spursman

Andy Murray, what's your opinion on him? like or dislike?

1 hour ago, david1111 said:

its like with any sports person that has to give up the game.

a lot will continue with coaching etc, but some go off the rails. i doubt Judy would allow that

Yeh but he still young and some of his best tennis years were ahead of him

I remember him being asked who does he want to win the world cup , to which he replied (Anyone but England). Guys a cunt end of. And i know @Markymark his words where taken out of context with the whole i hate the English thing , but he plays for Scotland and only Scotland hes made it very clear when he brings out his Scottish flag when he wins. It also doesn't help he has the personality of a brick.  

I've actually met him and his mother (when I say met I mean I served them drinks & food), hard to really judge someone from a few very brief encounters but from that she was pretty rude and basically talked to me without even looking at me! For me having worked surrounded by these tennis players, the kids trying to emulate them and a couple of my mates being tennis coaches its very apparent there is something fundamentally wrong with the system where it seems its a sport mainly for the wealthy (if you want to excel) as the lessons are very expensive when you add them all up and an air of arrogance around the tennis clubs. A lot of kids don't really want to be there and seem pressured by the parents.

I think if my kids wanted to become pro tennis players I would take them out of the environment, look at what the Williams sisters achieved from Compton, being coached by their dad from some tennis books!

• Like 3

As a person/player I don't really mind him, he seems pretty patriotic to his country which was never going to win him over with the english fans but full credit for not giving a shit and loving his country

• Like 2

There is something to be said for pushy parents, Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton would probably not be where they are today without them but I don't really care for Judy Murray myself, seems to enjoy hanging off his coat tails too much and this effort to become a celebrity in her own right is cringeworthy.  His grandmother suffers from the same neurological condition I do and attends the same ward as me but by all accounts she is alright going by what everyone else says.

25 minutes ago, pillzandskillz said:

I remember him being asked who does he want to win the world cup , to which he replied (Anyone but England). Guys a cunt end of. And i know @Markymark his words where taken out of context with the whole i hate the English thing , but he plays for Scotland and only Scotland hes made it very clear when he brings out his Scottish flag when he wins. It also doesn't help he has the personality of a brick.  

I don’t see the problem with anyone being patriotic he’s Scottish so why not get a Scottish flag 

Even the way he plays... he gave away the momentum of baseline rallies by playing safe and hitting a safe double back hand rather than trying to hit a winner when he had his opponent moving. Pundits use to say he was awsome at making players play the extra shot but realistically an in form federer, Nadal and Djokovic could just hit winners at will against him because he was too concerned about playing safe 

Edited by Brownman24

20 minutes ago, VillaLad said:

I don’t see the problem with anyone being patriotic he’s Scottish so why not get a Scottish flag 

Why not both flags? Or why not the Union jack which represents both country's? 

Edited by pillzandskillz

1 hour ago, pillzandskillz said:

To be fair he is Scottish. But take your point mate. 😁

6 minutes ago, Markymark said:

To be fair he is Scottish. But take your point mate. 😁

Just for the record i think as far as Tennis goes he will be without a doubt one of the greatest in history to play the game , no denying his ability at all.  😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pillzandskillz said:

Why not both flags? Or why not the Union jack which represents both country's? 

Quite simply if I won anything I’d be grabbing the England flag the Union Jack means nothing to me I am English 1st and foremost and Andy Murray is Scottish so he has every right to grab the Scotland flag.

• Like 4

From a playing point of view, he was unlucky to be around in the Federer/ Nadal / Djokovic era, but come out of it with decent success. Few people mentioned he was patriotic, which is a good thing surely, even if your an annoying Yank or one of those guys you see in the summer dressed in full england footy kit laying on his union jack towel on the beach. He was good when on Mock the Week and had the piss taken out of him no end on there, and he seemed to soak it up.with good humour. A bit depressing at times, but we all cant be jolly all the time (except Jollyman), but he never come over as cocky and arrogant to me like some sportsmen like Lewis Hamilton. Just a hard working sports professional. In fact most Tennis top male players to be fair all come over well compared to top players in other sports like Golf and Football in particular. Pity his career has ended like this as he could have gone on for another 2/3 years easily.

• Like 2

I agree with quite a bit here, I don't buy the British thing, he is scotish and proud fair play. 

With Henman, my goodness what a fraud.

Rock touched on it saying it is an middle class sport so true. Me and my brother would go to the park at 4pm sometimes 4 tennis courts vacant. We were 11 and the park warden would sometimes come around and say £8.50 for a hour, which to a ten year old is impossible.  

The idiots in parliament don't care about the youth, about sports, deep down they want the mayhem.

Anyway with Murray I think the one thing that resonated with me was that he never seemed to enjoyed the sport the way other players do. To an extent I can understand that, players used to say the same about me, because I always demanded better and was never satisfied with my own performance, regardless but I always enjoyed he success of my teammates and teams.

I dunno maybe I feel sorry for him, perhaps he was bullied by his mother, hence no childhood and ended up a miserable twat because of that. 

Bugger I didn't expect to end up with that opinion 😂

• Like 1

Never been a fan. Granted he's won Wimbledon a couple of times, and well done for that, but I don't think he's ever been a lover of England... Probably, that's why.. He's made millions out of Tennis, but always seems so miserable!!  If I'd made millions out of gambling, I think I'd be the happiest man in England!!!

Edited by eddieball1
  • Like 1

I've never been into tennis or anything of the sort.. Will watch a big match if it's on..

But ever since the world cup in 2010 when he was asked who would you like to win the world cup (by an English media outfit) his response was a typical jock one which was 'anyone but England' then started laughing.. so after that I wanted anyone but him to win tennis trophies..

Guys a grade A bell end in my eyes

People slagging him off for not liking England why?

Hes Scottish so why should he say anything different?