Rocknrolla

How to deal with bad beats?

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Rocknrolla said:

Yeh when I think like that it helps.

For me though some of these trips are literally all for just one or two tourneys so just makes the bad beat worse as I can't just go home. Plus the missus doesn't understand poker so if I come back worse off she just thinks I'm crap and just wasting money!!

My missus thought that then i told her what I'd won in last two tournaments is more than double the last 10 I've lost in. I'm not saying she's seeing sense but I'm definitely getting there with her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Del said:

Yeah, my first attempt lol, Brussels 2015, 

Nice one mate!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very hard to take when you do everything right but then all that work is ruined by one piece of luck! I played snooker from a young age and the amount of times I lost to some crazy fluke would drive me mad but you have to use the go to excuse for most sports....it should even itself out eventually....You must be due a month of solid 1000x wins on these bloody slots Rolla! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rocknrolla said:

Thanks mate, going to take some time out so needed a bit of reading cheers

 

For the cost of them, you only need to pick up one or too tidbits to make them worthwhile 🙂

I know Barry through another forum, and he used to be the top bloke at Poker Strategy back in teh day. They released a  second book, which was also very well received, iirc.

That's the upside of only playing when I'm away. If I get smashed up the wrongun in the poker tourneys, at least I'm in Vegas 🍾 🤡

It always turns eventually, so just got to keep cracking on. Good luck, mate!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That video with the Scottish lad stuck on the roof reminds me of the episode of Rab C Nesbitt, when he went to visit family down in London. They added subtitles so the southern people could understand them. 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been concentrating on playing live poker over the last 3 weeks and overall I’m a good couple of grand up, but... I seem to be getting a lot more bad beats than ever before.

For example, I’ve not long been in from my local cardroom after finishing 6th and 5 places were paid. After grinding away, the chips go in, Ive got AK, a guy with a medium stack has A 10, I’ve got him covered, the board comes KQJ, blank, that’s me tilted, after a while longer the same guy insta calls my 3 bet all in with AJ, myself and another guy are all in with AQ each, yep, a jack on the river! Knocked 2 of us out with the case jack it turns out. 

I’m getting it in good and think I’m playing pretty well tbh, But the last few weeks I’ve gone out of a fair few tournaments with the best of it pre, A 10 vs A 2 and shit like that. I know it sort of evens itself out but it’s a fucking bitter pill to swallow sometimes when you’ve outplayed someone and they end up a complete luckbox!

rant over 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, o0ORyaanO0o said:

I’ve been concentrating on playing live poker over the last 3 weeks and overall I’m a good couple of grand up, but... I seem to be getting a lot more bad beats than ever before.

For example, I’ve not long been in from my local cardroom after finishing 6th and 5 places were paid. After grinding away, the chips go in, Ive got AK, a guy with a medium stack has A 10, I’ve got him covered, the board comes KQJ, blank, that’s me tilted, after a while longer the same guy insta calls my 3 bet all in with AJ, myself and another guy are all in with AQ each, yep, a jack on the river! Knocked 2 of us out with the case jack it turns out. 

I’m getting it in good and think I’m playing pretty well tbh, But the last few weeks I’ve gone out of a fair few tournaments with the best of it pre, A 10 vs A 2 and shit like that. I know it sort of evens itself out but it’s a fucking bitter pill to swallow sometimes when you’ve outplayed someone and they end up a complete luckbox!

rant over 😂

I once got my all in called by a guy with A5   after I shoved all in over his raise  I had pocket 10s   in a local live satellite  for a WSOP Vegas package  ,   He said I was pretty sure that my one of my cards was live !!

  • Puke 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, try to do some other things. Watch a movie or go for a walk. Just take a break from this for a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is hard in Poker. When you have grinded for 11 hours you believe that you have earned the right to make the money ....and your stack size becomes very important....then someone calls your AA with 97off and hits a straight ..... and you're out on the street. 

Its not nice , Poker can be cruel...... But what if you are the man with A7 calling kk and you hit on the flop ....then you are happy and he is out the door. 

Its simply the huge effort appearing to be worthless ...... so place some value on your play and accept that whatever the outcome your day will come ....... 

and @Rocknrolla remember Unibet Dublin , when you bluffed  like a lunatic (in the heads up play at the final table)...  and got away with it !!! 

