will now be the rarest coin in the Uk as only 500 are circulated. He is predicting that this will now become worth well over £100 when people begin to find them in their change or coin hunts. Now I am not sure how true this is, currently you can pick up un-circulated on Ebay for £4.50. Now if as he predicts the price of said coin hits £100, then why are people not buying all the £4.50 coins roughing them up and mixing with other change to make it a circulated copy and therefore making £95.50 per coin. Like I say if I am extremely new to collecting coins so maybe I am missing something here. So the way I see it is either his estimated price is going to be well of or it will drive the price of both versions up. 

Now he does not deny the reason behind him doing this is purely a publicity stunt. The aim is to drive more business to his website and therefore generate him more sales etc. He is currently in a dispute with the Royal Mint regarding being an Authorized Royal Mint retailer where legal action is being threatened against him. So if that is his main aim I really do not know but taking on the Royal Mint does not seem the greatest idea to me. 

I kind of understand where he is coming from with him saying he does not feel that the Royal Mint should make any coins that are not intended for circulation, even if just 1000 get put into circulation. Even the ones not for circulation have a face value of whatever coin it is, so by just making BUNC ( brilliant un-circulated coin) it is driving the prices up and most collectors simply can not afford them.

Anyway that is what this chap is doing, either way i would not mind in finding either a genuine Kew garden or the 2011 Offside Rule Olympic coin, only need that one to finish my Olympic collection set. 

• Like 1
  • Good Luck! 1

My stepson had/ has loads of the Kew garden ones he started collecting them years ago he was selling them on eBay about 5 years ago for around £70 I don’t know how many he has left if any at all.

Good luck on your hunt 

• Like 1

I too have a small collection of 50p's and £2 coins. Really don't know what to believe when it comes value of them cuz of the ridiculous prices you see them going for on ebay. I guess I'll keep collecting them and just keep them in my drawer. 

• Like 2

I collect debts. Ive collected quite a few over the years, some of them pretty impressive and were worth quite a bit. Unfortunately I dont think Lowell managed to release their potential

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Not coin related about 20 years ago I started collecting whiskey bought this bottle in Ayr 13 years ago for £90 it’s going under the hammer on the 25th sept with a reserve of £850 with a valuation of £1000 to £2000 I also have its brother 30 year old and its sister 25 year old all limited releases from a closed distillery.

F9DD8A7B-8AC3-4608-A320-B7421D2DA3E3.jpeg

• Get In There! 3
  • Love 1

I made more money last year selling 4x rare £2 coins than I made in interest on a 5k ISA, and I made £80 profit on the coins so that tells you how bad the interest rate on the money in the bank is.

I was collecting the 50p but I stopped because I'm getting the feeling the Royal Mint are kicking the arse out of it now, every week they are releasing another series, is it Peter Pan that's coming next?

27 minutes ago, justnathanx said:

If anyone has any gold britannias ill buy them for £800 lol ha ha 

Gold is my bread and butter and the last day or two it's plumetting 😔

Shouldn't really show you this as it's a Trade Only account for Gold it makes sad reading 😣

Screenshot_20190911_181855_com.mastermelt.android.app.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ironically Silver is 39p a gr which is higher than normal.

Sovereigns are on the way down as well.

Screenshot_20190911_182155_com.mastermelt.android.app.jpg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, adamuk said:

Gold is my bread and butter and the last day or two it's plumetting 😔

Is it gonna land butterside down or up 🤔

19 minutes ago, VillaLad said:

Is it gonna land butterside down or up 🤔

All my mates in the Trade say the slide is down. 

I keep (most) of mine as I don't rely on it, but I those that do it for a living are having a few sleepless nights at the moment. Obviously for the normal public with a ring of a few grammes it doesn't matter but when you get up into the KG markets it's a huge swing.

• Like 1

@adamuk my wedding ring is made of Palladium.... didn't realise it was as valuable than 22ct gold. Was just gonna throw it away too.... cheers

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Crunchienut said:

@adamuk my wedding ring is made of Palladium.... didn't realise it was as valuable than 22ct gold. Was just gonna throw it away too.... cheers

Yep sure is buddy those prices are trade IE if I could be bothered to drive to London and take them in, I don't and nobody I know does so we sell to someone who gathers it all up off various shops and goes down once a week. 

So 9ct is £14.12 a gram, most people will buy off punters at £11.00 maybe £11.50 a gram then sell to the person who take it to London for £13.00, making a few pound a gram. 

The problem is say you buy at £11.50 Gold drops which it does to say £11.00 you have lost money, not a lot you say but say your buying 1000 gram a day !

I personally know someone who lost £79000 overnight on Silver and he will never ever in his life get that back.

• Shocked 2

6 minutes ago, justnathanx said:

2012 britannias were 22ct then after that it became alloy gold with silver i think. They are always 1 troy oz

Nope buddy all 22ct GOLD 

Yes but they are all gold buddy and as it's says as "legal tender" exempt from CGT.

Hence why I say buy Sovereigns and hide up!!! 

Bit like Indian Gold which is normally 23ct. Hard as hell to sell so always gets scrapped sadly.

Scrapping Gold is sad at times as they after all are someone's item, but they always get remade into something else.

Any luck shifting big bens or trafalgars i ran a scheme while ago when was buying them to get air miles on a credit card from the royal mint then paying them into santander.

Had their pants down for months (free hotels etc) but then santander stopped accepting them. Then i got a black 12 incher rammed home. Was only able to convert them back by issuing county court claim and paying with coins then applying for a fee remission to game the system as the courts are the only place compelled to accept commemorative coins as legal tender

Edited by justnathanx

Pure Gold you can't make anything with as it would be to soft so always has to have a tiny bit of something else in.

Bit like "White Gold"  no such thing it's mixed with stuff to make lighter or plated with Rhodium and eventually comes off to show the Yellow Gold then you have to get dipped again.

I met a bloke in the pub 2 weeks ago who showed me 4 50 pences he had in his wallet, he told me they were worth 200 quid. I thought he was talking shite tbh, I didn't see kew gardens on any of them, they were also scratched.