Sign in to follow this  
Kev40

Time to stop

Good luck Kev. So tough just giving up something that has been with you for so long. Personally, I dont think that 1 poker tournament a week matters, although some may say thats not giving up completely? To me, it is all about controlling it. I learnt long ago I was never going to be able to give up gambling, and although it took a while, I got it under control. Stay strong and I am sure you will be fine 👍

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

@Kev I'm glad you've now made that important decision to quit gambling.

I think you come to a point as I did where you say enough is enough. You just can't continue on that path.

If you can handle the poker without any regrets or urges to play elsewhere then fair enough. It would be a shame to give something up that you really enjoy.

Some might have a different opinion but only you know if you can handle it 

As you know loads of support here and there's always someone around if you need to chat.

Best decision you will ever make. @Kev40 , sorry think I tagged wrong kev in at start!

Edited by david1111
  • Like 3

I think your poker would be fine as you have taking the steps to control all other of Gambling and a £10 buy in isn't alot and you can't keep buying in I assume 

@Andrew Margett would know best I think

All the best mate 

• Like 5

I think my main problem is when i have money. It's like burning a hole in my pocket. I won over 2k a month ago and i just couldn't keep it. I did probably put half to good use but the rest didn't last long. See I'm a very laid back person. I don't want anything. I'm not into flash cars ( don't drive ) or holidays or the latest fancy computers or phones. I'm easy to please. Years ago i went to town said to the missus right I've got £500 I'm off to buy something. After 2 hours in town i couldn't find anything. No i didn't lose it i bought my stepdaughter a playstation with games the whole £500. I work like most people to keep a roof over our head and peace of mind. I do have debts and they are manageable about 8k actually so i suppose i can work to pay them off quicker. I'm a salesman and i could sell sand to the arabs and like most salesman we work to our means. I can bring home easily £800 a week when i put my mind to it but like most salesman when there's money in the bank we don't perform as well. I need to get that part round my head to keep motivated.

4 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

I think my main problem is when i have money. It's like burning a hole in my pocket. I won over 2k a month ago and i just couldn't keep it. I did probably put half to good use but the rest didn't last long. See I'm a very laid back person. I don't want anything. I'm not into flash cars ( don't drive ) or holidays or the latest fancy computers or phones. I'm easy to please. Years ago i went to town said to the missus right I've got £500 I'm off to buy something. After 2 hours in town i couldn't find anything. No i didn't lose it i bought my stepdaughter a playstation with games the whole £500. I work like most people to keep a roof over our head and peace of mind. I do have debts and they are manageable about 8k actually so i suppose i can work to pay them off quicker. I'm a salesman and i could sell sand to the arabs and like most salesman we work to our means. I can bring home easily £800 a week when i put my mind to it but like most salesman when there's money in the bank we don't perform as well. I need to get that part round my head to keep motivated.

Just think of it this way.

Whatever you win you will always give more back. Helps me

• Like 2

Another legend gone out the game 😢. Make sure you stick around Kev to give advice etc . As for having a game of poker , that’s absolutely fine as your a bloody adult Kev . Best of luck champ 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, h0tsh0t87 said:

I think your poker would be fine as you have taking the steps to control all other of Gambling and a £10 buy in isn't alot and you can't keep buying in I assume 

@Andrew Margett would know best I think

All the best mate 

You can re buy in the first hour. Thing is i take about £70 with me and that's it. It's £20 to get home in the taxi and for me it's only the same as a night out and takeaway at my local. I only go to the pub once or twice a wek at the most so whether it's out with the missus or poker night i enjoy both and they both cost the same. I am actually about £500 in about 30 visits to the poker though. They aren't the best players lol.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

Another legend gone out the game 😢. Make sure you stick around Kev to give advice etc . As for having a game of poker , that’s absolutely fine as your a bloody adult Kev . Best of luck champ 

Tbh honest mate i can get a great buzz out of cheering someone elses horses home. I sometimes read the selections on the forum then cheer them on. I know it's not my money but i love to see people win on here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@Rocknrolla what do you think about a sister site TNGC.

The non gambling community

19 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@Kev I'm glad you've now made that important decision to quit gambling.

I think you come to a point as I did where you say enough is enough. You just can't continue on that path.

If you can handle the poker without any regrets or urges to play elsewhere then fair enough. It would be a shame to give something up that you really enjoy.

