Sign in to follow this  
Lighty45

New Venture

Recommended Posts

Good luck in your new venture mate. Anything is possible when we put our minds to it. Wish you nothing but success. Keep us updated on your progress.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lighty45 good luck mate

I did the ebay thing years ago. Found a decent auction site called stockauctions.

Not sure if they are still around, but some good bargains to be had if you timed it right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lighty45 said:

So being on a very limited budget I am starting a new venture. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and one area I started watching a lot of was Ebay resellers. There is some serious money to be made from picking up items from car boot sales and charity shops and reselling on EBay/Amazon. Retail Arbitrage is another area, picking up stock when it’s reduced to clear a particular line and then reselling for a profit. So this is what I’m starting to do. Any money I make from it will be reinvested into new stock until I can regularly have 2/300 items listed. Makes it slightly harder for me only having a moped but looks like I’m the only person in my local area doing it, meaning there’s not huge rushes on stock. Went to get a few bits yesterday and bloody moped died on me. Looking at around 1/200 to repair so unfortunately that will eat into profits this month. 

Don't fancy those odds lol.

In all serious though mate it's tricky with the fees these sites charge and the shipping costs, but good luck to you. You'll need to keep up with what type of things people are looking for online on a month by month basis, what to buy/ what not to buy and what sells/ what doesn't sell, so it'll take a lot of tinkering to develop that sixth sense, but once you're there you could make some cash!

Good luck to you and get ready for some very early mornings as that's where the best bargains are found at car boots.

Image result for alarm going off gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my friends makes some serious money from buying vintage clothing picks them up from carboots and charity shops resells them on a few pages on Facebook and eBay and no joke he makes 2/3 hundred pound a week sometimes more. If he picks up some vintage shoes or trainers he could make hundreds a pair. If you know what your looking out for or what's sort after you can make seriously rediculously amount of money. Good luck.x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can help loads probably so can @Bangers 

 

Send me a message and I will ring you as far far easier.

I help set my mate up a few years ago, he had no idea on what to buy etc so I took him under my wing and he now is on the verge of becoming VAT registered he has done so well, he started with "just" £3,000.

Where in the Country are you? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lighty45 said:

So being on a very limited budget I am starting a new venture. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and one area I started watching a lot of was Ebay resellers. There is some serious money to be made from picking up items from car boot sales and charity shops and reselling on EBay/Amazon. Retail Arbitrage is another area, picking up stock when it’s reduced to clear a particular line and then reselling for a profit. So this is what I’m starting to do. Any money I make from it will be reinvested into new stock until I can regularly have 2/300 items listed. Makes it slightly harder for me only having a moped but looks like I’m the only person in my local area doing it, meaning there’s not huge rushes on stock. Went to get a few bits yesterday and bloody moped died on me. Looking at around 1/200 to repair so unfortunately that will eat into profits this month. 

My dad used to do this. He would go to auctions and buy pallets of stock that Argos etc didn’t want any more and then sell them on car boots. He’d find some absolute shite as expected but the majority of stuff was in full working order. 

Laptops, DVD players, to name but a few. 

 

Wishing you the very best of luck and don’t forget to put a few bargains up on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kinkerbells said:

One of my friends makes some serious money from buying vintage clothing picks them up from carboots and charity shops resells them on a few pages on Facebook and eBay and no joke he makes 2/3 hundred pound a week sometimes more. If he picks up some vintage shoes or trainers he could make hundreds a pair. If you know what your looking out for or what's sort after you can make seriously rediculously amount of money. Good luck.x

Think its @MrUKHackz that hoards vintage clothing, unless he just said his clothes were old?? But I did see in the paper that pair of Nike trainers that sold for 350K this week 😲

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crunchienut said:

Think its @MrUKHackz that hoards vintage clothing, unless he just said his clothes were old?? But I did see in the paper that pair of Nike trainers that sold for 350K this week 😲

And they probably cost £1.50 to make

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

And they probably cost £1.50 to make

without doubt.......madness, they call it madness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mates wife does this and apparently baby clothes is where it's at.....or shop lifted shit 😂