You must take the knocks because  the victory when it comes is twice as sweet. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2019 at 22:14, Jok3st3r said:

Are the some nothing type of tourneys necessary? Maybe save it for the bigger ones where the luck would be more welcome 🤔

@Rocknrolla A very good point.... energy wasted on a small tourney is better saved for a really big one. In fact cut out all tourneys below a certain level and concentrate on having rested for at least two days before a real money land based tourney..... because physical stamina and rest pay huge dividends in live poker..... The really rich poker players always limit the amount of time played in a week ...to concentrate on the value .......  There is a direct relationship between losing and lack of rest.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ever considered selling a stake of your 'action'  for example a 5k buy-in  you put up 2.5k (50%)   then sell the other 50% off in say 5x10% (£500)   

 

this way the beats won't feel as bad and you can play with more freedom because if you lose it's not all your money gone as well as your time.  You'll probably become a chip leader more readily. I think most of the top players do this. The only downside is that if you win you gotta split the win but hey average 5k buy-in tourney probably pays the winner 250k or something crazy like that..   what do you think?  

Id love to buy a stake of your tourney especially since you have won before, I know I'm many light years away from ever winning a tourney. LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, blackdust said:

ever considered selling a stake of your 'action'  for example a 5k buy-in  you put up 2.5k (50%)   then sell the other 50% off in say 5x10% (£500)   

 

this way the beats won't feel as bad and you can play with more freedom because if you lose it's not all your money gone as well as your time.  You'll probably become a chip leader more readily. I think most of the top players do this. The only downside is that if you win you gotta split the win but hey average 5k buy-in tourney probably pays the winner 250k or something crazy like that..   what do you think?  

Id love to buy a stake of your tourney especially since you have won before, I know I'm many light years away from ever winning a tourney. LOL 

It is somewhat Naive to buy a stake in @Rocknrolla at the moment since he is only just beginning on his poker journey....and probably would be mortified to lose someone else's money at a crucial stage of any big tournament...and would prefer the freedom to make his own mistakes . Most professional players have been on the circuit many years and will be happy to sell a portion of their action .  Its quite big business n the USA and there are bespoke websites that offer action. 

Edited by Solario333
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

It is somewhat Naive to buy a stake in @Rocknrolla at the moment since he is only just beginning on his poker journey....and probably would be mortified to lose someone else's money at a crucial stage of any big tournament...and would prefer the freedom to make his own mistakes . Most professional players have been on the circuit many years and will be happy to sell a portion of their action .  Its quite big business n the USA and there are bespoke websites that offer action. 

Plus some of us well mainly me think we are equally as good as paul. If your talking about naive then that certainly is. I know in a heads up against him he'd bully me off the table. 😂  My record in biam v tgc tournaments speak for itself. 4 tournaments entered prize money zero. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

Plus some of us well mainly me think we are equally as good as paul. If your talking about naive then that certainly is. I know in a heads up against him he'd bully me off the table. 😂  My record in biam v tgc tournaments speak for itself. 4 tournaments entered prize money zero. 

Live poker s very different to online poker , especially on Jokestars ... No-one can be consistent when they are playing against the other players and a computer managed outcome.  Live poker is only way to play. And if I do resume my poker it will be live.  I am a good player but have limitations on my game.  I am very like Paul, I will go for it ..... and pay the price. Glory or bust. That said I am good at cash and bad at longer tournaments.

Edited by Solario333
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

Live poker s very different to online poker , especially on Jokestars ... No-one can be consistent when they are playing against the other players and a computer managed outcome.  Live poker is only way to play. And if I do resume my poker it will be live.  I am a good player but have limitations on my game.  I am very like Paul, I will go for it ..... and pay the price. Glory or bust. That said I am good at cash and bad at longer tournaments.

I'm other way. I hate cash games but get me in a tournament i can be an absolute nightmare to eliminate. I have ultimate patience and can easily fold every hand in an hour. I've got right off online and much prefer live as well as having a much better record playing live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

I'm other way. I hate cash games but get me in a tournament i can be an absolute nightmare to eliminate. I have ultimate patience and can easily fold every hand in an hour. I've got right off online and much prefer live as well as having a much better record playing live.

I have patience in tourneys but haven't found an online site that is truthful.  So i will be in London to play every so often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Solario333 said:

I have patience in tourneys but haven't found an online site that is truthful.  So i will be in London to play every so often.

Neither have i with online. I think we've all got horror stories. I know we all get bad beats but my record online is losing with pocket kings 7 times in a row not once against aces. The odds on that must be astronomical.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kev40 said:

Neither have i with online. I think we've all got horror stories. I know we all get bad beats but my record online is losing with pocket kings 7 times in a row not once against aces. The odds on that must be astronomical.

Rigged poker tables are ubiquitous online.  The game I love has been trashed by greedy computer geeks and overstuffed oligarchs. 

Give me a private table in a  club any day....  Of course some of the london poker tables are crooked too !!!  But by enlarge live poker is the only way to go... sad but true.

Edited by Solario333
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now