Ladbrokes

lucy_tgc

The councils don't give a fuck about anything but the rates the bookies pay them to have their shops within the community. I thought there would have been mass closures after the FOBt reduction but they seem to be holding firm at the moment. I live in a town called Airdrie, a once thriving community that has now been reduced to a mecca of bookies and sunbed parlours, I find it all very depressing.

• Agree 2
  • Keeemon 2

1 hour ago, Markymark said:

In Glasgow, walk out the train station 4 bookies within 30yards with another 3 within a 100yards, 7 bookies in 130yards, ridiculous!!  When the fun stops, open another shop. 

It's exactly the same here in Leicester but for the life of me i never thought it would start happening in the surrounding districts

• Keeemon 1

2 hours ago, Rocknrolla said:

In Winton there used to be 3 Corals within 50metres of each other?! Now it’s just two and the other one turned into a Betfred! But yes it’s to get round the fobt regulations

2 hours ago, Brownman24 said:

In Romford you never use to be able to move without seeing a corals

It all comes down to corruption and greed i think ?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Solario333 said:

Yes I agree but Vaz is a particularly  evil man and as with many politicians power has allowed them to do as they please .... for an MP to be using rent boys is disgraceful, and to be pumping them with drugs is beneath contempt.

Only reason he has not been ousted is because he knows all of the dirty secrets the others get upto, you scratch my back i scratch yours sort of thing

I'll add a bit of debate to this. I did some local government and private work on this sort of thing.

Up to about 2 years ago (so about 20 years before) bookies used to fall within the 'retail' bracket of shops. There was allowances to change shops between different types of retail without needing consent (councils, governments or other). So any Greg's / new look / offie / newsagents / primark / tesco / Waterstones etc etc could of changed overnight to a bookies. 

I think as the town centres (most of them) are in decline bookies just jumped on this and that's why we are we are in terms of No.s of shops. 

Legislation changed a year or 2 back so they need consent now, which may slow things down a fair bit, but the existing ones can't be reduced (unless something news introduced) 

1 hour ago, lucy_tgc said:

It's exactly the same here in Leicester but for the life of me i never thought it would start happening in the surrounding districts

Its where a majority of their clientele is. Rich folk don't go to betting shops, ask Denman. .......he gets someone to go for him.

Even I've heard of that Vaz guy, gives corrupt politicians a bad name lol

• Love 2

8 hours ago, lucy_tgc said:

I've never seen 2 of the same branded bookies so close in one area especially seeing as it's just a normal housing estate. Even in the city centre they are a little bit more spread out

Birmingham City Centre opposite New Street Station, there were 2 ladbrokes next door to each other, one shut down just before the new law came in

• Keeemon 2

7 hours ago, MrUKHackz said:

We have a total of 2 Ladbrokes in the whole of Cornwall :Mutley:

You're really not missing out on anything, they are a terrible bookmaker lol.

• The latest reports say that the fobts are doing slightly worse than predicted at around 43% down.  They were expected to be down around 40%  however the big thing is that the money has not been channeled to other betting options although Virtual racing is up in some shops.  I expect a lot of shops to close when they can get out of their leases.
  • It also looks like the bigger players are not using them at all and I imagine have moved online.   I would expect that there will be people on lesser incomes who are still in trouble even though they are at the reduced stakes as you can still go through a good bit of money at the smaller stakes
  • Like 1
  • Keeemon 2

13 hours ago, philinvicta said:
  • The latest reports say that the fobts are doing slightly worse than predicted at around 43% down.  They were expected to be down around 40%  however the big thing is that the money has not been channeled to other betting options although Virtual racing is up in some shops.  I expect a lot of shops to close when they can get out of their leases.
  • It also looks like the bigger players are not using them at all and I imagine have moved online.   I would expect that there will be people on lesser incomes who are still in trouble even though they are at the reduced stakes as you can still go through a good bit of money at the smaller stakes

I've never played them so don't really understand the workings tbh but it's sounds like a huge percentage to be down.

33 minutes ago, Jok3st3r said:

I've never played them so don't really understand the workings tbh but it's sounds like a huge percentage to be down.

Thankfully they are not allowed in Irish shops at all.   I was also surprised that Paddy Power who came out in favour of a stake reduction because they knew it would damage their opposition more than themselves were one of the first ones out with a way around the reduction.  It was a good job that the gambling commission made them stop.

A lot of the shops were only open because of the restrictions on the number of FOBTs per shop and the amount of income they could generate.  A lot of shops were only viable because of the income from these machines.  It is likely  that several thousand shops will close over the next couple of years as the bookmakers are unlikely to find a way to replace the money they generated.   As much as people hate the sight of so many of these shops on the High Street it is hard to think of any business that will replace them as so many retail operations cannot make a profit from these sites.

• Keeemon 1

1 hour ago, o0ORyaanO0o said:

Southend high street there’s a coral, paddy power and a Hills in the space of 4 shops, then there’s another coral, betfred and a ladbrokes. Absolutely disgusting, what message does that’s send to kids walking past there with their parents 

Yeah it's like that in every city i think, But why it surprised me so much is because i never expected them to start putting shops basically next door to each other so far away from the city centre

5 minutes ago, justnathanx said:

Hacks do you live in Cornwall.  If so very jealous it's beautiful. Do you go to Eden project much?

Apparently he live in the hood in Cornwall, if there's such a place! I doubt he's heard of the Eden Project.....?

Guest centipede

in Penzance theres 3 bookies, all within 20 yeard of each other. 2 right next door to each other, and one on the opposite side of the road.

only ever have about 5 regulars in each shop most of the day doing the horses and all the other gambling, but the FOBTS usually have a constant stream, of people all through the day.

Apart from having to deal with people kicking off when they lose money (mainly FOBT related, but is all gambling related losses), being a cashier at a bookie must be one of the easiest jobs around these days in terms of workload. One of my friends works in a bookies and he says sometimes he literally has no actual customers from 4pm-10pm when they close, apart from the occassional FOBT player, which he doesnt have to do hardly anything work related

I travel through to Newcastle for Hospital appointments and the other day I noticed a Paddy Power and a Betfred right beside each other on the Westgate Road. You would think there would be rules to stop this but obviously not. ? The days of multiple shops in city centres will be numbered now due to the FOBT regs. A mate of mine who works in my local Corals said takings from the machines have gone through the floor. People are playing the odd slot but roulette hardly gets touched. Where all four machines were being played most of the day before the changes, he said you are lucky if two machines are taken. Not looking good for their future. ?