Good luck.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’d be surprised at the cost of some things. I picked up an old vhs/dvd combi that you can record from vhs to dvd and vice versa. Paid £10 and should get £150 for it. Been offered £100 but holding out. Blank VHS and cassette tapes get £15/£20 for a pack of 4. An old  style Olympus camera I forget which one goes for around £150. So defo money to be made. This months been easy as Ebay gave me 1000 free listings. Otherwise Ebay and PayPal feed come in at around 15%

I picked up some Harry Potter glasses that change colour with cold drinks for £2.40 in Sainsbury’s clearance and they go for £10 each

Tomorrow is going to be spent tinkering with the moped in the hope I can fix it. Otherwise it’s venture to the back burner until I can sort transport. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing to remember though HMRC are all seeing eye the all seeing eye.

You will get to a certain level and eBay will make you go to a Business account, then the free listing disappear, you can "earn" discounts as a business seller though for a % off fees etc.

Another thing if you can afford to do it as a Private seller is to keep your best items that you think will do well, because about once a month you will get a £1.00 final value fee offer, I have put a few things on this month that will probably do in excess of £500 so I will pay £5.00 commission instead of £50.00, worth bearing in mind.

I have a "few" accounts as well and always start my listings at £0.99 regardless to get a bidding frenzy going. If you have a few accounts this can help 😏

There is loads more if you need advice let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never really thought about that, got all mine on but it now so maybe worth trying the auction side 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lightynthe besy advice I can give is make sure you keep some funds aside as bad months will happen 

PayPal and ebay fees are a joke you can not sell. On eBay without a PayPal account so u are effectively paying fees twice. 

Seller are not protected well at on eBay so the likelyhood that you will sell a item someone will dispute and you lose the item and money this will probably happen more often than u think. 

 

Packaging is alot dearer than you think boxes etc so u sell something for £10 after u pay fees, boxes, postage and cost of item u would only of made £2-5 for all that work. 

Also photos take a photo with your ebay name next to your item as there is a very good chance that PayPal will freeze ur account at some point wanting proof of merchandise and its usually after u posted it. If u can't provide it ur account could be frozen and you would need to wait 180days to get your money 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, there are loads of scammers.

my mate has a dvd business and sells on amazon and ebay.

A while back he sold someone a limited edition Steelbook for£30 on ebay, anyway the buyer said it didnt arrive and ebay automatically gave the buyer his money back, and when my mate found the guys website (He was selling items out of his garage, that people had to come and pick up, no postage), the very same steelbook was listed on his inventory. 

Ebay did fuck all, 99% of the time they ALWAYS side with the buyer, the sellers are the ones that are screwed over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, centipede said:

yep, there are loads of scammers.

my mate has a dvd business and sells on amazon and ebay.

A while back he sold someone a limited edition Steelbook for£30 on ebay, anyway the buyer said it didnt arrive and ebay automatically gave the buyer his money back, and when my mate found the guys website (He was selling items out of his garage, that people had to come and pick up, no postage), the very same steelbook was listed on his inventory. 

Ebay did fuck all, 99% of the time they ALWAYS side with the buyer, the sellers are the ones that are screwed over

Last year my partner sold something on eBay for about £100 the person  received it and left feedback. About two weeks later disputed that it didn't arrive and as it was not sent recorded won Te dispute... 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good luck @Lighty45 used to be into this a fair bit, but with postage and fees etc, you need to be careful what you buy as realistically if you worked it out as an hourly rate it could be very low.

Got involved recently doing my shop in ASDA , saw Hp Printer cartridges at 2-3 pound, sell all day on ebay between 12 and 20 pounds depending on what sort. 

so you think, great profit? Well after £3 postage, £1 max fee on ebay as an offer, and paypal charges its not excellent. 

However, if your area is very quiet, have a look for the HP cartridges as ASDA may still have some and it is good money, about doubling my money after all the charges

Also of you are car booting etc, get an app such as CEX so you can grasp a rough value, its very easy to get stung  

Edited by DIJACKFROST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always send my stuff Royal Mail Signed for tracked yes a little more but they have always been good when needed.

