Sign in to follow this  
e_abrams

UK Considers Credit Card Ban in an Attempt to Curb Compulsive Gambling

Recommended Posts

The United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC) announced has began a consultation with public, stakeholders and casino operators about the use of credit cards in online gambling. According to the UKGC notice the Commission “is seeking meaningful input to help determine if restrictions, potentially including an outright ban, are necessary to limit risks to consumers”.

According to responsible gambling organisations and the UK gambling watchdog, a prohibition on using credit cards for depositing would make the online gambling process safer, as players would be deterred from risking money they do not have.

Whether that's true remains to be seen.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only be a good thing. I ran up a lot of debt a long time ago now by using credit cards. Just to easy to lose money you don't have with this method

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dont think its a good idea really just makes things harder for a normal customer but perhaps an ability to turn off transactions at your bank would be a good alternative

Edited by howfin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Can only be a good thing. I ran up a lot of debt a long time ago now by using credit cards. Just to easy to lose money you don't have with this method

The Creditcard is an open door to malevolent misuse , both by the consumer, and of course by the bank , who are more than happy for you to run up a huge bill , therefore giving them a windfall interest at your expense.  I have had 50K in creditcard bills ......and went insolvent in 1997.....then I paid off as much as possible over 7 years and for the past 15 years have been in credit..... and do not use credit unless absolutely in emergency abroad !!   

I am convinced that coercive credit is more than a little responsible for the ME FIRST societies love of having what they want,as opposed to what they need , and bullshit celebrity big bucks culture fans the flames of greed by paying huge money to imbeciles ,who look good , but are vacillating vacuous, and greedy, without a shred of decency or wisdom......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, e_abrams said:

The United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC) announced has began a consultation with public, stakeholders and casino operators about the use of credit cards in online gambling. According to the UKGC notice the Commission “is seeking meaningful input to help determine if restrictions, potentially including an outright ban, are necessary to limit risks to consumers”.

According to responsible gambling organisations and the UK gambling watchdog, a prohibition on using credit cards for depositing would make the online gambling process safer, as players would be deterred from risking money they do not have.

Whether that's true remains to be seen.

The credit card was my deposit method of choice. I liked the fact that I had a bit more consumer protection if the casinos decided to mess me about which in retrospect was a bit of a misconception.

My credit card company were pretty bad for letting me overspend so I'd have these rotten sessions when stop time was simply a matter of when the transactions got refused. This might sound absurd but sometimes I'd be on tilt so bad that I really had no idea how many transactions I'd done and for how much except to know "it's bad".

Yeah ban them I say.  Nothing good can come of gambling on credit.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I've never done is run up debt on a credit card,  when you pair a credit card and Gambling and put into the wrong hands you have a real recipe for disaster 

I would encourage ANYONE to really THINK before you go down that very fast steep road  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bangers said:

The one thing I've never done is run up debt on a credit card,  when you pair a credit card and Gambling and put into the wrong hands you have a real recipe for disaster 

I would encourage ANYONE to really THINK before you go down that very fast steep road  

Absolutely. Was in the wrong hands with me. Over 20 years ago now, but bank balance bugger all, available credit card limits 1000s . Didn't end well

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Absolutely. Was in the wrong hands with me. Over 20 years ago now, but bank balance bugger all, available credit card limits 1000s . Didn't end well

My old Gran always said....................If you're using a credit card you can't afford it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bangers said:

My old Gran always said....................If you're using a credit card you can't afford it 

Exactly right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree too. I generally avoid credit cards altogether. Debit cards are a different matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I hear that a Government Agency , be it the Gambling Commission ,or any other spurious self praising entity --- especially watchdogs-- I know its all about taking more ,and delaying the obvious truth..... Granny knew the Truth --- Creditcards are just a method of keeping poor people in debt.....end of story !! 

So we shall need a full 2 year consultation , followed by a  consultative report,and a further 6 months analysis ,then a commons sub committee ,will tweak the end result so that the whole process is totally ineffective and we continue to pay the rich forever. 

OOOH thats a surprise !!!  does  it  remind you of Brexshit ..... Your country needs you !!

but your vote counts for nothing !!! I know lets have more time to delay the truth.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit cards should never be allowed in the first place for online gambling. This is how people lose a ton of money they dont have. Its basicly the worst thing possible for a gambling addict. It should be banned on every casino on the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite right. You can't use a credit card in a bookies or land based casino so why should you be able to online?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But would this affect PayPal deposits with a credit card as source of funds?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paypal isn't a popular method at the online casinos. So it wouldn't be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, benten said:

Paypal isn't a popular method at the online casinos. So it wouldn't be an issue.

@Gbhxu makes a good point actually.

I use paypal but have never topped it up with a credit card.

I dont know if Skrill or Neteller  would allow it.

Edited by david1111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skrill and Neteller allow credit card deposits, as I know. But again, the player must go open a new account, top it up. I am not sure if that helps. So in general, blocking credit cards directly at the casinos can have a positive impact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, benten said:

Skrill and Neteller allow credit card deposits, as I know. But again, the player must go open a new account, top it up. I am not sure if that helps. So in general, blocking credit cards directly at the casinos can have a positive impact. 

I agree it will help, but if these wallets allow credit card top ups its just a get around for someone who wants to deposit via that method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, david1111 said:

I agree it will help, but if these wallets allow credit card top ups its just a get around for someone who wants to deposit via that method.

I think technically the PayPal transaction is a credit transaction. You can spend a lot of money through PayPal and they try to get the money back either through direct debit if linked to account or credit card.

So I think PayPal would fall under the 'credit' umbrella and would also need to be banned.

Definitely worth mentioning this is the consultation as it's a good point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see whether they will even go through with it to begin with, because Solario333 is right, government authorities like this often lose a lot of time in considerations, negotiations and committees.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're using credit cards to deposit to gambling sites, you shouldn't be gambling in the first place, as you're just pissing money away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marky147 said:

If you're using credit cards to deposit to gambling sites, you shouldn't be gambling in the first place, as you're just pissing money away.

Agree marky ,but I've done it in the past to my cost.

It's so hard because you believe it's free money until the bills drop!.

Best thing they can do is ban this method

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, david1111 said:

Agree marky ,but I've done it in the past to my cost.

It's so hard because you believe it's free money until the bills drop!.

Best thing they can do is ban this method

 

The only reason credit cards exist is to fleece the working man and line the pockets of those who make all laws and apply them to restrict your ability to repay the money , by increasing the cost of living and holding your wages down...its a never ending spiral of descent  into poverty  , increasing despair and reliance on credit ...... Gambling is a great avenue for this abuse of potential applied against all try to better their lot.

Edited by Solario333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Marky147 said:

Use them right, and you actually make on CCs.

Correct..... can be done and has been , but only by about 2% of people can be disciplined enough to do this....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this