What to do about racist abuse

Markymark

Was totally disgusted with the racist abuse towards the English players last night. I've posted before about this, but I do believe its getting worse. Its seems to be acceptable in some foreign countries to behave this way, don't get me wrong, I feel the raciest abuse is creeping back in British football, and something has to be done. Am fed up with Fifa/FA thinking a few slogans around the ground is enough, time to start deducting points or playing in empty stadiums, they won't of course, a small fine will be issued and fingers will be stuck firmly back into ears. We as fans have to stand up and be counted, next time your at a game and some knob head starts his vile abuse point him out to the stewards or even better give him a good hard kick in the nuts(don't do that last one, just want to do it). Can you imagine going to your work and being subjected to abuse just because of the colour of your skin!! Ffs!!

Rant over. What should Fifa/FA do about this?

• Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 3

Racist abuse is horrible 100% anyone who is judging anyone by the colour of there skin should be punished 

but i I do feel sometimes it's being over dramatic ( that's probally the wrong word to use ) but I recently read sterling saying that the press are over critical of black players etc which in my mind a load of rubbish - if sterling is pish they say he's pish not cause he's black because he's played bad . 

If ur in a top team in England or any country in the world you are going to get slautered in the press no matter your skin colour - look at Ronaldo , Rooney , beckham , Fellani, fletcher ( when at Man U ) , morata, torress . And hundreds more they got a lot more negative press than sterling has 

so for him to make like hes he's being victimised because of the colour of his skin annoyed me so much. He is a player who is on big money and hasn't been performaning as a big money player should in the past few years it's as simple as that. 

• Keeemon 1

It's an unfortunate problem in third world mentality countries. until their governments and sporting bodies clamp down on it, it will continue. I hope it's the minority, educating the next generation is the key to getting rid of it for good. It will pass with time as the world is rapidly becoming multicultural in its outlook. Then they will probably hate people for other reasons??

Rasism.jpg

• Puke! 1

1 hour ago, h0tsh0t87 said:

Racist abuse is horrible 100% anyone who is judging anyone by the colour of there skin should be punished 

but i I do feel sometimes it's being over dramatic ( that's probally the wrong word to use ) but I recently read sterling saying that the press are over critical of black players etc which in my mind a load of rubbish - if sterling is pish they say he's pish not cause he's black because he's played bad . 

If ur in a top team in England or any country in the world you are going to get slautered in the press no matter your skin colour - look at Ronaldo , Rooney , beckham , Fellani, fletcher ( when at Man U ) , morata, torress . And hundreds more they got a lot more negative press than sterling has 

so for him to make like hes he's being victimised because of the colour of his skin annoyed me so much. He is a player who is on big money and hasn't been performaning as a big money player should in the past few years it's as simple as that. 

The newspaper coverage of Raheem Stirling has been absolutely disgusting. It had nothing to do with his footballing ability and all to do with racist old white men's perception of young black men

• Keeemon 1

Guest Chair Slots
42 minutes ago, Markymark said:

I really hope not mate ?

It's just something that will sadly always be there. No amount of money or education will eradicate it completely.

And these foreign countries where there is probably no money or education about the matter I have even less hope for.

Racist abuse is present at most football matches in almost every country. Unfortunately it won’t ever stop and there isn’t a huge amount that can be done. What can you do? Playing matches behind closed doors is a short term punishment but you can’t do that for every match. There are far worse things going on to be fair that haven’t been tackled like the amount of stabbings at matches. It is commonplace in Italy yet FIFA or UEFA haven’t done a thing. If this was the case in our country we would be banned from Europe. I do think the racism isssue has been blown out of proportion. It is human nature to pick on certain characteristics and make fun of people. It doesn’t make it right at all but most of it is just name calling and not a vicious, hatred fuelled attack. I have witnessed many crowd chants over the years about various players....most of them white and for the amount these footballers earn for their talents I would think a bit of name calling is a small price to pay. I am not condoning racism whatsoever but I think in the bigger picture there are worse things going on. ?

• Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, PATTY1974 said:

Racist abuse is present at most football matches in almost every country. Unfortunately it won’t ever stop and there isn’t a huge amount that can be done. What can you do? Playing matches behind closed doors is a short term punishment but you can’t do that for every match. There are far worse things going on to be fair that haven’t been tackled like the amount of stabbings at matches. It is commonplace in Italy yet FIFA or UEFA haven’t done a thing. If this was the case in our country we would be banned from Europe. I do think the racism isssue has been blown out of proportion. It is human nature to pick on certain characteristics and make fun of people. It doesn’t make it right at all but most of it is just name calling and not a vicious, hatred fuelled attack. I have witnessed many crowd chants over the years about various players....most of them white and for the amount these footballers earn for their talents I would think a bit of name calling is a small price to pay. I am not condoning racism whatsoever but I think in the bigger picture there are worse things going on. ?

Your probably right that it won't stop completely, but it would be a sad day if we stopped trying. There are worse things going on, but a lot of them started with racism and bigotry, pick any minority, start calling them names, pointing out there difference's, and before you know it your blaming them for all your problems, slippery slope.

• Keeemon 2

22 minutes ago, TheKP said:

The newspaper coverage of Raheem Stirling has been absolutely disgusting. It had nothing to do with his footballing ability and all to do with racist old white men's perception of young black men

It's no different to what any other player at top clubs - look at Rooney - he can't go for a drink without being called a alcoholic , he can't talk to a female without being classed as cheating , his wife goes on holiday they are getting a divorce , 

ronaldo has been called a rapist , he has been called past it , 

there was a thing that said if sterling bought something it was classed as a waste of money but if foden did it it's a investment - that's nothing to do with skin colour that's to do with sterlings on crazy money , Foden is not , sterlings a 1st team play and internationalist , Foden is not 

2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Your probably right that it won't stop completely, but it would be a sad day if we stopped trying. There are worse things going on, but a lot of them started with racism and bigotry, pick any minority, start calling them names, pointing out there difference's, and before you know it your blaming them for all your problems, slippery slope.

The responsibility is on each individual to conduct themselves in the correct manner and most people do. Unfortunately the minority who think it is funny to call people names are present in all walks of life. I worked in a factory for 20 years where everyone had there turn at being mocked to some degree...with some names sticking for life. I myself got called the Milkybar Kid on my first day because of the blond hair and glasses and to this day I am still known to my former colleagues as Milky! One lad still gets called Casper because of his pale complexion. It is a part of everyday life and most people just get on with because the more you protest the worse it gets. Racism is vile and should have no place in society just like making fun of people who are thin or overweight. Comments can be damaging to all kinds of people. It is human nature to call names but to be a racist is a choice and that is where the problem is. It won’t be stopped anytime soon I’m afraid. ?

• Keeemon 3

Unfortunately the herd mentality is fuelled by barbarism....the romans had the Games where slaughter and  abuse was commonplace , we have our stadiums where sport is vilified by the corruption inside humanity when low frequency rules.....alcohol,and drugs flourish ,and of course once one person starts its all too easy for others to follow. 

Racism is evil , people must unite with love and wisdom , not divide with hate and violence......

• Keeemon 1

While not technically racism, all you have to do is look at a typical Rangers/Celtic match. Even though theres been huge clampdowns on sectarian violence/chanting it still occurs at every match and its just going to get worse. In my eyes, while I dont condone racism or any form of abuse, I personally have been brought up with it since day 1 and see it more as banter than actual abuse. I go to celtic bars and rangers bars and sure while in the blue camps i can get called every name under the sun, but you learn to live with it and take it on the chin, not that that makes it any better, just doesnt bother me as much as it might others. I guess thats a view a lot of people get into, especially after a few pints and thats a hard nut to crack. Political elements such as brexit will only add fuel to the fires. I personally cant see things ever changing for a very long time.

• Keeemon 1

2 minutes ago, howfin said:

While not technically racism, all you have to do is look at a typical Rangers/Celtic match. Even though theres been huge clampdowns on sectarian violence/chanting it still occurs at every match and its just going to get worse. In my eyes, while I dont condone racism or any form of abuse, I personally have been brought up with it since day 1 and see it more as banter than actual abuse. I go to celtic bars and rangers bars and sure while in the blue camps i can get called every name under the sun, but you learn to live with it and take it on the chin, not that that makes it any better, just doesnt bother me as much as it might others. I guess thats a view a lot of people get into, especially after a few pints and thats a hard nut to crack. Political elements such as brexit will only add fuel to the fires. I personally cant see things ever changing for a very long time.