Some might have a different opinion but only you know if you can handle it 

As you know loads of support here and there's always someone around if you need to chat.

Best decision you will ever make. @Kev40 , sorry think I tagged wrong kev in at start!

Thank you David. I'm positive if you and antonin hadn't done this then neither would i. Got to mention hacko as well as he's a former biam and has stopped recently also.

• Love 1

Good luck @Kev40 

Don't go anywhere as I truly believe all the peeps here will help you no end with their experiences, advise and support.  

But obviously you must do what's best for you. 

• Like 1

That's very encouraging Kev,

I'm not having any dig Kev, but if you want to surrender gambling, you've to give up anything.

I can fully understand you're enjoying your poker night on a saturday night.

With no doubt, it's fun but it's just an excuse to gamble.

If you put £10 on the table, you're still gambling.

It is the same for every addict. You can't give a pint to an alcoolic on a saturday night just because he tells you he's enjoying.

Remember why did you make that decision in the first place Kev ?

Good luck with it and all the best.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, david1111 said:

@Rocknrolla what do you think about a sister site TNGC.

The non gambling community

or even   TEGC The Ex Gambling Community ?? 

• Like 1

Ok here is my Tuppence. 

1. Good decision.

2. Yes play the Saturday Poker as entertainment ....if it stops being fun then stop.

3. Your new strength is in finding out that Money really doesn't make you happy ,if you do not have peace. So not gambling will 

only give you peace if you are truthful to yourself.  From your story nit is clear that gambling fulfilled a need to 

escape , to ease the mind form concentrating on your real life. So now your real life has begun. Set goals , make plans , save money 

for your future , plan new adventures ,and above all realise that you are Happy ....so be Happy . Regret Nothing form your past .

Do not look back in anger at the money you have spent , let it go. Live in the moment. Eat well.  Buy new clothes , even if you don't 

need them . They will make you feel new. 

Above all take this time to be a better friend to your self , take better care of your needs ,and learn to relax without money. Let it sit in the bank, until 

you need it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Won't add to what TGC has already said, great stuff from them. Good luck mate, there's so much more to life then gambling. 

• Like 3

I think playing the poker could be a good thing.  Whilst some will say it is still gambling and so you have not stopped  so is buying a lottery ticket or taking part in a raffle.  If this gives you an outlet then I says its fine as you will be scratching an itch and so be less inclined to be involved with  things that could cost a lot more money.

Not everybody  can just go cold turkey and give up an addiction.   I like yourself have been gambling since I was a young kid  and I am in my mid fifties now and not a day goes past without me gambling in some form or other. I had a serious problem with the slots in my teens and so the way I gamble now is much less damaging to my overall well being.  You have to find what is best for you.

I wish you the best of luck @Kev40   If it does not affect you stay around and participate in the forum and of course  do not be afraid to come on for a bit of support  or ask the guys who have given up totally for a bit of advice 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, philinvicta said:

I think playing the poker could be a good thing.  Whilst some will say it is still gambling and so you have not stopped  so is buying a lottery ticket or taking part in a raffle.  If this gives you an outlet then I says its fine as you will be scratching an itch and so be less inclined to be involved with  things that could cost a lot more money.

Not everybody  can just go cold turkey and give up an addiction.   I like yourself have been gambling since I was a young kid  and I am in my mid fifties now and not a day goes past without me gambling in some form or other. I had a serious problem with the slots in my teens and so the way I gamble now is much less damaging to my overall well being.  You have to find what is best for you.

I wish you the best of luck @Kev40   If it does not affect you stay around and participate in the forum and of course  do not be afraid to come on for a bit of support  or ask the guys who have given up totally for a bit of advice 

Thanks mate. I'm definitely not going anywhere. I do enjoy the poker. I look forward to it. I don't go every week but for some reason i have a totally different mindset. Of course i want to win but i pretty much don't care if i lose. I definitely see it as entertainment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Antonin said:

That's very encouraging Kev,

I'm not having any dig Kev, but if you want to surrender gambling, you've to give up anything.

I can fully understand you're enjoying your poker night on a saturday night.

With no doubt, it's fun but it's just an excuse to gamble.

If you put £10 on the table, you're still gambling.

It is the same for every addict. You can't give a pint to an alcoolic on a saturday night just because he tells you he's enjoying.

Remember why did you make that decision in the first place Kev ?

Good luck with it and all the best.

Absolutely this

• Love 1