How to deal with bad beats?

Rocknrolla

I'm on a current run of not being able to leave the bad beat and suckout city and every time its hurts and tilts that little bit more!

I know its percentages and they are inevitable but for me as a gambler they are hard to take! Recently in London I lost on the river after 11 hours of grinding and 10mins of day1 to go to a 9% outer. I'm not going to list all the bad beats recently but that one hurt mainly as I would have been near the chip lead and just all the effort, hassle, good plays and time I put into these trips to get nothing out. 

I've looked up many techniques in how to help deal with bad beats and I think they would work for a lot of people but not those who aren't professional players or have that gamble gene in them. So I just wanted to share what method of poker tilt therapy I used recently that helped somewhat.

After receiving the river blow I got up said well done and good luck to the table, walked quickly but calmly past the slots and roulette and out the front door. Took a few breaths and walked back to the hotel slowly analysing my days play. I ordered some junk food (no alcohol) and had a movie ready. Before the movie I watched some funny youtube vids (links below) that I can't help but laugh to due to the reactions and laughing of the people filming.

Anyway just thought I'd post it as nothing else has really ever worked for me and also to keep the clips of the vids in one place and maybe add to them.

• Agree 1
  • Keeemon 4

The best thing to get over the pain of a bad beat is to spend more time with the family. Book a centreparks weekend with the kids. I will take Mrs Rolla out to Malta for a short break giving u Daddy time with the young uns. My kindness is my weakness ???

P.'s.  Remember to tell her to stick the gold card in her handbag ???

• Love 1

For me nothing really helped until I just got used to them and accept them as a part of the game, It still hurts when they happen a lot over a short period of time but I am just like "meh fuck it I cant help it or change it so why bother and tilt over it". You just have to find something that works for you I guess.

• Keeemon 2

Bad beats are hard to take and it is best to do as you say and walk off and find a quiet place for a while to come to terms with it.   One of our local players was in a hand several years ago in the  Irish Open and got done by a one outer on the river  by Neil Channing and he went on to win it.  Channing does not even remember the hand.    I think this is the one thing about players as they always remember the bad beats they get and forget the ones they hand out for instance if that 9% hand had held up you would have forgotten it quickly.   If you hear players they always talk about bad beats they feel they had but you seldom hear a bloke say I really gave a guy a bad beat,      I find on pokerstars that it is very hard to take when you make the right call and have a guy dominated  or some guy shoves with crap and you call with the good hand and get totally sucked out on.  You really want to get your bad beats by small stacks and not guys that can take you out.   This is why there is always a degree of luck required to go deep  in any tournament.  It is surprising how many tournaments that the bankrolled players will play just to go deep and get that good payday.

Also I think some people vastly overrate what a bad beat really is   for example if they have AK  against two random lower cards  as opposed to the one or two outer. Also it is always the hand that knocks them out that sticks with players and you have to find a  way of moving on from it quickly especially if you are playing more than one tournament online at the same time.

If you are going to keep playing a lot of poker with a hope of making a go of it @Rocknrolla.it is something you will need to find your own way of dealing with it.

• Keeemon 2

Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo.

Mental Game of Poker by Barry Carter & Jared Tendler.

Give both of those a spin, Paul.

It's part and parcel of the game, and the only thing you can do is make sure you keep making the right decisions.

Easier to overcome online, as it's much easier to put in the required volume to iron out the variance.,

Edited by Marky147
  • Like 1
  • Keeemon 1

I get lost for hours on Youtube watching random funny shit, laughter is definately good for the soul. For me if I'm stressed out generally whether its from a gambling loss / badbeat or work etc etc i pick up my rods and disappear for a day. Nothing relaxes me more or helps me take my mind off things better than chilling out by the lake, sometimes catching is purely a bonus. Got into cycling last year (mountain bike, none of that lycra gear!) and that has been great to let off steam with. 

• Keeemon 4

It's good that you have found something to help, if only a little.

The fact you walked passed all the usual temptations is a positive thing considering the way you were feeling, so kudos for that. 

Things will turn around for you, it has to even out at some point doesn't it? ?

If all else fails I like @Blampy suggestion. ?

• Keeemon 1

About 12 months ago i started to play at our local rileys snooker hall once a week. After been in the first 3 places nearly 10 weeks running which gave a nice profit i began to lose with the most ridiculous bad beats week after week. Feb this year I'd had enough after yet another ridiculous tournament i politely shook my opponents hand said thanks for the game and walked straight out and without even thinking went straight to the arcade and blew £700 in an hour. The tournament is only £10 buy in with prize money approx £350 split between the first 3 players and I'm there ramming 20's in a shit slot with an rtp of 90%. Absolute stupidly. I'd had enough of constantly doing the right thing week after week and getting beat when been a huge favourite. I took a break for a while and went back 2 weeks ago. I won on Saturday and won 2 weeks ago not going the week in between. I suppose my point is i was stupid the bad beat wound me up enough to lose £700 but also i do firmly believe if i play the right way i will be up in the long run. We just have to take it on the chin. I know that's hard to do but it's the bigger picture we should be looking at. I'm well up from all the weeks I've played there and that's what i should be concentrating on and not just one week of been done when 80% plus favourite. Btw it's even more difficult not to go tilt mode when I've had 5 or 6 pints lol.?