Mark my words ,change will come , and it will come in the next three years ,and it will finally resolve this issue..

3 hours ago, h0tsh0t87 said:

It's no different to what any other player at top clubs - look at Rooney - he can't go for a drink without being called a alcoholic , he can't talk to a female without being classed as cheating , his wife goes on holiday they are getting a divorce , 

ronaldo has been called a rapist , he has been called past it , 

there was a thing that said if sterling bought something it was classed as a waste of money but if foden did it it's a investment - that's nothing to do with skin colour that's to do with sterlings on crazy money , Foden is not , sterlings a 1st team play and internationalist , Foden is not 

Wayne Rooney is an alcoholic, has repeatedly cheated on his wife and Ronaldo is a rapist. 

Raheem Stirling is a young lad who got a tattoo and bought some nice things 

• Keeemon 1

8 minutes ago, TheKP said:

Wayne Rooney is an alcoholic, has repeatedly cheated on his wife and Ronaldo is a rapist. 

Raheem Stirling is a young lad who got a tattoo and bought some nice things 

You have just proved my point ? Favouritism over one player - so it's  ok for the paper to broadcast these stories and they must be true as it's Ronaldo and Rooney 

but its nit ok as sterling is black ??? 

2 hours ago, howfin said:

I like your optimism? Cant see it myself, but I do hope you're right.

I am on this occasion totally right , however there  are many events coming which will show you the changes are now upon us all. We will win the day with Love and Laughter ...

Edited by Solario333

I would like to add something .... all division ,and all causes that define division are the source of intractable perturbance upon us all .. the sooner we recognise ourselves simply as human beings sharing a life,one with another, the sooner that life will have a real value.

• Puke! 3
  • Keeemon 1

Sterling has been the victim of much ridicule from the media in the past. Largely to the choices he makes in life, something that is not exclusive to him and not exclusive to the colour of his skin.

In regards to the racism in last nights game, it has proven a problem in that whole region in the past. Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and maybe Bosnia (not 100%) have all been charged by FIFA in the past either internationally or at club level. It is clearly ingrained into those societies as a whole for whatever reason, so I do not know why it still comes as a surprise or a shock when it happens. I don't believe that it is something that their respective FA's are happy with and I am sure each of these countries are doing things to try improve it (via education, punishments and such). But it is not something that is just fixed over night. Its a really horrible thing, that I fully disagree with, but I kind of feel that the media and people involved make too big of a thing of it. I feel that by highlighting it so much and showing such disgust and outrage towards it only serves others to make such outbursts.

57 minutes ago, Denman said:

Sterling has been the victim of much ridicule from the media in the past. Largely to the choices he makes in life, something that is not exclusive to him and not exclusive to the colour of his skin.

In regards to the racism in last nights game, it has proven a problem in that whole region in the past. Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro and maybe Bosnia (not 100%) have all been charged by FIFA in the past either internationally or at club level. It is clearly ingrained into those societies as a whole for whatever reason, so I do not know why it still comes as a surprise or a shock when it happens. I don't believe that it is something that their respective FA's are happy with and I am sure each of these countries are doing things to try improve it (via education, punishments and such). But it is not something that is just fixed over night. Its a really horrible thing, that I fully disagree with, but I kind of feel that the media and people involved make too big of a thing of it. I feel that by highlighting it so much and showing such disgust and outrage towards it only serves others to make such outbursts.

I see where your coming from, and agree to a point. But you just can't ignore it. I also think its to easy for white Europeans(of which am one) to trivialise racism and accept that it will always happen. Try telling that to black or ethnic minorities who suffer racism on a daily basis. I can't imagine what its like to walk in there shoes. 

7 minutes ago, Markymark said:

I see where your coming from, and agree to a point. But you just can't ignore it. I also think its to easy for white Europeans(of which am one) to trivialise racism and accept that it will always happen. Try telling that to black or ethnic minorities who suffer racism on a daily basis. I can't imagine what its like to walk in there shoes. 

From 1967 -1974 I lived on Grand Bahama Island , the population was about 35k and 95% were bahamian . Sometimes when you went into a club,or a bar you were the only white person. Since the bahamas was going through independence from uk at the time there was considerable tension.....and you could feel the anger .... so Yes I do know exactly how some minorities feel ....its a horrible feeling because it never goes away .... 

Edited by Solario333
  • Keeemon 1