 

Also if you sell electrical stuff take a photograph of the serial number so people cannot send you a broken item back saying it is your one.

 

I was at my peak sending 100 a parcels a week and got a Parcel Force loyalty card (there free) and it gave me some discount worth having, I know my local postmaster so I used to juts drop the items off all stickered up (get them from the post office) and go in at the end of the week and square up with him.

There is a maximum size large box you can get and I think if under 2kg you can send for £6.90 tracked signed next day.

I used to charge £4.99 postage and swallow the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

😂😂😂 @lisbonlions67

my mate is one of the top sellers of dvds on Amazon, so much so that Amazon holds 30,000 units of his stock for him and when he gets a sale they post out his sales for him themselves.

anyway, he woke up to this message this morning! 

So he reakons someone would steal the disc, and then go out of their way to make a disc shape out of tin foil to put it in the case 😂 was probably a £2 dvd...

and even though Amazon sent it out themselves, the buyer still got a refund!!

 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Edited by centipede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, centipede said:

😂😂😂 @lisbonlions67

my mate is one of the top sellers of dvds on Amazon, so much so that Amazon holds 30,000 units of his stock for him and when he gets a sale they post out his sales for him themselves.

anyway, he woke up to this message this morning! 

So he reakons someone would steal the disc, and then go out of their way to make a disc shape out of tin foil to put it in the case 😂 was probably a £2 dvd...

and even though Amazon sent it out themselves, the buyer still got a refund!!

 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Yeah thats Amazon FBA, they do it for a lot of products but generally the product in question needs to be virtually brand new in condition and the nearer it gets to Christmas the more they reject a lot of stock due to having so much of the same product. Rumour has it Ebay will be bringing out there own version of FBA in the new year. Its fine if you find a good product that sells a lot and has a good mark up.

The way things are going i am probably going to feature more of the arbitrage side of things, example being the Harry Potter glasses i picked up for £2.40 and sold for £10. It is just about hitting the shops when they reduce lines ready for new stock. Like i said from research it looks like i am alone in my area in doing this so could be worth trying. I do intend to still try the boot fair angle as well. Charity Shops are getting harder as they generally check Ebay prices first now so the mark up is not there for a lot of items. 

The downside as i mentioned was transport and the bike being out of operation, had a couple of quotes for around £200-£300 to repair it but just dont have that hanging around, so i would guess for 2/4 weeks until i can sort the transport out this will go on hold.

On a positive note, i did achieve just shy of £300 in sales from Ebay the last week but that money is not being touched as i want that to put back into stock. 

  • Like 1
  • Good Luck! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lighty45 said:

Yeah thats Amazon FBA, they do it for a lot of products but generally the product in question needs to be virtually brand new in condition and the nearer it gets to Christmas the more they reject a lot of stock due to having so much of the same product. Rumour has it Ebay will be bringing out there own version of FBA in the new year. Its fine if you find a good product that sells a lot and has a good mark up.

The way things are going i am probably going to feature more of the arbitrage side of things, example being the Harry Potter glasses i picked up for £2.40 and sold for £10. It is just about hitting the shops when they reduce lines ready for new stock. Like i said from research it looks like i am alone in my area in doing this so could be worth trying. I do intend to still try the boot fair angle as well. Charity Shops are getting harder as they generally check Ebay prices first now so the mark up is not there for a lot of items. 

The downside as i mentioned was transport and the bike being out of operation, had a couple of quotes for around £200-£300 to repair it but just dont have that hanging around, so i would guess for 2/4 weeks until i can sort the transport out this will go on hold.

On a positive note, i did achieve just shy of £300 in sales from Ebay the last week but that money is not being touched as i want that to put back into stock. 

I was a picker packer at amazon years ago while my work refused to let me go go back as they said I was not fit for work.... So I thought fuck it second job 

 

Anyway that was a horrible the targets were unrealistic.. The security checks were crazy metal detects and full body scans before u go in and leave. 

 

But often people would take the trainers off and put them in the box of a new pair and walk out wearing the new trainers. 

 

Or sit on the picking ladders reading the porno books without a care in the world 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this