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 3

7 hours ago, Blacko said:

The best thing to get over the pain of a bad beat is to spend more time with the family. Book a centreparks weekend with the kids. I will take Mrs Rolla out to Malta for a short break giving u Daddy time with the young uns. My kindness is my weakness ???

P.'s.  Remember to tell her to stick the gold card in her handbag ???

Haha your all heart!!

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Marky147 said:

Elements of Poker by Tommy Angelo.

Mental Game of Poker by Barry Carter & Jared Tendler.

Give both of those a spin, Paul.

It's part and parcel of the game, and the only thing you can do is make sure you keep making the right decisions.

Easier to overcome online, as it's much easier to put in the required volume to iron out the variance.,

Thanks mate, going to take some time out so needed a bit of reading cheers

• Keeemon 1

4 hours ago, Player1173 said:

I get lost for hours on Youtube watching random funny shit, laughter is definately good for the soul. For me if I'm stressed out generally whether its from a gambling loss / badbeat or work etc etc i pick up my rods and disappear for a day. Nothing relaxes me more or helps me take my mind off things better than chilling out by the lake, sometimes catching is purely a bonus. Got into cycling last year (mountain bike, none of that lycra gear!) and that has been great to let off steam with. 

Fishing sounds like the perfect getaway, sometimes even just thinking about relaxes me 

• Keeemon 1

2 hours ago, Jok3st3r said:

It's good that you have found something to help, if only a little.

The fact you walked passed all the usual temptations is a positive thing considering the way you were feeling, so kudos for that. 

Things will turn around for you, it has to even out at some point doesn't it? ?

If all else fails I like @Blampy suggestion. ?

I would like to think and hope it does but what I've often found is when I get lucky its just some nothing type of tourney using up my points or something ha!

• Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, Kev40 said:

About 12 months ago i started to play at our local rileys snooker hall once a week. After been in the first 3 places nearly 10 weeks running which gave a nice profit i began to lose with the most ridiculous bad beats week after week. Feb this year I'd had enough after yet another ridiculous tournament i politely shook my opponents hand said thanks for the game and walked straight out and without even thinking went straight to the arcade and blew £700 in an hour. The tournament is only £10 buy in with prize money approx £350 split between the first 3 players and I'm there ramming 20's in a shit slot with an rtp of 90%. Absolute stupidly. I'd had enough of constantly doing the right thing week after week and getting beat when been a huge favourite. I took a break for a while and went back 2 weeks ago. I won on Saturday and won 2 weeks ago not going the week in between. I suppose my point is i was stupid the bad beat wound me up enough to lose £700 but also i do firmly believe if i play the right way i will be up in the long run. We just have to take it on the chin. I know that's hard to do but it's the bigger picture we should be looking at. I'm well up from all the weeks I've played there and that's what i should be concentrating on and not just one week of been done when 80% plus favourite. Btw it's even more difficult not to go tilt mode when I've had 5 or 6 pints lol.?

Yeh when I think like that it helps.

For me though some of these trips are literally all for just one or two tourneys so just makes the bad beat worse as I can't just go home. Plus the missus doesn't understand poker so if I come back worse off she just thinks I'm crap and just wasting money!!

• Keeemon 1

Almost exactly the same happened to me in Hippodrome, London. My pocket Queens versus bullying chip leader A, !0 of hearts. Flop was Ace, Queen , 3 one of them being a heart. Managed to get all in with him only to see heart, heart -  turn and river. This was 2nd day and was getting close to being in the money, with this possible double up I was going deep. Anyway it stopped me travelling to play tournys for a while , but I came back stronger after a 6 month lay off I think.

26 minutes ago, Rocknrolla said:

I would like to think and hope it does but what I've often found is when I get lucky its just some nothing type of tourney using up my points or something ha!

Are the some nothing type of tourneys necessary? Maybe save it for the bigger ones where the luck would be more welcome ?

7 minutes ago, Del said:

Almost exactly the same happened to me in Hippodrome, London. My pocket Queens versus bullying chip leader A, !0 of hearts. Flop was Ace, Queen , 3 one of them being a heart. Managed to get all in with him only to see heart, heart -  turn and river. This was 2nd day and was getting close to being in the money, with this possible double up I was going deep. Anyway it stopped me travelling to play tournys for a while , but I came back stronger after a 6 month lay off I think.

Yeh I think breaks are a good idea! Is that a wpt trophy I see??

Just now, Jok3st3r said:

Are the some nothing type of tourneys necessary? Maybe save it for the bigger ones where the luck would be more welcome ?

No not really, I have cut a lot of them out but then I'll find I get a suckout to then have almost no chips and only then do the cards flow in my favour ha

3 minutes ago, Rocknrolla said:

No not really, I have cut a lot of them out but then I'll find I get a suckout to then have almost no chips and only then do the cards flow in my favour ha

Chip and a chair is all you need, so they say anyway, pretty sure it's not that easy though.

I hope your luck changes ?

• Like 1