Jonno Reilly Giving Up Gambling Vlogs

Rocknrolla

Unfortunately, not an uncommon story, got a feeling there's more than a few of us here that have been or going through something similar. I've never met a gambler yet that hasn't got a loan to cover our debts, always a couple of grand more than we need, so we can still gamble away. We are incapable of being in control of our financial life and until we admit it to ourselves it's never going to change. For us gambling is not a pastime, it's not a small bet on the grand national, it's who we are, it's defines us. I have giving up gambling from time to time and carried on with my life in a mainstream kind of way, but am not being true to myself, am a gambler and that's is who I am. So I set controls, I don't control my finances, I have no way of getting access to cash, I have no bank/credit cards, I cannot be trusted with them. If I need money for anything expensive or booking a holiday, my daughter takes me to the bank which makes me feel like a 12 year old. Why do I do this? because I am a gambler, if this is what it takes for me to still be able to gamble, it's a small price to pay. I hope the man in the video finds his path, it's a hard road ahead for him. But one day at a time, stay in control, stay strong. Much love mate.

• Puke! 2
  • Keeemon 7

5 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Unfortunately, not an uncommon story, got a feeling there's more than a few of us here that have been or going through something similar. I've never met a gambler yet that hasn't got a loan to cover our debts, always a couple of grand more than we need, so we can still gamble away. We are incapable of being in control of our financial life and until we admit it to ourselves it's never going to change. For us gambling is not a pastime, it's not a small bet on the grand national, it's who we are, it's defines us. I have giving up gambling from time to time and carried on with my life in a mainstream kind of way, but am not being true to myself, am a gambler and that's is who I am. So I set controls, I don't control my finances, I have no way of getting access to cash, I have no bank/credit cards, I cannot be trusted with them. If I need money for anything expensive or booking a holiday, my daughter takes me to the bank which makes me feel like a 12 year old. Why do I do this? because I am a gambler, if this is what it takes for me to still be able to gamble, it's a small price to pay. I hope the man in the video finds his path, it's a hard road ahead for him. But one day at a time, stay in control, stay strong. Much love mate.

I agree with 99% of what you said mate but whilst  I can only speak for myself, I’ve never borrowed money to gamble. Don’t get me wrong I’ve spent every penny I have mate . I’m probably in the middle somewhere ??

• Keeemon 1

34 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Excellent post mate 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Miller26 said:

I agree with 99% of what you said mate but whilst  I can only speak for myself, I’ve never borrowed money to gamble. Don’t get me wrong I’ve spent every penny I have mate . I’m probably in the middle somewhere ??

Don't get me wrong mate, I was terrible a good few years ago, but am a lot older now and would never go back, still better safe than sorry as am hopeless with money so I don't take the chance. I wouldn't be me if I didn't gamble, so it's nice to have some controls in place. My way is not for everyone, some need to stop completely. This just works for me.

• Keeemon 2

I'm always fascinated on a gamblers different levels, I've never gambled on a phone or on a credit card and when i bust out it's normally just me busting my own money,  I have borrowed from a pal because I gambled away the Gas or Electric money but that loan would be repaid in like a 2 week period, must be horrible having a big debt because of gambling or losing a house or business.

Crazy how deep people can get, but I understand it.

Fair-play to the fella for going public like that.

• Keeemon 3

9 minutes ago, Bangers said:

I'm always fascinated on a gamblers different levels, I've never gambled on a phone or on a credit card and when i bust out it's normally just me busting my own money,  I have borrowed from a pal because I gambled away the Gas or Electric money but that loan would be repaid in like a 2 week period, must be horrible having a big debt because of gambling or losing a house or business.

Crazy how deep people can get, but I understand it.

Fair-play to the fella for going public like that.

Yes mate it’s all about levels. Mine might seem crazy to someone but small to others . I’ve left myself proper skint in the past and did attempt to get an overdraft once but I cancelled my application after a few hours of thinking. Must be horrible like you say 

• Keeemon 2