Gordon banks

Miller26

1 minute ago, Miller26 said:

Yes mate , we won the World Cup with him in goal 

Ahh, I thought it was a familar name, when get a chance back on WA search, will have a look see, take it, he was around the same time 60's, as Geoff Hurst, who, even though I know jack about footy, is a stellar chap in the real world ?

• Keeemon 1

56 minutes ago, david1111 said:

He was a true legend and pulled off the best save ever against pele.

Very sad

I remember the one handed save !! It was awesome !!

I was in Athens during the 1966 world cup final ....so watched it on the telly inns the Hotel in Glyfadda !!  We hammered the Germans ......

Edited by Solario333
  • Puke! 1
  • Keeemon 1

57 minutes ago, david1111 said:

He was a true legend and pulled off the best save ever against pele.

Very sad

I remember the one handed save !! It was awesome !! I was in Athens during the 1966 world cup final ....so watched t on the telly inns the Hotel in Glyfadda !!  

Edited by Solario333

I am too young to remember 1966 but I do remember the news on the day he had the car accident that left him blind in one eye that basically caused his career to end.  He always seemed such a gentle man as well as a gentleman.  When you compare the likes of Gordon with the modern day footballer it is bad that they were not really appreciated by the government and football heirachy to the degree that they should have been.

RIP

• Keeemon 3

He was a fantastic keeper.  He was followed by the likes of Clemence and Shilton  .  Bob Wilson for Scotland and Pat Jennings of Northern Ireland.   Not to forget Peter Bonetti and Alex Stepney.  England keepers of today are no where near Gordon Banks  standard.   I am sure he would have made many a world team selection.

Edited by philinvicta
  • Keeemon 1