Sign in to follow this  
karaing

Cash games requiring more skills?

Hello,
I've been a cash game player for a few months, but never played tourneys/sng.
I've read here that cash games are considered ``harder'' or ``more skill based'' than tourneys/sng.
In what sens? In the sens that tourneys/sng are more luck based?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, karaing said:

Hello,
I've read here that cash games are considered ``harder'' or ``more skill based'' than tourneys/sng.

people tend to go all in a lot more in tournaments with terrible hands to build a stack but both take skill 

45 minutes ago, karaing said:

Hello,

Because blinds go up there is more straightforward situations in tournaments and more coinflips etc. etc. so its a little bit more "luck" involved at least on the short term, there are more bad players playing tournaments  since the field is bigger and you dont have as much regulars on the tables. In cash game you mostly player deeper stack 100bb+ and so situations are more complicated and harder to figure out what play is more profitable in a way and you dont have a lot of push or fold situations etc. you have more room to make mistakes because regulars will try to exploit you. If you win a tournament you will win big amount but in cash games you will have to win a lot of hands to make that kind of money so you have to crush constantly and play a lot to make the same amount of money.
There are a lot more things but I am not very good with words and explaining so this is the short version of just few points why is cash game harder at least a different beast.

Cash game and mtt play are totally different in my opinion. People play alot looser on cash than in mtts. I play both and when sat at cash I have to change my game alot. I tend to play hands I normally wouldn't play and make alot more calls than I would in a tourney. Every one is different but I play alot different in cash than in tournaments. I'm a Omaha player so things can get a bit messy on a cash table but generally people have 2 different types of play on cash and in tourney's.

• Like 2

The main difference is  that cash game players can reload easily and just like in a rebuy tournament people will play a lot looser.  In a tournament if you lose a race you are out in a cash game you just reload.   As with all poker games they have their own variances including what level of blinds etc you are playing at.

• Like 2

In the sense that your decisions get easier as the blinds get higher. You have less room to play post flop. In cash games you are (or should be) 100BB+ deep at all times, making post flop play a key skill.
No matter how skilled you are, https://www.sitago.com has skills games perfectly suited for them.
You can try it.

• Face Palm! 2

It's all situation dependent, can't really answer the original question.

Both take different skills. Also depends on what you define as "harder" ...

Is playing for 3-4 days in a big tournament easy for you? Have you got the patience and the ability not to tilt. 

What's your experience like? Have you got a good talking game? can you read players well? Can you work out the maths consistently? Are you loose? Do you have the ability to rebuy?

Inevitably some players will (generally) probably find they are stronger or better suited at one game, and make arguments for one of the other being harder.